Bangkok set to be smoke free!....Yes, that's CIGARETTE smoke

webfact

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Perhaps the perils of Bangkok's vehicle exhaust fumes should take a higher priority than cigarette smoke

Agreed....  It seems crazy that they would concentrate on cigarettes when continuing to do nothing about the abundance of vehicles spewing out black-fumes (many of them publc-transport-buses). 

Additionally - making Bangkok 100% smoke free is utterly draconian. 

IF people want to smoke, let them smoke, just so long as they can do it in areas which do not harm others. 

Thus:

I don’t believe people should be permitted to smoke in the street as that impacts others. 

I don’t believe people should be permitted to smoke on their own balconies or in their own condo’s as that smoke also spreads to others. 

But, everyone should be given an area to have a cigarette...  i.e. in the streets there should be area’s where people can stop and have a cigarette.

In condos people should be given a smoking area downstairs outside etc. 

------------

I was recently in a bar (overseas) with a work colleague...  I was about to go to the airport.

He asked if it was ok if he smokes... I said I’d prefer not, I didn’t want to smell of smoke getting on a plane etc. He had a vape, I was absolutely fine with that. 

• Like 2

They should let smokers smoke but just not near crowded places. Smoking where there are very few people is fine.

I have seen many people smoking near the entrance of shopping malls, entrance to the banks, busy pedestrian walks, parking lots or markets which is a no-no because non-smokers can still smell the cigar smoke when they pass by.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

And what about the smog? I read more about the smog problems then cigarette problems. What next?

Not to allow people to drive fossil fueled transportation.

No more sugar

No more alcohol

No more meat

However i would say no more kids, reduce world population.  

Wishful thinking.  But if you enact a ruke you have to enforce it. 
Just like mask wearing.  It was a rule.  But if a person wasn’t wearing a mask. No one in authority would say anything 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

to make Bangkok totally free of cigarette smoke. 

Oh really!! 

I bet the bar stool ex-pat pundits will still have their packet of fags, a lighter and an ashtray in front of them, just like breaking the current "no smoking" law.

18 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Oh really!! 

I bet the bar stool ex-pat pundits will still have their packet of fags, a lighter and an ashtray in front of them, just like breaking the current "no smoking" law.

Love to see the signs posted in certain places in Thong Lor , Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza, to name only three, that say " NO SMOKING"  ????

• Thanks 1

Public Smoking rooms would be beneficial for those who smoke and do not smoke. A new beneficial industry created. Congratulations 

Working with renovations  of ventilation, most smokers should experience what we deal with once a lifetime. We also building new smoking rooms up to date  and chambers offshore, quite good business actually. 

Maybe I should offer my experience in Bangkok. 

Edited by Hummin

Banning smoking is not a bad idea. My father had emphysima from smoking and suffocated to death over several years. My aunt died of lung cancer but smoked up until the hour she died. It is like very slow suicide. 

If people need a strong hand, so be it. 

It is illegal to smoke on the streets in downtown Kyoto, Japan.

They have created enclosed 'smoking areas' just off many of the major intersections where people are allowed to smoke without offending those who wish to avoid the bad smells. Generally speaking, most Japanese are very considerate of others, and do not wish to offend, so it's very rare to see anyone other than non-Japanese smoking in public in that area.

Sucks if you're a smoker, but I'm all for that ... no cig smoking period.  Ban the sale of completely would be even better.  Save more than a few lives.  I don't know anyone who hasn't already, or would love to quit. 

Everyone I know smoked because of the addiction, not any pleasure of it.  The habitual social aspect of it faded fast  once they quit.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

And what about the smog? I read more about the smog problems then cigarette problems. What next?

No more sugar

No more alcohol

No more meat

No more political BS

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Public Smoking rooms would be beneficial for those who smoke and do not smoke. A new beneficial industry created. Congratulations 

Working with renovations  of ventilation, most smokers should experience what we deal with once a lifetime. We also building new smoking rooms up to date  and chambers offshore, quite good business actually. 

Maybe I should offer my experience in Bangkok. 

Didn't swampy have smoking rooms at one time or am I thinking of South Koreas Incheon airport.... 

23 minutes ago, swerve said:

Eliminating cigarettes is way down the list of things needed to improve the quality of life for people living or visiting Bangkok. (I don't smoke.)

Electric cars and motorbikes? So we can burn more oil and gas to make electricity? While we waiting for better solutions. 

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

No more sugar

No more alcohol

No more meat

I don't drive.

Avoid as much sugar as is possible and would welcome legislation to reduce the amount added to foods/drinks.

Teetotal.

Vegan.

So no problem with any of the above.

No more sugar

No more alcohol

No more meat

Do you know that some people are allergic to cigar smoke? That means it cause these symptoms below (I can't link the website because I am not sure whether it is allowed)

The irritating chemicals in cigarettes and cigarette smoke cause symptoms similar to allergic rhinitis like coughing, congestion, wheezing, runny nose and headaches

Edited by EricTh

No more sugar

No more alcohol

No more meat

You have ask yourself if it makes sense or not, 

Less fossil use Yes not total ban

Less sugar yes not total ban

Less alcohol makes sense for some

Less meat makes sense not total ban

This is inevitable and can't imagine a world where people are smoking in public in 20 years.  I've learned to not be angry with smokers and now just feel sorry for them.  99.9% of the time I can avoid the second hand smoke and this is vast improvement from the early 2000's.  I wish I didn't have to subsidize their heath care cost but not loosing sleep over it.