Return air tickets now required for entry to Thailand ?

Im an Australian who has travelled to Thailand from Australia and returned numerous times over many years. I often book a one way ticket to Thailand to keep my travel options open. I have never been stopped at immigration before because I didn't have a return ticket to Australia. This visit was the same, so arrived in Thailand on a one way ticket and no problems. However, I did a short visit to Cambodia from Thailand last week and when returning I was stopped In Phnom Penh airport at the Bangkok Air check in counter and told I had to show them my ticket OUT of Thailand. I politely argued that it was not necessary however they refused to issue a boarding pass unless I showed a ticket out of Thailand. Luckily I had booked a ticket back to Australia the week beforehand so was able to show that and allowed through. Then got to the Cambodian immigration check point and I asked them. They said it was not a requirement and it was just an airline staff misunderstanding. However again, upon arrival in Thailand I was asked at immigration to show a ticket OUT of Thailand. First time!!.... is this a new requirement??  Interestingly, when I apply for my Thai Pass, I show a one way air ticket with other documents required and am granted the Thai Pass.. on several occasions? In fact The Thai pass to Thailand from Cambodia was issued with only the air ticket from PP to BKK. Anyone know the rules because I can't see return ticket listed as a requirement anywhere.

• Like 1

I’m not sure the exact wording but

if you enter a country without a residence permit ANYWHERE in the world, the Airline MUST check if you have a ticket out. If they don’t they’re liable for you NOT being able to leave.

So to answer your original post YES you must have a outward ticket, it doesn’t matter if they didn't ask you the last 100 times, you should have a ticket out.

Sometimes I’ve show a screen shot of a cancelled ticket when asked and they haven't really checked or read it properly, but I’ve been asked maybe 5 times in last 10-15 years traveling to LOS, and other countries also.

Edited by bolt
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the clarification. I did forget to add that I am Visa on Arrival now. Jetstar does in fact inform you at check-in in Australia but don't stop you from boarding. Singapore Air, Qantas and Malaysian have never mentioned it to me at check-in. Shame, because it seems I need to book return tickets and lose the flexibility of the one way ticket. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TC206 said:

Thank you all for the clarification. I did forget to add that I am Visa on Arrival now. Jetstar does in fact inform you at check-in in Australia but don't stop you from boarding. Singapore Air, Qantas and Malaysian have never mentioned it to me at check-in. Shame, because it seems I need to book return tickets and lose the flexibility of the one way ticket. 

You mean visa-exempt entry?

Visa on Arrival is a totally different kettle of wombats.

Not overly surprised at being double checked by the airline and inbound immigration. Cambodia is still prime border running country and just because you're doing it by plane, doesn't mean there's less oversight or a lower bar of evidence to suggest you're not milking something somewhere.

Edited by NanLaew

Immigration and the airlines can always ask for a return ticket. The did not ask before does not guarantee that they won't ask in the future. I have travelled to Europe (schengen countries) numerous times with one way ticket and and an US passport but one  time the IO in Zurich insisted that I must have a ticket out of a Schengen country within the three months time period.  I booked a ticket from Portugal to UK to be able to enter Zurich. And unfortunately when I tried to enter UK, I was denied entry because I had just visited UK a few months before my entry to France, a Schengen country. 

"onward ticket . com" provides an onward ticket for a very fair price.

I am traveling on a one way ticket soon and plan to use them; they seem to be reasonably priced and give the impression of reliability.

Haven't used them yet so we shall see.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lordblackader said:

You don't specify how you are entering Thailand. If visa exempt or tourist visa, it has always been a requirement.  Only on a Non-Imm visa do you not need a ticket out. 

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/who-requires-visa/visa-exemption-scheme#:~:text=Foreigners entering Thailand under the,or 20%2C000 Baht per family).

" Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme are required at the port of entry to have proof of planned travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date. Otherwise, a tourist visa must be obtained before entering Thailand."

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/types-of-visa/tourist-visa-tr

3. Travel tickets in and out of Thailand (Period of stay in Thailand not more than 60 days)

Exactly.

I do not understand why people keep dragging the the airlines into it.  It has always been a Thai requirement based on visa status.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Exactly.

I do not understand why people keep dragging the the airlines into it.  It has always been a Thai requirement based on visa status.

In the main because it is rare to be asked for an onward flight at Thai airport on arrival.

The requirement comes from the airline to issue boarding pass.

Not always but common. 

If entering with a visa (even TV) you will not be asked for onward flight by airline or immigration.

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In the main because it is rare to be asked for an onward flight at Thai airport on arrival.

The requirement comes from the airline to issue boarding pass.

Not always but common. 

If entering with a visa (even TV) you will not be asked for onward flight by airline or immigration.

Why do some seem to think they can interpret the rules set by the Thai authorities to suit themselves.

Just because a requirement is not enforced does not mean it is not there.

How many false "is this a new requirement" threads has there been over the years.

BTW.   It is the same elsewhere, I had to show return ticket to the IO when I entered Vietnam on visa exempt, nothing to do with the airline.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Why do some seem to think they can interpret the rules set by the Thai authorities to suit themselves

The OP was not referring to the Thai authorities...

He stated this.....

"However, I did a short visit to Cambodia from Thailand last week and when returning I was stopped In Phnom Penh airport at the Bangkok Air check in counter and told I had to show them my ticket OUT of Thailand"....

He is referring to onward flight required by the airline..

Two separate things.

Thai immigration can ask for onward flight if entering visa exempt and independent of that the airline can request the same to issue boarding pass.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:55 AM, TC206 said:

when returning I was stopped In Phnom Penh airport at the Bangkok Air check in counter and told I had to show them my ticket OUT of Thailand.

Onward travel has always been required for visa exempt entry. Each airline writes their own conditions of carriage but they all follow a similar format, This is how BA word it, note the "You" - "Not us" comment.

13a1) You (not us) must:

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 4:55 AM, TC206 said:

SQ at Changi requested to see an onward ticket despite my non-immO. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Letseng said:

SQ at Changi requested to see an onward ticket despite my non-immO. 

They were incorrect.

I assume you had a current non imm O visa.

An onward flight is not required.

A current visa or reentry permit would not required proof of onward flight for boarding pass.

Did you draw it to their attention? 

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

I was asked same by Emirates with my non"O" cleared up very quickly.

Can you elaborate might help others.

Was it as simple as pointing out your non O that they had overlooked? 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you elaborate might help others.

Was it as simple as pointing out your non O that they had overlooked? 

The check in staff was not aware O visa's did not require onward travel. I politely asked her to clarify with a supervisor / manager, she did then apologised. Just gave me a few butterflies. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

The check in staff was not aware O visa's did not require onward travel. I politely asked her to clarify with a supervisor / manager, she did then apologised. Just gave me a few butterflies. 

What does the supervisor /mgr  check ! is there documentation that we can show

them in case a Super/mgr . become perplexed ? Maybe I'm over thinking this.

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

What does the supervisor /mgr  check ! is there documentation that we can show

them in case a Super/mgr . become perplexed ? Maybe I'm over thinking this.

What are you actually asking?

Airlines can insist on an onward flight if flying visa exempt.

If flying with a visa or reentry permit an onward flight is not required.

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

What are you actually asking?

Airlines can insist on an onward flight if flying visa exempt.

The comment about the "The check in staff was not aware O visa's did not require onward travel. I politely asked her to clarify with a supervisor / manager, she did then apologised. Just gave me a few butterflies. "

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

The comment about the "The check in staff was not aware O visa's did not require onward travel

It happens often. It helps if you have reentry permit or visa marked and draw attention to check in staff makes it simple.

• Thanks 1