accident insurance only

K Chan

Early 50s healthy, fit, no health issues. On retirement visa. Currently planning to stay in Thailand for 1 or 2 years, maybe more but going to play it by ear. In the past few decades in the UK not really had to visit doctors or hospitals often. So going to take a small risk and planning not to get health insurance, just going to pay as I go so to speak (if something really bad happens, will probably end up flying back to the UK). But planning just to get accident insurance only. Can anyone recommend any insurers? Is not getting health insurance and only accident insurance a good idea? What's people's thoughts.

The best I've found is Axa, 250k per accident medical cover for 6,900 baht a year. If in Pattaya go direct to their office on Sukhumvit. Most other insurances i found were low cover.

Axa also has a 500k policy for 15k, i decided that wasn't worth it. All I want is them to treat me in an emergency and i pay extra money as required

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

get the cheapest health from the pacific cross, which for your age starts from 13k/year (covers 270k per condition, so very basic, but good enough for covid hospitalisation etc).

They have 100k accident included. For an additional 150b per 100k cover you can top up to 1mln for 1350b.

That's worldwide policy, would serve you as a travel policy, even in the UK.

Compare here different pacific cross and with the other 5 insurers

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=52&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=348157

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

Some time ago I also thought that only a real accident is a real problem. Like being in a big motorcycle crash or something like that.

And then sometime later I had a minor issue with my shoulder. I couldn't move my right arm more than 1cm or so, otherwise it hurt like hell. Consequence: Doing nothing! It was some time ago but as far as I remember it took weeks until I could move normal again. And it was not even caused by an accident.

I learned from that that it doesn't need much to be "disabled".

That is obviously still no reason to get an insurance. But I think it is something to consider.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The best I've found is Axa, 250k per accident medical cover for 6,900 baht a year. If in Pattaya go direct to their office on Sukhumvit. Most other insurances i found were low cover.

Axa also has a 500k policy for 15k, i decided that wasn't worth it. All I want is them to treat me in an emergency and i pay extra money as required

What are the limitations on that policy? i.e. age, disability, etc.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:36 PM, internationalism said:

get the cheapest health from the pacific cross, which for your age starts from 13k/year (covers 270k per condition, so very basic, but good enough for covid hospitalisation etc).

They have 100k accident included. For an additional 150b per 100k cover you can top up to 1mln for 1350b.

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=52&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=0&leadid=348157

That additional 150 baht per 100k cover, is that for per condition or for accident?

to add: all health policies do have accident included - your medical bill is covered to the sum you are insured per condition, so in an example I gave to the sum of 270k.

Those stand alone accident policies do give lump sum money in case of getting dismembered, blind on one or two eyes, permanently disabled, but their medical expenses per accident are only about 10% of the sum insured.

Here you have comparison of 19 policies from 5 insurers. From 1350b covering 300k, but only 20k medical to 15k covering 5mln and 625k medical.

https://misterprakan.com/en/accident/results?gender=Male&age=57&leadid=390318

do spot, that axa 15k premium has 3 policies - my exclusive B2 covering 5mln but only 20k medical (probably it's erroneous quotation, as well as next to it my exclusive B1 is also probably erroneous - or they are designed for some specific professions or dangerous activities), my exclusive C1 covering 2.5mln with 625k medical and my exclusive A2 covering 5mln with 500k medical.

you can briefly read here https://misterprakan.com/en/accident/personal-accident-insurance

In my opinion they are not worth money - whether the cheapest for 1350b, even more so the most expensive.

Appendicitis, pancreatitis, covid, dangerous insect and animals attacks and diseases spread by them, and many other similar, can happen to anybody at anytime. They rather won't be classified as accidents, especially if applied to foreigners. 

Driving under influence (even on bicycle going back home from one beer evening with friends) is also not covered by accident, but is covered by health.

Say, that health is 2x more expensive than accident, but worth.

My friend got appendicitis from eating seafood buffet which she neglected, what started as a bacterial intestinal infection lead to burst appendix and almost cost her life - on the way to hospital and at hospital to the operation ward she has lost conscious some 20x and had to be resuscitated (her friend was with her as assistance and she know how serious condition was). I think she had social security but was taken to the closest ER which was private. Cost some 2 months wages, she payed half from her small savings and the rest taken from her wages for half year

Edited by internationalism
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, internationalism said:

My friend got appendicitis from eating seafood buffet which she neglected, what started as a bacterial intestinal infection lead to burst appendix and almost cost her life - on the way to hospital and at hospital to the operation ward she has lost conscious some 20x and had to be resuscitated (her friend was with her as assistance and she know how serious condition was). I think she had social security but was taken to the closest ER which was private. Cost some 2 months wages, she payed half from her small savings and the rest taken from her wages for half year

2 months wages to pay for treatment which saved her life, I would say that was cheap!

she was nearly broke, paying off her debts incurred from collapsed start-up and rising alone 2 teenagers.

She had to borrow some money from friends for the first 50% payment to hospital.

Yes, that was cheap for life. But she suffered economically for about year.

She was delaying hospital because of long waiting lines and she didn't have private insurance, which would give her fast diagnosis and medications for a few hundred baht preventing her developing appendicitis. So she waited until almost too late. The day or two before that I have advised her to get doxycicline or metronidazole or any other recommended antibiotic for developing indigestion, but I think she neglected any self-help  

On 6/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The best I've found is Axa, 250k per accident medical cover for 6,900 baht a year. If in Pattaya go direct to their office on Sukhumvit.

Apply online and get a 1000b coupon;

https://direct.axa.co.th/PA/GetQuote

Also it's possible to get accident insurance if 66-70 y/o, check their "AXA Sabuyjai My Plus" plan.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/AXA-PA-Sabuyjai-My-Plus

In that example it's not clear if the 100k relates to medical per accident, the detail suggests instead it's the other stuff most of us don't want. Every policy I've looked at is ambiguous 

Screenshot_2022-06-19-14-14-40-739_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

no, it's not medical cover. It might be only regular 10% so only 10k baht. That amount is nothing more than a dog bite treatment. Street accident, broken bones are costly, usually hospital stay 5-10k night. Might involve some orthopedic operation. Doesn't cover home rehabilitation, physiotherapy which might be needed for weeks, to fully recover.

Cheap, even the cheapest health, premium some 15k baht, do have chance to recover and possibly travel to home country for further treatment

• Thumbs Up 1

That link is really useful thanks.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

In that example it's not clear if the 100k relates to medical per accident, the detail suggests instead it's the other stuff most of us don't want. Every policy I've looked at is ambiguous 

Screenshot_2022-06-19-14-14-40-739_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Yes it always seems like they list the low probability stuff. I want to know if they cover the high probability events, e.g. twist or break ankle while walking , food poisoning, if some site contains a list of stuff that's covered and not, that'll be amazing, like top 20 accidents and which insurer covers.

23 minutes ago, K Chan said:

Yes it always seems like they list the low probability stuff. I want to know if they cover the high probability events, e.g. twist or break ankle while walking , food poisoning, if some site contains a list of stuff that's covered and not, that'll be amazing, like top 20 accidents and which insurer covers.

I've found the policy docs ambiguous, not enough detail, probably on purpose so they can decline. Brokers may say yes motorcycles included but not clear in docs, don't believe brokers, in any court case they aren't involved.

I got Axa to confirm in an email

I im pretty much in same category as you and found travel insurance a a good option, traveling back every 3 ad 6 months depending on the policy and my work scedule. 

25k a year insurance valid 6 months travel straight is my best option now. 3 months is avout 20k and yes in Norway they cover what they promise. I have also used World nomads when I was more active doing extreme sports, but they have changed their policies and lates I could not apply from Norway anymore. 

1 hour ago, K Chan said:

for medical you will be covered for some 10k (maybe less or more - depending on details of that particular policy).

As I can imagine not all accidents they would likely to cover. Is food poisoning an accident? Falling from bicycle when under influence?

On health certainly you would be covered, even if you tried to poison yourself on purpose, attempting suicide. The lowest possible health insurance still gives you around one month stay at the public hospital, post hospital home treatment, medicines, re-admission if regress and what not 

1 minute ago, internationalism said:

for medical you will be covered for some 10k (maybe less or more - depending on details of that particular policy).

As I can imagine not all accidents they would likely to cover. Is food poisoning an accident? Falling from bicycle when under influence?

On health certainly you would be covered, even if you tried to poison yourself on purpose, attempting suicide. The lowest possible health insurance still gives you around one month stay at the public hospital, post hospital home treatment, medicines, re-admission if regress and what not 

I'm pretty sure suicide or attempted suicide isn't covered, i stumbled on it in the exclusions when i checked one of my insurances. Bicycle accidents are covered, i did see another exclusion once group cycling isn't covered. Must check the detail

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I im pretty much in same category as you and found travel insurance a a good option, traveling back every 3 ad 6 months depending on the policy and my work scedule. 

25k a year insurance valid 6 months travel straight is my best option now. 3 months is avout 20k and yes in Norway they cover what they promise. I have also used World nomads when I was more active doing extreme sports, but they have changed their policies and lates I could not apply from Norway anymore. 

if you live in thailand large part of year, better value for money will be local health. You won't have to play with timing, unconvincing your work. 

You can get thai health from around 15k per year. That might also cover your international travels 

5 hours ago, bbko said:

Apply online and get a 1000b coupon;

https://direct.axa.co.th/PA/GetQuote

Also it's possible to get accident insurance if 66-70 y/o, check their "AXA Sabuyjai My Plus" plan.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/AXA-PA-Sabuyjai-My-Plus

quote for 67 year old

SabuyJai My Plus PA-B Plan 1 PA-B Plan 2
Insuring agreement (Baht)    
1. Loss of life, dismemberment, loss of sight, loss of hearing, loss of speech or permanent disability (P.A.2) 200,000 500,000
2. Medical expense/ each accident 5,000 5,000
3. Broken bone, burns, and internal injury 10,000 25,000
4. Public accident benefit 200,000 500,000
Extended/ Limited Cover (Baht)    
1. Riding or travelling on a motorcycle 100,000 250,000
2. Dental treatment 2,000 5,000
3. Murder and assault 100,000 250,000
4. Extra cash relief 10,000 25,000
Premium (Baht) 1,600 3,200

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

if you live in thailand large part of year, better value for money will be local health. You won't have to play with timing, unconvincing your work. 

You can get thai health from around 15k per year. That might also cover your international travels 

This is the main reasons I to choose travel insurance 

If you become acutely and unexpectedly ill, or exposed to an accident while traveling, the insurance covers treatment expenses, doctor visits and hospital stays without an amount limit. The insurance also covers pre-approved repatriation from abroad, without a limitation or deductible.

You can also receive compensation for lost holidays

And I trust Norwegian travel insurances more than any other world wide insurance comapanies or Thai local insurances with very little coverage compared to unlimited. 

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

quote for 67 year old

SabuyJai My Plus PA-B Plan 1 PA-B Plan 2
Insuring agreement (Baht)    
1. Loss of life, dismemberment, loss of sight, loss of hearing, loss of speech or permanent disability (P.A.2) 200,000 500,000
2. Medical expense/ each accident 5,000 5,000
3. Broken bone, burns, and internal injury 10,000 25,000
4. Public accident benefit 200,000 500,000
Extended/ Limited Cover (Baht)    
1. Riding or travelling on a motorcycle 100,000 250,000
2. Dental treatment 2,000 5,000
3. Murder and assault 100,000 250,000
4. Extra cash relief 10,000 25,000
Premium (Baht) 1,600 3,200

5,000 baht per accident is no help to anyone, my Axa policy is 250,000 per accident

• Like 1