Biden’s age would be ‘major issue’ if he runs again, former Obama adviser says

onthedarkside

A question for the US experts. If Pres Bidon dies in office, Kamala Harris automatically gets sworn in as the next President, correct ? Who would then become her Deputy President ?

Then at the next election  could she/would she actually be running for a second term in office in theory, should she choose to do so ? 

At that time could she choose a new running mate whom would become Deputy Pres should she then win that election ?

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Biden was largely elected by his party's stance on oil and gas. His reforms have been heavily curtailed by the GOP in the senate plus the corrupt Manchin.

So how is that working out for Biden? Manchin might be the only one left to run in 2024.

53 minutes ago, Excel said:

A question for the US experts. If Pres Bidon dies in office, Kamala Harris automatically gets sworn in as the next President, correct ? Who would then become her Deputy President ?

Then at the next election  could she/would she actually be running for a second term in office in theory, should she choose to do so ? 

At that time could she choose a new running mate whom would become Deputy Pres should she then win that election ?

Good questions.

The next in line is speaker of the  house Pelosi.

Harris wouldn't be required to have a Vice President.

That initial period would not count as her first term.

If she later ran for president she would choose a running mate to be VP if elected.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good questions.

The next in line is speaker of the  house Pelosi.

Harris wouldn't be required to have a Vice President.

That initial period would not count as her first term.

If she later ran for president she would choose a running mate to be VP if elected.

Many thanks for that

Having got rid of Bernie (the only candidate worthy of the office of President) the Dems then "managed" the coronation of Biden and attempted to glue it all together by nominating a V-P who was both black/Asian and a woman, the same woman who confronted Biden in the primaries by drawing attention (she who was brought up in French Canada with well-heeled parents) to the fact that she was that "little girl on the bus" - a comment aimed directly at Biden for his support of "busing" (with the implication that his stance on busing was "racist").

Happy families.  But once the V-P was in office, the Dems hastened to make sure she did nothing at all significant during her time in office. If Biden, against all odds, chooses (or is in a position to choose) to run for office in 2024, the Dems will ensure that Kamala is not the V-P choice (she will be encouraged to find work elsewhere).

I am in short surprised that Democrats were not outraged by the way Sanders was treated (unless of course the party big-wigs promised him a post in the Cabinet to shut him up).

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:38 PM, ozimoron said:

Climate action might actually happen as well as gun control. The problem with the right wing now is that they are focused on a single issue. They don't care what happens to the planet so long as they can stop immigration and preserve white supremacy.

The single issue problem right now is consuming the left, not the right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing can be said officially before the mid-terms, but I would have thought the chances of Joe running again in 2024 are close to zero. Maybe too late for the Bern, but I wouldn't put it past Hillary to try!  No, it's Michelle Obama in 2024 for sure.  You heard it here first!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Nothing can be said officially before the mid-terms, but I would have thought the chances of Joe running again in 2024 are close to zero. Maybe too late for the Bern, but I wouldn't put it past Hillary to try!  No, it's Michelle Obama in 2024 for sure.  You heard it here first!

I'll zip down to Ladbrokes straight away. ????

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The single issue problem right now is consuming the left, not the right.

that's classic projection. If that was true, why are all these racially motivated mass shootings happening and why were white supremacist groups behind the Jan 6 insurrection? The right is totally consumed by race.

• Sad 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, Jingthing said:

I have a contrarian view that Trump will be sent to prison and Biden won't run again. 

That would mean an open democratic primary.

So the democrats need someone younger, dynamic, and appealing to.white suburban women voters.

Maybe Pete Buttigeig.

Apart from Buttigeig what other very credible POTUS candidates do the dems have? 

Is anybody being groomed currently as a potential dem candidate?

On the side of this what are the dems doing to sort of the 'how to vote' mess so that the current criticizms re mail in ballots etc., is all finished?

Also sort out the mess created by trumps goons re voting machines? Surely there must be online machines which are foolproof? And it seems to me this needs urgent attention so that there's plenty of time for testing current machines, developing better machines and all with GOP folks highly involved to get an 'all OK' sign off to use voting machines. 

If all of this is not sorted before the next election it leaves it wide open for the GOP to claim all sorts of irregularities, collusion etc. This would be very undesireable.   

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

that's classic projection. If that was true, why are all these racially motivated mass shootings happening and why were white supremacist groups behind the Jan 6 insurrection? The right is totally consumed by race.

I was referring to what seems to be an overriding single issue occupying all of the Dems time right now. Nothing to do with the right or Republicans, or whatever you're on about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, olfu said:

I dont see any problem with Biden as President for another 4 years--after all Medicare covers free wheelchair.

The problem is that he needs to run against Trump (who hopefully will be behind bars) to have a decent chance against the republican. I can't see him beating DeSantis at least based on the current political environment. That could change.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The people that won't accept a gay president are mostly republicans anyway. 

A non complete list.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/586948-ten-democrats-who-could-run-in-2024-if-biden-doesnt/

I continue to like Amy Klobuchar.

My concern, is that though Pete and Amy are good candidates, they could struggle. A brief google search shows findings that blacks and latinos are a bit less likely to be accepting of gays and that seemed to be the case in 2020 where Pete did poorly. Maybe things are changing and he’ll be better known next time. If Amy was the candidate I could see her getting the Hillary treatment. She can come across as tough in a way that will appeal to some but may turn off others. She should be made more high profile now so people can get to know her. That’s why Joe did so well. Nice guy, generic, and known to Americans. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Too old I would say for next time. Pete Buttigieg seems the most able communicator of the 2020 crowd. Should be better for four more years of doing high level stuff rather than just a local small time mayor. Can America accept a gay candidate. Or Bernie if he is still up for it. 

But how old is Bernie?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Apart from Buttigeig what other very credible POTUS candidates do the dems have? 

On the side of this what are the dems doing to sort of the 'how to vote' mess so that the current criticizms re mail in ballots etc., is all finished?

Also sort out the mess created by trumps goons re voting machines? Surely there must be online machines which are foolproof? And it seems to me this needs urgent attention so that there's plenty of time for testing current machines, developing better machines and all with GOP folks highly involved to get an 'all OK' sign off to use voting machines. 

If all of this is not sorted before the next election it leaves it wide open for the GOP to claim all sorts of irregularities, collusion etc. This would be very undesireable.   

Well, you are assuming that the GOP would agree to limit opportunities to contest elections results when they don't like them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Trump republicans don't need any basis in fact or reality to attempt to overturn elections. They have become the party of autocracy. There were efforts made by the democrats to check that, but they were blocked by Joe Machin.

Almost half in new poll sees likelihood US will ‘cease to be a democracy in the future’ | The Hill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Excel said:

Yes, Harris would be sworn in ASAP if Biden died.  Look to how much time elapsed between the death of JFK and the swearing in of his VP Johnson -- he was sworn in on an airplane.

What happens next is mostly in the hands of the party.  A new VP will be appointed.  If the new president dies before a VP is appointed then Speaker of the House gets sworn in.  Otherwise the Speaker does not automatically ascend to VP.  When Nixon's VP resigned due to corruption allegations the current Speaker did not automatically become VP.

The VP really can't be called a deputy president, in my lifetime the VP was someone you hardly heard mention of outside of campaign time.  If you look back you'll find the Pres and the VP, historically, hardly spoke to each other: when Franklin Roosevelt died his successor, Truman, knew nothing about his WWII strategy.  When JFK died Johnson had no idea what JFK's strategy for Vietnam was.  In 1990s Clinton's VP (Al Gore, a former US Senator) took the initiative for a bill that allowed the Internet to become what it is today, an unusually high profile task.  After that W. Bush's VP, a savvy b_lls to the wall operator initiated a slew of VP powers -- to say he outsmarted his boss would be an understatement.  It is much to Biden's credit, as Obama's VP, he did not assume to take on the VP powers that Cheney enacted.

• Like 2

I recall one evening after watching a debate for 2019-2020 Dem primaries feeling down in the dumps because I didn't like any of them.

I think Harris doesn't have what it takes, I definitely soured on her after the Kavanaugh hearings.  The Dems need the Black vote.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The people that won't accept a gay president are mostly republicans anyway. 

A non complete list.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/586948-ten-democrats-who-could-run-in-2024-if-biden-doesnt/

I continue to like Amy Klobuchar.

Unfortunately, none of those names excite me.  People may think Joe Biden is past his prime, but he's still the most trusted name in Dem circles.  One name that I think could be a potential national player is John Fetterman.  I realize he's currently running for a senate seat in PA.  But this guy has the potential to capture a sizable portion of the US electorate. 

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

I recall one evening after watching a debate for 2019-2020 Dem primaries feeling down in the dumps because I didn't like any of them.

I think Harris doesn't have what it takes, I definitely soured on her after the Kavanaugh hearings.  The Dems need the Black vote.

And yet the Democrats won by over 7 million votes.

Harris nailed Kavanaugh with a question that will come back if the Democrats take both houses in the mid-terms.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

One name that I think could be a potential national player is John Fetterman.  I realize he's currently running for a senate seat in PA.  But this guy has the potential to capture a sizable portion of the US electorate. 

Unfortunately Fetterman's health may be a problem.  I first heard of him when he called back at some DT booster regarding evidence of voter fraud.  He's the kind of gutsy, no bs guy the Dems desperately need, I wish him well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/john-fetterman-election-fraud-reward-request-texas-lt-governor/

Doesn't he look like Shrek?  :smile:

Age is a major issue (and so is his mental fitness), but hardly the only issue. Biden is not well liked at this point and his policy failures are reflected in the polls. The democratic party is in huge trouble, Biden is the reason.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/biden-sinks-to-new-low-in-harvard-poll-as-majority-of-americans-have-doubts-about-his-mental-fitness

Edited by bocaBob
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:21 AM, scorecard said:

Tulsi Gabbard by a landslide

• Like 1