Half of GOP Voters Ready to Leave Trump Behind, Poll Finds

Scott

Hmmm....it seems Alex Jones has turned on Trump.  I for one can't stand Alex Jones and couldn't give a hoot what he thinks about anything.  But many in Trump and MAGAworld listens to this guy.

[Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has thrown his backing behind Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, withdrawing his support for former President Donald Trump.]

["We have someone who is better than Trump. Way better than Trump," Jones said, describing DeSantis as the person Trump "should be like."]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alex-jones-turns-donald-trump-040546216.html

On 8/18/2022 at 8:50 PM, herfiehandbag said:

And yet bizarrely Wyoming sends two Senators and a Representative to Congress.

Washington DC has no Senators and their sole Representative has very restricted voting rights.

Wyoming has a population of 581,000, Washington DC has a population of 702,000.

It is a very strange democracy!

LOL. Washington DC is a territory, NOT a state.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Washington-DC/Monuments-and-memorials

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:50 AM, herfiehandbag said:

And yet bizarrely Wyoming sends two Senators and a Representative to Congress.

Washington DC has no Senators and their sole Representative has very restricted voting rights.

Wyoming has a population of 581,000, Washington DC has a population of 702,000.

It is a very strange democracy!

The term used for the USA by the Economist Group is "Flawed Democracy". It is placed in the same category as Thailand. Self proclaiming you're a great democracy doesn't mean you are one. Hell, Trump continually states he was the amount the greatest couple presidents. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

7 minutes ago, connda said:

As an independent I find DeSantis a better choice.  Never been a Trump fan.

He stands no chance of beating Trump in the runoff as it stands. The fact that he hasn't declared more stridently that he isn't standing is because he hopes something bad happens to Trump. DeSantis lost the CPAC straw poll by something like 69 to 12%. And he didn't even show up at CPAC.

Edited by ozimoron

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Based on what, Fox News appearances?  DeSantis, like Trump, is all about the show and not about results.

Can you name anything DeSantis has done for Florida that hasn't bogged down in court?  Do you think DeSantis, a Harvard Law graduate, did not know his "just for show" laws would not be modified or thrown out in court?  They get good press in some circles, which is all they were intended to do.

Illegal immigration is a good example:  Lot's of song and dance about fighting it, but zero action against illegal immigrants working in Florida or the people hiring them.

I understand that any Republican I mention will be hated by you. DeSantis gained popularity when he battled the woke school system. Please name a governor who has tried to battle illegals working. ICE is Federal and under Trump and obama raids were happening in factories. DeSantis would certainly handle the border crisis better than biden who is quietly going back to building the fence which he condemned before as racist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I understand that any Republican I mention will be hated by you. DeSantis gained popularity when he battled the woke school system. Please name a governor who has tried to battle illegals working. ICE is Federal and under Trump and obama raids were happening in factories. DeSantis would certainly handle the border crisis better than biden who is quietly going back to building the fence which he condemned before as racist. 

Thank you.  The Woke Bill is another example of DeSantis' just for show actions:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-woke-law-blocked-by-judge-over-first-amendment-issues/

Unless DeSantis is a total idiot (probably not true) he knew this would happen.  So he's wasting taxpayer money defending a law a Harvard Law educated person should know would have no chance of holding up in court.

I can't name any governor that is taking real action against illegal immigrants working in their states.  That is why I know what is happening at the border is not a crisis; if it were there would be an effort to shut down the hiring that motivates most of the immigrants to come to the country in the first place.

DeSantis did sign into law a bill that requires employers to us E-verify verify the immigration status of the people they hire, but with an amendment you can drive busloads of illegals through:

"Simmons’ amendment excludes farmers and agricultural employers, including those who recruit and transport seasonal migrant workers, and exempts “public contractors” and “subcontractors” with fewer than 10 employees and contracts less than $65,000."   https://www.thecentersquare.com/florida/florida-e-verify-bill-amended-to-exclude-agriculture-employers/article_5d050b4e-4da1-11ea-9e91-1b1c6a06b787.html

The "crisis at the border" is also all for show.  If it were a real crisis Governors like DeSantis would crack down on those that hire illegal immigrants.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Thank you.  The Woke Bill is another example of DeSantis' just for show actions:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-woke-law-blocked-by-judge-over-first-amendment-issues/

Unless DeSantis is a total idiot (probably not true) he knew this would happen.  So he's wasting taxpayer money defending a law a Harvard Law educated person should know would have no chance of holding up in court.

I can't name any governor that is taking real action against illegal immigrants working in their states.  That is why I know what is happening at the border is not a crisis; if it were there would be an effort to shut down the hiring that motivates most of the immigrants to come to the country in the first place.

DeSantis did sign into law a bill that requires employers to us E-verify verify the immigration status of the people they hire, but with an amendment you can drive busloads of illegals through:

"Simmons’ amendment excludes farmers and agricultural employers, including those who recruit and transport seasonal migrant workers, and exempts “public contractors” and “subcontractors” with fewer than 10 employees and contracts less than $65,000."   https://www.thecentersquare.com/florida/florida-e-verify-bill-amended-to-exclude-agriculture-employers/article_5d050b4e-4da1-11ea-9e91-1b1c6a06b787.html

The "crisis at the border" is also all for show.  If it were a real crisis Governors like DeSantis would crack down on those that hire illegal immigrants.

Biden does little to enforce Fed. immigration laws already on the books. If you don't think the border is a serious problem then talking about this is just a waste of time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

DeSantis is rather cunning.  He knows how to reach Trump's base, which is to amplify the culture wars.  He's supposedly a smarter version of Trump.  But I tend to think that DeSantis is quite savvy, meaning he won't govern the way Trump did.  He may just try to be a President for all Americans, not just those that support him.  DeSantis has the capacity to become "Presidential," whereas with Trump, what you see is what you get.  Although I'm not a big fan of DeSantis, I'd prefer him over Trump.   

Edited by Berkshire

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

DeSantis is rather cunning.  He knows how to reach Trump's base, which is to amplify the culture wars.  He's supposedly a smarter version of Trump.  But I tend to think that DeSantis is quite savvy, meaning he won't govern the way Trump did.  He may just try to be a President for all Americans, not just those that support him.  DeSantis has the capacity to become "Presidential," whereas with Trump, what you see is what you get.  Although I'm not a big fan of DeSantis, I'd prefer him over Trump.   

My concern with DeSantis is the same concern I have for all Republicans on the Trump side of Liz Cheney:  They have shown little respect for the conduct of elections and the count.  They might not incite a mob to storm the Capitol, but they will restrict voter registration and allowable means of voting as much as possible, and they may dispute any election result they don't like interminably. 

They will constantly test to limits of how much they can get away with.  DeSantis is smart enough to implement such laws more effectively than many elected officials have the intellect to do.  Or he may just do as he does now in Florida and make a big show out of signing laws that he knows will be shot down in court.  Either way, it's not good for democracy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

No Governor is going to do anything meaningful about illegals working in their state ever. They know where their donations come from.

You nailed it.  In Florida it is the farm and small business lobbies.  I assume the same is true in many states.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So? Only states get senators.

If Congress wanted to change it they could try to do so.

LOL. No, Congress couldn't give Washington DC the vote if it wanted to  It would take an amendment to the Constitution to give D.C.. representation in the Federal legislature. 

• Thanks 1

Y'know, every time I read the headline on this thread, it looks like.........

"Half of GOP voters ready to leave Trump's behind."

Seems more on point, to me.

---------------

---------------

(Hope no one had already found this gag----Haven't read the thread. Apologies for being redundant, if so! Lol)

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1