Eleven Conservatives now bidding to be next UK prime minister

CharlieH

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Getting back to topic.

The new PM will be elected by the rank and file of the Tory Constituency Party, a group of people who are not representative of the public at large but who are predominantly old and retired (therefore living on fixed incomes or soon to be living on fixed incomes).

Inflation is a very significant concern for people living on fixed incomes and with savings under threat.

The two candidates are offering diametrically opposed fiscal policies.

Sunak is proposing policies to fight inflation.

Truss is proposing policies to cut taxes and spend which are widely criticized on the basis they will increase inflation.

That’s the choice people for whom inflation is a significant concern have before them.

It is the visible split in the Tory Party.

You haven't listened to the finalists explanations regarding their approach to fight inflation that are out there, have you...?..????.......????

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Odd you should say that, because I have.

I have also paid attention to the response from economists to the proposals being made by the candidates.

One thing we can be sure of is that neither Sunak nor Truss will be proposing to raise taxes on the rich  or do away with loopholes such as "non-dom".

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Liz Truss plans to fight inflation by cutting taxes. It is to laugh.

Which just goes to show you have not listened to her reasoning, but I'm not surprised.... ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Please, please, please outline what these are. Go on, it will so make my day to hear your outline. 

Bear in mind the article on truss’ tax policies and the expert opinion contained in that I posted earlier. 

I am not your errand boy, Youtube is a good start for you...????

And again, her name is spelled "Truss", please don't be disrespectful, there's a good chap....

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Odd you should say that, because I have.

I have also paid attention to the response from economists to the proposals being made by the candidates.

Not The Guardian.....????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I am not your errand boy, Youtube is a good start for you...????

And again, her name is spelled "Truss", please don't be disrespectful, there's a good chap....

YouTube…LOL. 

Please refer to the article on truss’ tax plans and come back again after digesting the expert opinion contained within it. 

Just now, transam said:

Which just goes to show you have not listened to her reasoning, but I'm not surprised.... ????

This panacea has been pushed by lots of conservatives since at least the Reagan era in the United States. Whatever the economic problems being addressed, tax cuts are always their solution. And they never deliver. 

I have listened to her. Have you? Her reasoning is bizarre. She claims that because inflation is being fueled by a shortage of supply, that her tax cuts will encourage that supply to increase. What makes this obviously nonsense is that ordinarily when demand outstrips supply, supply will increase to satisfy that demand. At least that's what free market economists say pretty much starting with Adam Smith. Does the Invisible Hand ring any bells for you? But as everyone who's reasonably sentient understands is that supply is pinched now because of disruptions due to covid and the War in Ukraine. So supply is hard pressed to meet demand.  So if you increase the amount of cash chasing what there is of  that limited supply, that increase will exert an upward pressure on prices. This is basic economics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

YouTube…LOL. 

Please refer to the article on truss’ tax plans and come back again after digesting the expert opinion contained within it. 

It would be of no use to you.........????

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This panacea has been pushed by lots of conservatives since at least the Reagan era in the United States. Whatever the economic problems being addressed, tax cuts are always their solution. And they never deliver. 

I have listened to her. Have you? Her reasoning is bizarre. She claims that because inflation is being fueled by a shortage of supply, that her tax cuts will encourage that supply to increase. What makes this obviously nonsense is that ordinarily when demand outstrips supply, supply will increase to satisfy that demand. At least that's what free market economists say pretty much starting with Adam Smith. Does the Invisible Hand ring any bells for you? But as everyone who's reasonably sentient understands is that supply is pinched now because of disruptions due to covid and the War in Ukraine. So supply is hard pressed to meet demand.  So if you increase the amount of cash chasing what there is of  that limited supply, that increase will exert an upward pressure on prices. This is basic economics.

I told you I have listened to her ideas....

You are an economist now...?       ????

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So your reply to the points I have raised is that you "have listened to her ideas..." This is your idea of a rebuttal? You've got nothing.

What do you mean, "I've got nothing"...?

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You don’t know how the candidates will tackle inflation…thought so.

Ah well, no worries-I don’t think redliz does either. 

More guesswork eh, but yes I have listened to Rishi & Truss monetary explanations, but alas I am not an economist, are you...?

Just now, placeholder said:

You've offered nothing to rebut any of the points I've made. Or for that matter of anyone else. And you refuse to provide the sources of your information but instead ask others to go look for it. You have provided no evidence at all that you can even back up your claim that you actually have listened to her ideas since you refuse to discuss them.

So you want a video...........????

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Guesswork? Nope I have read the economists dissection of truss’ tax cut plans and how they will not work. 

I did study economics at school and in my first year at uni but no I’m not an economist. 

That’s why I read expert opinion…

So you listened to a bloke's opinion, where another bloke may disagree........... ????

You are not an economist....Thank you.

Just now, transam said:

So you listened to a bloke's opinion, where another bloke may disagree........... ????

You are not an economist....Thank you.

No, I read experts dissect truss’ plans and formed an opinion based on that. 

Now, as you have failed when requested to do so previously, please explain your understanding on how sunak and truss will tackle inflation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

No, I read experts dissect truss’ plans and formed an opinion based on that. 

Now, as you have failed when requested to do so previously, please explain your understanding on how sunak and truss will tackle inflation. 

As I said, I am not an economist, nor are you, but what I do understand is that Ms.Truss seems to be pointing out the Rishi's stuff ain't working, her ideas will take a different tack....

PS. It's "Truss"....I think you will get the hang of it eventually...????

PS.