Grab Thailand urges government assistance after Land Transport Department cancels service of private motorcyclists

snoop1130

15 hours ago, patman30 said:

i look at this the other way around, Grab the company does not care about the drivers
they pay them a pittance per delivery (barely enough for 1 person to survive on)
while taking 25% of the order

many motorbike taxis used to do deliveries from many places
and now these registered taxis also have less demand from regular fares

the end customer only thinks about their own pocket without looking at it from a different view
or understanding how things actually work

Grab just do not want to increase delivery fees, as customers may complain

Where I live I have noticed a steep decline in the use of Grab, Lineman deliveries as the restrictions are easing, more and more people are going back to local restaurants to sit in and eat. Even the local Amazon coffee shop that was full of Grab, lineman deliveries with maybe 10 to 15 bikes outside every day,  between 7am and 9 am only 1 month ago, are down to 2 or 3 a day between the same times now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What about 7/11 and BigC deliveries how will this affect those ? 

Everything, including 'traditional deliveries' like pizza, etc - it's all the same.

It's not going to happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

Hopefully this will slow these people down, these drivers are a hazard on the road with there high speed and dangerous passing. 

If there's less drivers there will be more work and therefore pressure on the remaining drivers...think about that a little.

• Like 1

Grab, is a Singaporean multinational technology company. They don't give a monkeys about their drivers. All they think about is making money for themselves.

Edited by Bedfont
wrong spacing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

What about monopolies creating a new slave class?

I know nothing of how Grab works and their internal regulations, but two things I do know:

1) Grab is not a monopoly, there are several other similar services.

2) Slaves are people forced to work against their will and with zero or minimal salary. Grab drivers do not fall in this definition at all.

5 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I know nothing of how Grab works and their internal regulations, but two things I do know:

1) Grab is not a monopoly, there are several other similar services.

2) Slaves are people forced to work against their will and with zero or minimal salary. Grab drivers do not fall in this definition at all.

That's the point, they accept those wages or starve. Grab don't overpay their drivers. Grab may not be a monopoly but the outlook is moving that way. Grab bought Uber in Thailand IIRC. Taxi drivers are being squeezed by Grab and Bolt. It's a slippery slope.

Edited by ozimoron

17 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Bet she doesn't work for grab though.   So the comment is irrelevant to you.  I stand by what I said

I would be Ashamed if I made my missus stay home all day, or be by my side 24/7 my missus probably earns less than Grab drivers. Has heaps of friends, she would be so bored if she didn't work. 

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I would be Ashamed if I made my missus stay home all day, or be by my side 24/7 my missus probably earns less than Grab drivers. Has heaps of friends, she would be so bored if she didn't work. 

I actually think we are almost in agreement, I would be ashamed to make my missus do anything ! She's an independent woman in her own country who am I to tell her or any other woman  what to do.  However, had she expressed a desire to work as a motorcycle delivery driver I would consider it my duty to  seriously try to persuade to reconsider her options as I would be somewhat concerned for her safety, and i think anybody with a modicum of common sense would act in a similar manner, ( that was the basis for my comment about being ashamed)  but I would not / could not stop her .

I doubt very much if any "mia farangs" would actually choose that line of work especially when made aware of the possible consequences (although if any posters can prove me wrong I will stand corrected)

I'm all for women working, regardless of what they earn (within reason) and as long as they are not exploited, its an important part of their being independent,  also the idea of being together 27/7 doesn't bear thinking about !

I read this article yesterday morning.  We went to Seacon for lunch and I noticed that a lot of food delivery guys had taken their number plate off their bike.  Since this notice is not aimed at these food delivery people what can the reason be for removing the number plate?  Maybe their erratic driving and not wishing to be caught?

Also the cops were out in force yesterday afternoon on Ratchapreuk pulling over all the utes and trucks.  If they wanted to stop a rider who had their plate removed the rider would just keep going knowing the cops couldn't trace them.

I think this falls into the same category as drivers who paint their number plates white and there are a lot of those around.  Deliberately not following road rules and not wanting a fine in the mail.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:39 PM, Ralf001 said:

Its not about food delivery service though.

If you read the article its about GRABTAXI, The taxi service.

That's correct. The wording mentioning "delivery" being the cause of confusion perhaps ? 

Regardless, many of those actual delivery Grab drivers will be concerned that they may have to "licence" their vehicles to continue operating, Not least, because most of their bikes have likely not been taxed/tested for many a year, so going "legal" is going to cost them.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, Ginner said:

Where I live I have noticed a steep decline in the use of Grab, Lineman deliveries as the restrictions are easing, more and more people are going back to local restaurants to sit in and eat. Even the local Amazon coffee shop that was full of Grab, lineman deliveries with maybe 10 to 15 bikes outside every day,  between 7am and 9 am only 1 month ago, are down to 2 or 3 a day between the same times now.

That is a good thing, Silicon Valley already make and control too much

Grab like others all have a disgusting business model
treating those who do the work for them very poorly while taking all the money
knowing there is alsways someone desperate enough to replace them

There are ways we could have a reputation system
so a grab alternative could be created without the greedy central body like Grab
so drivers could earn a decent wage and retails are ripped off for the service

notice the timing, it would not surprise me if the easing of restrictions and the now stopping of white plates are connected, obviously Grab has to scream "no please don't" when reality is they know they dont need so many drivers for the moment

Edited by patman30

3 hours ago, mancub said:

That's correct. The wording mentioning "delivery" being the cause of confusion perhaps ? 

Regardless, many of those actual delivery Grab drivers will be concerned that they may have to "licence" their vehicles to continue operating, Not least, because most of their bikes have likely not been taxed/tested for many a year, so going "legal" is going to cost them.

Grab delivery drivers do not ferry passengers.

They have no concerns with these changes.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:47 AM, hotchilli said:

A mad dash for riders to go get yellow plates or not many Grab riders around.

This must be a Bangkok thing. Even the bikes where I live that are obviously for hire have white plates. I have been looking and haven't seen a yellow one yet.

• Like 1