Thailand officially drops mask mandate in late night Royal Gazette order

webfact

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Businesses have the right to enforce. 7/11 & Central are not public areas 

Absolutely correct. Since when is a private business a public area.

The keyword is: domiciliary rights (if that is the correct legal term).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stoner said:

711 and central are public areas too. this is going to be interesting. 

You should really understand the difference between public and privately owned but accessible to the public.

Neither 7/11 nor Central are public areas they are both privately owned businesses, as such they can require masks if they want. My guess is that they won’t 

So what now Mr Anutin - to wear or not to wear that is the question!

You have "flip flopped" on this issue so many times that I get dizzy trying to keep up.

However, as it is in the Royal Gazette you may be hard pressed to change your mind AGAIN!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Geez, a week ago I was never coming back to Thailand until they dropped the Thai Pass, covid insurance and mask mandate...now I have no excuse ???? 

Even  better Thai now flying Perth BKK direct????

18 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You should really understand the difference between public and privately owned but accessible to the public.

Neither 7/11 nor Central are public areas they are both privately owned businesses, as such they can require masks if they want. My guess is that they won’t 

and you should really read the thread better. i did make a follow up comment clarifying what i was getting at.

take a peek. 

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

In the so called civilised world masks are still being advised and still being worn

???? Well carry on wearing yours then if it makes you feel safe. No one is forcing you to take it off - unlike the other way round until last night

41 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

And why does what someone else does bother you so much.

Are you really offended by seeing someone in a mask? :shock1:

Yes it bothers me when people wear masks.......They all need to come off....No law to hide behind now...

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Well that is certainly a move in the right direction as most of the civilized world has already done. A good, but belated move but as they say , better later than never.

My only thoughts now are what is going to be the next move by this unpopular government to scare the poorly educated populace to kowtow to this governments flights of fancy ?

A person's decision to continue wearing or not wear a mask is simply that: a personal choice or decision. It is not directly correlated to one's educational background.  Please stop disparaging the good people of Thailand as being poorly educated. It does not compute.

7 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yes it bothers me when people wear masks.......They all need to come off....No law to hide behind now...

Why does it bother you if people choose to wear a mask? 

In Asia, pre-covid you would often see people on public transport wearing a mask (mainly out of curtesy if they had a cold/flu but it was much more widespread during things like the SARS outbreak) even though there were no laws forcing them to do so.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Sarcasm or truthful in your statement, which one.  If your offended I wear a mask then that's your issue not mine.  PM 2.5 etc is a reason to wear one as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Breaking News:

I am now wearing three masks at the same time.

Always had you down as a triple-bagger ???? 

Joke: have just finished a bag of Haribo licorice, not a patch on Bertie's Allsorts

• Haha 2

Not sure how the mask mandate was 'divisive' as I've not met a single Thai who was against the mask mandate and the majority of Thais want to carry on wearing masks so the only people it would seem to be divisive to are the few tourists who didn't want to comply.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'm going to be surprised if you can mange to get inside a shopping mall without wearing one

"TPN media notes that private businesses and events have the ability and right to make mask wearing at their establishments and venues required, however."

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

7-11 has the worst ... in Thailand......They love to scream and yell at the maskless there

"TPN media notes that private businesses and events have the ability and right to make mask wearing at their establishments and venues required, however."

5 minutes ago, james2m said:

Not sure how the mask mandate was 'divisive' as I've not met a single Thai who was against the mask mandate and the majority of Thais want to carry on wearing masks so the only people it would seem to be divisive to are the few tourists who didn't want to comply.

You should get out and about a lot more then perhaps you may be more aware of what is actually going on around you .

Edited by Excel

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well Family Mart have not given a rats azz for a while now if you wear a mask or not but 7-11 is pretty much the only place left that enforces masks any more... 

You must be in some falang holiday Mecca as I've just driven from one end of the country to the other and not seen a single person enter any 7, family mart or other indoor area without wearing a mask. The only people I've seen either maskless or chin masking are tourists.

9 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I don't see this making much of a difference where I am (Samutprakarn).

As we are in an industrial area, locals were wearing masks long before Covid.

Also, wearing a mask here seems to be seen as a sign of respect to everyone around you.

I can go years (literally) without seeing another westerner in this area, so there will be no outside influences.

I think that it is obvious that masks will be ditched (in the main) in tourist areas but it will be interesting to see how this goes down here.

It will also be interesting to see how Bangkok reacts, with a mix of tourists and full time residents.

I will probably carry on wearing a mask when in the company of other mask wearers, just to be polite.

I definitely will continue to wear a mask out in public. I haven't had the flu or even a cold since mask wearing came in. I think hospitals may get more overburdened with covid cases in the next few months. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

You should get out and about a lot more then perhaps you may be more aware of what is actually going on around you .

Yeah you're right Phuket, Phangna, Surat Thani, Prachuap KK, Petburi, Ratchaburi, BKK, Ayuthaya, Nakhon Sawan,  Phetchabun, Phrae, Nan, Chaing Mai and wherever else I've forgotten the last couple of months. I must stop living like a hermit.