Cataract surgery prices in Bangkok and Chonburi

Imua

I am in need of cataract surgery for one eye and I would like to know if any members have current, 2022 knowledge of surgery prices of hospitals in Bangkok or Chonburi.

I have seen past posts about this topic on this forum but unfortunately  the information is outdated and archived.  However, I did note previous recommendations of Rutnin Hospital in Bangkok and the surgeon, Dr Roy C.  The prices for cataract surgery at this hospital in June 2017 reported by a member was 65,000 - 70,000 B.

I made an appointment and this past Tuesday 28th June, I went to Rutnin for an eye examination for which I paid 3,850 B that included the consultation with Dr Roy.  He confirmed that my right eye was  in need of surgery, etc. and I told him that I had already decided on a monofocal IOL lens implant.  After discussing the pros and cons, risks and benefits he directed me to my last room destination of my examination, "the Estimator."

I expected an increase from the 2017 price estimation but I was totally shocked at the price I was being quoted, 130,000 - 140,000 Baht!

And of course in expected Thai style below the estimation it is stated, "A 100% deposit of the estimated cost is required upon procedure or prior to admission."

Needless to say, I will not be proceeding with the surgery at Rutnin Hospital.  Do any of the members here have any recommendations of a good quality Hospital in the Bangkok/Chonburi area where I can get reliable, experienced cataract surgery performed?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I think you were given the price for multifocal lenses. Rutnin's "estimator" just automatically gave you the highest possible price, which is based on the most costly lens

Cataract surgery with monofocal lens at Rutnin this year (in fact very recently) is around 80-90K.

Costs in Chonburi will very much depend on the hospital.

At government hospital (e.g. Queen Sirikit, Chonburi) around 25k  (might be a bit more at Queen Sirikit as I hear they have started dual tier pricing).  Obviously the least expensive option. What I do not know, id s how long a wait list, as such elective procedures got backlogged during COVID.

At BPH, probably around 100-120k

I don't know cost at Pattaya Memorial or PIH but easy enough to call and ask them. I would expect something in the 80 - 100k range.

You might also like to check out Phyathai Sri Racha, give Gavin Waddell in their marketing dept an email or  call for estimate 

[email protected]  tel 089- 750-0293

I just received an estimate from Rutnin for monofocal @ THB95K to THB100K. My pre op consultation on Tuesday cost around THB7500, and there is an op prelim (bloodwork, EKG etc) which I imagine will be around the same price.

Thank you Sheryl but I think you are incorrect. I specifically asked the Estimator why the price was so high.  I assumed like yourself that the estimation was for the more expensive lens and that is why I informed her again that I wanted the quote for the basic monofocal lens.  She told me that she gave me the correct estimation.

Highly recommend Dr. Apivat Pothikamjorn, at the Thai Eye Center. Half the price of Rutnin. Several friends as well as myself, had both eyes done, new type of Tri-focal IOL implants there by him. Can consult with him at Samitivej soi 49, then operate at his Uncles center. About 75k baht.  Tell him Michael recommended you..

Thank you doctormann for your reply.  That sounds exceptionally cheap, you are a farang right? ????????   I will call or visit the hospital and check it out.  Excellent results and your eyes are fine now?

Thank you TantrikLvr.  That is good information and if that price is for the new premium, tri-focal lens it is a very good price.  So the Thai Eye Center is separate from Samitivej Hospital?

Sheryl, you got that right,

"Rutnin is a great hospital but both their appointment scheduling and "estimation" functions leave a lot to be desired."

My appointment with Dr Roy was at 11:00am and I waited until 1:00pm to see him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imua said:

Hi samtam, we were at Rutnin the same day?  Funny how your pre-op exam was more than mine but you got a cheaper estimation.

I went 28 June aswell. There may be a more complicated procedure for your own case, but I couldn't comment. My preliminaries before seeing Dr Roy included several people (4 or 5?), and took a total of 5 hours. Whilst this is a bit of an ordeal, (espcially when you're pupils are so dilated), it is reassuring to know that their assessment is so thorough.

• Like 1

samtam ..... I arrived at 9:30am for my 11:00am appointment.  I was directed to about 4 or 5 rooms.  Got drops in both eyes to dilate the pupils before seeing Dr Roy and they told me my vision would be blurry for 4 - 6 hours.  I jokingly asked if I would be issued a white stick when I left the hospital but that sailed over the nurse's head. ????

16 hours ago, Imua said:

samtam ..... I arrived at 9:30am for my 11:00am appointment.  I was directed to about 4 or 5 rooms.  Got drops in both eyes to dilate the pupils before seeing Dr Roy and they told me my vision would be blurry for 4 - 6 hours.  I jokingly asked if I would be issued a white stick when I left the hospital but that sailed over the nurse's head. ????

Sounds very similar. I went across the road for a cup of coffee from 7-11 and it was a struggle, as I didn't bring sunglasses, essential in these circumstances. Luckily the zebra crossing rules were being observed and there were a few of us crossing, so I survived in the pack.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Cataract surgery with monofocal lens at Rutnin this year (in fact very recently) is around 80-90K.

Is this for one eye, or both?

And what is monofocal? Is it like correcting astigmatism only while you'd still need reading glasses?

Interestingly my doctor at Rutnin  mentions cataract for both eyes on her reports but has never suggested I should have an operation. 

Edited by Boomer6969

11 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Is this for one eye, or both?

And what is monofocal? Is it like correcting astigmatism only while you'd still need reading glasses?

Interestingly my doctor at Rutnin  mentions cataract for both eyes on her reports but has never suggested I should have an operation. 

For one eye.

Monofocal are the standard lens used in cataract surgery. Most people will stil need reading classes after placement of such lenses.

There are other types of lenses that are meant to allow for close reading as well as distance vision. These cost much more and do nto work well for everyone.

Almost everyone past a certain age has cataracts. The point at which surgery is indicated is when they start interfering with daily life.

• Thanks 1

I understand that once one has agreed to the surgery an extensive exam is done with measurements taken, etc

But 7500 for a Consultation before agreeing to the surgery seems insanely high.

(I never would have paid it though  - I would have walked long before end of the 2 hour wait).

Edited by JimmyJ

23 hours ago, Imua said:

Thank you TantrikLvr.  That is good information and if that price is for the new premium, tri-focal lens it is a very good price.  So the Thai Eye Center is separate from Samitivej Hospital?

Yes, it is a separate eye hospital on Rama 3. Look it up. Like many  other doctors here, sometimes they work in different hospitals on different days.. You will have to find out if you are a 'candidate' for the premium ones, but they also do mono focal and 'multi-focal' (bi focal) lenses. As I had 25 years of glasses, Progressive and bi focal lenses, it is wonderful in so many ways, to be free of them for life! Wasn't a candidate for Lasik which can last for 10 years or so..  

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, samtam said:

I just received an estimate from Rutnin for monofocal @ THB95K to THB100K. My pre op consultation on Tuesday cost around THB7500, and there is an op prelim (bloodwork, EKG etc) which I imagine will be around the same price.

Had my prelim bloodwork and EKG. I was told after the bloodwork, (for which I fasted), I could go and eat, and I specifically asked if I could drink coffee. "Yes". Of course it effed up my blood pressure, on top of the pressure of schlepping over to Asok by 8.30 am, and successive attempts at readings made it worse, so that I had to go an obtain a doctor's letter from another hospital. I am in the process of doing that. My own doctor at said hospital wouldn't give it to me based on 3 or 4 more attempts with high readings, so I now have to monitor over 24 hours, and if I fail, the operation is off. Today's little exercises cost about THB8k, so extras, on top of the cataract surgery are around THB16k so far.

My BP always spikes anywhere near a hospital, but obviously my doctor wants to get me on meds, which I don't want to do.

Rather jaded, and poorer, by the whole experience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Could ask at Princess Chulabhorn Hospital.My wife had both lens replaced last year. One long sight and one short sight.

Now doesn’t need glasses for everything but very close work. Reading, playing on the phone, driving no problem.

Everything went fine and it was nowhere near the prices you have been quoted.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:07 PM, TantrikLvr said:

Highly recommend Dr. Apivat Pothikamjorn, at the Thai Eye Center. Half the price of Rutnin. Several friends as well as myself, had both eyes done, new type of Tri-focal IOL implants there by him. Can consult with him at Samitivej soi 49, then operate at his Uncles center. About 75k baht.  Tell him Michael recommended you..

What sort of anesthetic did you have? I only ask because mine was the injection into the eyeball, which broke a blood vessel and my eye is a complete mess. Luckily the actual cataract removal and replacement seems to have gone ok, (It's only 2 days since.) But I shall be keeping a low profile until the dracula look has dissipated, in about 3-4 weeks.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was quoted 60.000 thousand baht at Sriphat Medical Center  in Chaing mai for an extended lens , in one eye, cataract grade 2. The operation would take a few hours. I saw Dr. Janejit, she has an excellent reputation. My visit including Special Diagnostic Imaging 450 baht , examination with the special fluid in the eyes 100 Baht and my bill 

came to 1,200 baht. She is very popular , be prepared for a long wait , unless you make you appointment well in advance and arrive early .

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, doctormann said:

Jomtien Hospital Pattaya (part of the Bangkok Hospital Group) - 39000 Baht per eye for single vision lenses.

I had both my eyes done there, earlier this year.  Excellent result!

I'm looking for affordable cataract surgery as well. Did the price include everything like pre-examination and after care? How do they proceed? 2 or 4 weeks between operations and how long did you have to wait for the operation after the exam? I'm asking because I have to travel 600 km and don't want to waste time and money if the hospital is not for me. Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions.

Something I recently discovered about such surgery - there are three basic types of lenses for near, mid and long distance vision.  I came to realize some doctors in Thailand opt for the cheapest lens without considering your need. I highly suggest you watch this video to help in your decision making:
https://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.org/ncal/video/cataract-surgery-class-1646165

11 hours ago, luicks said:

I'm looking for affordable cataract surgery as well. Did the price include everything like pre-examination and after care? How do they proceed? 2 or 4 weeks between operations and how long did you have to wait for the operation after the exam? I'm asking because I have to travel 600 km and don't want to waste time and money if the hospital is not for me. Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions.

Where in Thailand are you located?

It would almost never back sense here to travel that far for catract surgery. 

On 8/16/2022 at 11:01 PM, Sheryl said:
On 8/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, luicks said:

Expand  

Where in Thailand are you located?

I'm in Loei province and there's nothing near me.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:20 PM, doctormann said:

I did pay extra for the initial eye examination, which was carried out at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  That was to specify the lenses and to check for glaucoma or any other problems.  This was less than 2000 Baht.

The only other expenses were for post-op medication - eye drops that you have to use for a few weeks.  Didn't cost much.

I had my first eye done just a few days after the initial exam and the second eye a month after that.  I had a final check on both eyes after a further three months.

Be aware that it does take a few days - it did in my case - before you can see clearly with the operated eye.  Immediately after the operation the eye is 'packed' and the packing is removed after 24 hours.  I had to go back to BPH for this.  No possibility of driving yourself anywhere at this stage so you need someone to assist you.  Depending on the degree of corneal swelling it does take a while for the eye to settle down.  In my case, the left eye took about four days before I could see clearly.  The right eye only about one day.

i found that the biggest PITA was the need to use eye drops every few hours for the first couple of weeks and needing to use an eye shield overnight.  All good now though and I am very pleased with the result.

Thank you very much for the info.