Grandchildren? Turn them into Baby-Investors.

Assuming most posters here have grandchildren. Stop buying them useless gadgets. Set up a monthly investment plan for them instead. (Stocks). Funded by you and their parents.
Because in the not so far distance, social security systems may become "unfinanciable". Plus the new world religion called "neo-liberalism" that propagates the US social security system:

"Let them eat <deleted> and let them die".

A strict monthly investment plan over 40 years may be the only means to prevent "old age impoverishement". Your grand children will thank you for it.

8 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Land, property and precious metals are the only way to go. Everything else is going to be blown to smithereens.

That makes no sense. You need mining companies to produce precious metals. You need mining companies to produce nickel, copper, iron ore etc to build things!

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

That makes no sense. You need mining companies to produce precious metals. You need mining companies to produce nickel, copper, iron ore etc to build things!

Agreed. But those are all  industrial metals. Demand (long-term) increasing. But for now they are pricewise following the stock markets. Economical trend down: Stocks down as well as industrial metals. Stocks and industrial metals are twin brothers. But longer term OK.

But as the average age of the posters here is around 105 years, they may not reap the benefits of this long-term investement. Rats!

Their grandchildren will.

• Haha 1

Just now, swissie said:

Agreed. But those are all  industrial metals. Demand (long-term) increasing. But for now they are pricewise following the stock markets. Economical trend down: Stocks down as well as industrial metals. Stocks and industrial metals are twin brothers. But longer term OK.

But as the average age of the posters here is around 105 years, they may not reap the benefits of this long-term investement. Rats!

Their grandchildren will.

The economic cycle drives metal prices including stocks. Not the other way around.

There has been a 13 year boom (apart from quick covid sell off).

14 year high to high cycle.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The economic cycle drives metal prices including stocks. Not the other way around.

There has been a 13 year boom (apart from quick covid sell off).

14 year high to high cycle.

All interconnected. Who is the hen, who is the egg? Everything "pricy". How and where to apply "buy low, sell high" anymore? Any ideas?

Just now, swissie said:

All interconnected. Who is the hen, who is the egg? Everything "pricy". How and where to apply "buy low, sell high" anymore? Any ideas?

Pretty easy 

1 chart 7 year moving average

2 look at average pe ratios

3 look at div yields

These methods have worked for 100 years.

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Pretty easy 

1 chart 7 year moving average

2 look at average pe ratios

3 look at div yields

These methods have worked for 100 years.

Change any of those parameters by 10% and you will get different results. A 7 year moving iaverage s too slow. Missing entry and exit points by months.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

yeah? So how is your mining company doing lately? They give you 5% interest and goes down 20% for the year?? 

[not sure of the numbers for your particual favorite but pretty sure of the direction... ]

I checked with a bank here and they would not open a foreign investing account for a minor - I think the age they told me was 20 or 21... 

My father had me reading the Wall street Journal when I was 8 yrs old and had me investing my allowance.. 

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

Change any of those parameters by 10% and you will get different results. A 7 year moving iaverage s too slow. Missing entry and exit points by months.

If the stock is at or below 7 year average you look at buying. For entry you might use a 4 day ma combined with a 20 day ma.

The 7 year ma is the long term trend. Tells you if stock is cheap or not.

Always best to start with monthly chart.

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yeah? So how is your mining company doing lately? They give you 5% interest and goes down 20% for the year?? 

[not sure of the numbers for your particual favorite but pretty sure of the direction... ]

Bhp yields 11% atm. Stock going down is good. Can buy more.

Good stocks you hold for 20 years. No need to sell unless crazy price.

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Bhp yields 11% atm. Stock going down is good. Can buy more.

Good stocks you hold for 20 years. No need to sell unless crazy price.

Thankfully, I did that 20 years ago - so, if the philosophy holds, you are on the right track... I hear some analysts say, these are different times - - and at my age [110] you adjust your philosophies anyway because spending the money at 130, well, there is just less fun to be had... and losing some in the short term, well that is losing some in what might be the only term... so, I have become more cautious... used to be 80% invested and now I am 10-15% invested... just wait until you are 100 years old, you will understand. 

14 hours ago, swissie said:

Assuming most posters here have grandchildren. Stop buying them useless gadgets.

As a toy collector I can buy Japanese toys here for 1000 baht that I can sell in my Uk for 3-4,000 without difficulty. (only difficulty is getting them all in the case for the plane !) 200-300% profit for me beats some other investments and buying toys is more fun !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

As a toy collector I can buy Japanese toys here for 1000 baht that I can sell in my Uk for 3-4,000 without difficulty. (only difficulty is getting them all in the case for the plane !) 200-300% profit for me beats some other investments and buying toys is more fun !

Exactly,  some of the giant chinese made dildos you can  buy here for a few hundred baht are for sale in the UK at well over 60 quid

21 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I checked with a bank here and they would not open a foreign investing account for a minor - I think the age they told me was 20 or 21... 

My father had me reading the Wall street Journal when I was 8 yrs old and had me investing my allowance.. 

Your father was a wise man. If you kept this up you should have no financial worries.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

If the stock is at or below 7 year average you look at buying. For entry you might use a 4 day ma combined with a 20 day ma.

The 7 year ma is the long term trend. Tells you if stock is cheap or not.

Always best to start with monthly chart.

Well Spark, I can tell "you have been around the block". Your approach makes sense.
But still, (the fly in the ointment) it's the Warren Buffets, the George Soroses, the Andre Kostolany's that make money, not "Chart-Technicians".

No wonder. My trading platform must disclose the 78% of their "retail-investors" lose money. Rats!

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Eureka! This is it! I want in.
(I have already considered selling my ex-girlfriends to Saudi Arabia into slavery as an income booster).

• Haha 1