Apple wants my first born child

skippybangkok

Got a new Mac Laptop ... was ohhh so careful, but.... if fell and the corner bent 

They want almost 30,000 baht to replace the screen shell... ludicrous.

anyone have any idea how to safely bend it back without stressing the hinges ? 

Thanks 

IMG_0513.thumb.jpeg.2abfa5330fb014e106f5f6564b500140.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

In this case 30K is a joke, I agree. And their accessories are overpriced. But to state that all Apple products are not recommended is simply not true. I had an old iPhone 7 which fell down from 1m to the floor probably 50 times. Without doing any harm to the phone..

I killed it when I went to the beach, forgot that I had the phone in my pocket and then entered the water. This was it. Since then I am using the old Samsung from my wife and she got the latest model instead.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

OP I hope you have learnt from this experience and won't buy apple products in the future.

I think the only reason people buy them is the brand name to make them look fashionable.  

They are so overpriced for what they can do, and a total rip off for accessories and repairs....and they seem to need a lot of repairs!  

Probably the least educated I have seen in some time, also not helpful.

I was a Windows user for most of my life, and have been on Mac for 10 years now.  I can compare unlike yourself.

Thanks for the other OPs advice... a bit risky, but might see if can remove the shell and straighten it out. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kinda get it, they dont replace the shell, they replace the whole thing including screen.

Problem kinda improved.... what bends one way bends the other. 

Used a thick envelope and closed lid with some force.... which gave some separation  and now screen closes nicely.  Then turned it upside down on a bench and put my weight on it, so the bent up lip has retreated alot.

not perfect, but looks better and more importantly, the lid closes properly now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skippybangkok said:

Probably the least educated I have seen in some time, also not helpful.

I was a Windows user for most of my life, and have been on Mac for 10 years now.  I can compare unlike yourself.

Thanks for the other OPs advice... a bit risky, but might see if can remove the shell and straighten it out. ?

How exactly do you know how educated I am, or what qualifications I have?  

I have used Apple, for your information, and would never use them again after my experiences with their customer care, fragility of some of their products, and the way they trap you into being only able to buy their more expensive products (as nothing else is compatible). 

How you seriously expected an educated and helpful response to your idea to 'bend it back' into shape rather then fixing it properly I don't known.  

Anyway, happy you sorted it yourself and saved yourself from the extortionate charges that Apple is happy to charge their loyal customers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe so....but have you ever tried the alternatives for that! I think you will find they are just as good and also cheaper if you research it. 

I've not tried them and you're possibly correct.

Another reason people tend to stick with Apple products is they're reluctant to learn a new operating system or new function(s) on phones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe so....but have you ever tried the alternatives for that! I think you will find they are just as good and also cheaper if you research it. 

For casual video editing (Not full VFX) lower-end macs are actually quite price competitive since the m1. They were definitely the best price/performance for some work flows for a bit there because of their good optimization with video editing suites and gpu's costing a fortune. Everything is more fluid now with gpu prices finally coming down and new cpu/gpu releases coming soon.

Another Apple advantage that will last longer is their ARM processors just being more power-efficient, so their battery-life is longer. That might make a difference if you're away from the charger for whatever reason (ie. photography/filming in remote locations).

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

How exactly do you know how educated I am, or what qualifications I have?  

I have used Apple, for your information, and would never use them again after my experiences with their customer care, fragility of some of their products, and the way they trap you into being only able to buy their more expensive products (as nothing else is compatible). 

How you seriously expected an educated and helpful response to your idea to 'bend it back' into shape rather then fixing it properly I don't known.  

Anyway, happy you sorted it yourself and saved yourself from the extortionate charges that Apple is happy to charge their loyal customers.  

ok - you had an iPhone 5 and are now an Apple expert.

I am not a CIO, but have several friends who are, and all are using Mac's for similar reasons below

The first Mac I bought was 9 years ago

- dreaded it the first few weeks - old dogs learning new tricks

- Extremely stable software

- An amazing Retina screen - I do have a windows laptop for some work things, the difference is clear

- never had a virus (yes Macs are susceptible )

- got every year free new releases of software ( dont get that on windows )

-can close the lid and open later without getting a blue screen of death or hanging

- Battery on my new one lasts 20 hours

- Battery on my old one would still go for 3 to 4 hours - thats after 9 years of use !! Try that with a Lenovo

- Screen hinges dont break after 3 years.

- all windows computers I have had lasted 3 to 4 years max,

- M1 pro Chip performance 

and the list goes on.....

Anyway, my screen not perfect, but functional now. if closing it for next 10 years wth stress, it will break from fatigue, so problem solved....

yeh, if you drop them, you are in deep pain, b

• Haha 1

Yeah, not sure why bending it back wouldn't be recommended. It's thin aluminum that's pretty easy to work no? If you're willing to remove the shell to replace it anyway you might as well gently use a couple pliers to form the old one back to shape. There will probably be a small bit of cosmetic damage but as long as the hinge is alright and it stops dust reasonably well it's not a big issue.

9 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

Yeah, not sure why bending it back wouldn't be recommended. It's thin aluminum that's pretty easy to work no? If you're willing to remove the shell to replace it anyway you might as well gently use a couple pliers to form the old one back to shape. There will probably be a small bit of cosmetic damage but as long as the hinge is alright and it stops dust reasonably well it's not a big issue.

Cheers... hard to see in pic, but improved a lot. less visible now, and screen closes properly now. Basically positioned it on one corner with some books, and incrementally put my weight on the corner more and more, trying to keep the force on the aluminium, not the screen.

taking it apart would be a huge job with risks, so better to get control of my OCD and learnt to be happy with some imperfections ????

Thanks 

IMG_0518.thumb.jpeg.70a15deeff112637d098af338442d8a9.jpeg

20 hours ago, moogradod said:

In this case 30K is a joke, I agree. And their accessories are overpriced. But to state that all Apple products are not recommended is simply not true. I had an old iPhone 7 which fell down from 1m to the floor probably 50 times. Without doing any harm to the phone..

I killed it when I went to the beach, forgot that I had the phone in my pocket and then entered the water. This was it. Since then I am using the old Samsung from my wife and she got the latest model instead.

sorry, not convinced. Apple products are the work of the Devil ????

Once more a lot of nonsense in thread.

I had a Macbook pro, that got damaged by some gross battery swell, mostly due to my negligence, as I had left the laptop on charge permanently for years.

I brought it back to the shop in Robinson's Buriram, where they replaced the body, the battery, the keyboard and fixed the screen. They charged me only for the standard battery replacement package fee as they considered that the battery swell was  an anomaly. The only negative was that it took a couple of months as they insisted on replacing the original Swiss French keyboard.

Also, I am on the market for a laptop for my wife for when she completes her masters, whenever I look at the Dell XPS range  (to compare what's comparable)  I come to the conclusion the Macbooks  aren't that expensive at all.

And BTW @skippybangkok these guys are great, but be aware that you may void any warranty if you get non Apple repairs done.

Edited by Boomer6969

1 hour ago, skippybangkok said:

ok - you had an iPhone 5 and are now an Apple expert.

I am not a CIO, but have several friends who are, and all are using Mac's for similar reasons below

The first Mac I bought was 9 years ago

- dreaded it the first few weeks - old dogs learning new tricks

- Extremely stable software

- An amazing Retina screen - I do have a windows laptop for some work things, the difference is clear

- never had a virus (yes Macs are susceptible )

- got every year free new releases of software ( dont get that on windows )

-can close the lid and open later without getting a blue screen of death or hanging

- Battery on my new one lasts 20 hours

- Battery on my old one would still go for 3 to 4 hours - thats after 9 years of use !! Try that with a Lenovo

- Screen hinges dont break after 3 years.

- all windows computers I have had lasted 3 to 4 years max,

- M1 pro Chip performance 

and the list goes on.....

Anyway, my screen not perfect, but functional now. if closing it for next 10 years wth stress, it will break from fatigue, so problem solved....

yeh, if you drop them, you are in deep pain, b

and all of what you said is negated by their refusal to repair your machine for free despite having billions of dollars in cash reserves. 

ps. I'm not a Wintel fanboi and I hate Apple with a passion but I'm not wrong ????

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

ps. I'm not a Wintel fanboi and I hate Apple with a passion but I'm not wrong ????

I know ...... but Apple products are like durian...... you can't stand it until you take your first bite!

I started as a Hackintosher, but soon I decided to forego the constant minor issues that cropped up with almost every OS update.

10 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I know ...... but Apple products are like durian...... you can't stand it until you take your first bite!

I started as a Hackintosher, but soon I decided to forego the constant minor issues that cropped up with almost every OS update.

I've used their products a few times so I'm not totally ignorant like a lot of Android fanbois. I'm also a fan of the durian's smell but not its taste so that might help to explain my aversion ????