Cataract surgery prices in Bangkok and Chonburi

Imua

38 minutes ago, bradiston said:

That I don't know as yet. They're checking with my insurers (Wrlife) and a few other details. Not sure what. I wasn't interested in making any snap decisions, so will await their email.

give us some feedback after on wrlife. I'm pretty sure Pacific Cross don't cover cataracts 

Jomtien still have their cataract surgery package running.  https://www.jomtienhospital.com/en/phacoemulsification.html

This is the procedure that I had done on both my eyes, just about a year ago now.  Single vision intra-ocular replacement lenses so I need glasses for close work.  Not a problem for me - been wearing glasses for a very long time anyway.

The cost was indeed 39,000 Baht per eye with with very little in the way of extra payments.  I was delighted by  the results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Jomtien still have their cataract surgery package running.  https://www.jomtienhospital.com/en/phacoemulsification.html

This is the procedure that I had done on both my eyes, just about a year ago now.  Single vision intra-ocular replacement lenses so I need glasses for close work.  Not a problem for me - been wearing glasses for a very long time anyway.

The cost was indeed 39,000 Baht per eye with with very little in the way of extra payments.  I was delighted by  the results.

That's very interesting. I was there today checking out their checkup prices. For almost an identical set of tests as up the road in the Pattaya branch, which charges 24,000 THB, they charge 5200 THB. Throw in liver and prostate cancer screening, it comes to approximately 6500 THB. Available on a walk in basis any time of any day. Seems a vastly underused resource judging by the numbers there. And you don't feel you've just checked into a 5 * hotel like in the Pattaya branch.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

give us some feedback after on wrlife. I'm pretty sure Pacific Cross don't cover cataracts 

Bah! No cover. First off, it's OPD. Second I'm not covered for eye surgery of this nature. So, think I'll bin Wrlife.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Disappointing but that may be standard with other insurers

I'm going to shop around for the surgery, and seriously consider cancelling insurance. The optical package only offers $1000 per annum in cover. That's a third of the quoted cost at Bangkok Hospital. What a headache. Back to square one.

16 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I'm going to shop around for the surgery, and seriously consider cancelling insurance. The optical package only offers $1000 per annum in cover. That's a third of the quoted cost at Bangkok Hospital. What a headache. Back to square one.

The cataracts are causing real issues?  If not there is no need to remove until they do.  For low price you probably should be checking government/military type hospital.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The cataracts are causing real issues?  If not there is no need to remove until they do.  For low price you probably should be checking government/military type hospital.

Somebody posted a link above to Jomtien Hospital, sister of Bangkok Pattaya hospital. They advertise 39k per eye, but when I checked they said that was the old price, even though it says on the ad prices until December 31st 2023. But it's only a rise of a few 1000 THB. Looks like my best option.

I checked at Pattaya hospital.on Buakhao. They don't do eyes, but Banglamung does. Some schlepp over there from Pratamnak. But I have to go back to BPH tomorrow to get my prostate checked out my the urologist. It's only a short hop from there.

Edited by bradiston

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Somebody posted a link above to Jomtien Hospital, sister of Bangkok Pattaya hospital. They advertise 39k per eye, but when I checked they said that was the old price, even though it says on the ad prices until December 31st 2023. But it's only a rise of a few 1000 THB. Looks like my best option.

I checked at Pattaya hospital.on Buakhao. They don't do eyes, but Banglamung does. Some schlepp over there from Pratamnak. But I have to go back to BPH tomorrow to get my prostate checked out my the urologist. It's only a short hop from there.

I would check Queen Sirikit Hospital, Sattahip, a govt hospital recommended by many. Take Thai speaker to make it easier

• 3 months later...

I eventually found a modern specialized eye hospital with professional staff in Udon Thani and had lenses in both eyes replaced with EDOF lenses on the same day. Cost for one eye was 35,000 THB plus a fee of close to 5,000 THB for a very thorough eye examination prior to surgery. I can recommend Chaksusathan hospital for excellent service and reasonable prices. Check it out on Facebook: จักษุสถาน อุดร : Chaksusathan Udon.

1 hour ago, luicks said:

I eventually found a modern specialized eye hospital with professional staff in Udon Thani and had lenses in both eyes replaced with EDOF lenses on the same day. Cost for one eye was 35,000 THB plus a fee of close to 5,000 THB for a very thorough eye examination prior to surgery. I can recommend Chaksusathan hospital for excellent service and reasonable prices. Check it out on Facebook: จักษุสถาน อุดร : Chaksusathan Udon.

That's good. I eventually lost patience and fled the hospital. I decided my vision was good enough. It was a massive relief to keep the 52k THB and get out of their clutches.

On 3/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I just checked my initial policy (Pacific Cross) and it says :

Waiting Period (s):
 Investigation and treatment of cataracts and their complications are not covered for a period of 2 years, then reassess.
This waiting period can be reassessed earlier upon provision of a recent eye exam by a qualified ophthalmologist.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I just checked my initial policy (Pacific Cross) and it says :

Waiting Period (s):
 Investigation and treatment of cataracts and their complications are not covered for a period of 2 years, then reassess.
This waiting period can be reassessed earlier upon provision of a recent eye exam by a qualified ophthalmologist.

But is it not considered an out patient procedure, so unless you have OP cover, they won't pay? As per WRLife, at least.