The waning smiles / humor of Farangs.

swissie

39 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Perhaps due to your age you are starting to suffer from dementia etc, which explains your changes in perception? 

....... thank you for confirming the observations in my post above.

• Haha 2

Even though living in Thailand is easy and almost hassle free, still, people has their own demons to deal with, from money problems, health, relationship and families back home worries, the world in turmoil and so forth, and with all the above, sometimes its hard to keep smiling and joking...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, swissie said:

But, over the years, I have noticed an increasing "somber" undertone, while talking to my Farang Friends back in Thailand.

That seems merely a projection of and reaction to your own "somber thaughts" as related here:

The older I get, the more I realise that "father-time" is starting to breathe down my neck. "Father-Time" whispering things in my ears like "Time is no more on your side and the best is behind you and the future is reduced to a big question mark at best". Resulting in "somber thaughts" occasionally on my part.

Seems more than occasionally, but rather obsessively, as that statement is a repetition of

It seems, the older I get, the more I dwell on things.

Misery loves company, eh? But I thought you'd already arrived at a solution:

What to do? Best do nothing.

after concocting this excellent justification: "the future:"

I myself believe, that upon my demise, nobody will ask me any questions anymore.

Perfect. But instead of doing nothing, we find you taking all kinds of meds and asking your own questions in the Health forum; and now you've even left Thailand to seek treatment, so attempting to postpone the solution. Why is that?

Me, I'm not having any "somber thaughts" and regularly have good laughs with my friends.

Now, to throw out a bone, I do wish the Russian hotties who were decorating the beach hadn't all left owing to the Ukraine thing; this, after they were--ah!--starting to come back; but it's just not getting me down. Still lots of lovely Thais.???? I can wait.

Edited by BigStar

On 7/14/2022 at 8:48 AM, BigStar said:

That seems merely a projection of and reaction to your own "somber thaughts" as related here:

The older I get, the more I realise that "father-time" is starting to breathe down my neck. "Father-Time" whispering things in my ears like "Time is no more on your side and the best is behind you and the future is reduced to a big question mark at best". Resulting in "somber thaughts" occasionally on my part.

Seems more than occasionally, but rather obsessively, as that statement is a repetition of

It seems, the older I get, the more I dwell on things.

Misery loves company, eh? But I thought you'd already arrived at a solution:

What to do? Best do nothing.

after concocting this excellent justification: "the future:"

I myself believe, that upon my demise, nobody will ask me any questions anymore.

Perfect. But instead of doing nothing, we find you taking all kinds of meds and asking your own questions in the Health forum; and now you've even left Thailand to seek treatment, so attempting to postpone the solution. Why is that?

Me, I'm not having any "somber thaughts" and regularly have good laughs with my friends.

Now, to throw out a bone, I do wish the Russian hotties who were decorating the beach hadn't all left owing to the Ukraine thing; this, after they were--ah!--starting to come back; but it's just not getting me down. Still lots of lovely Thais.???? I can wait.

Yes, I myself have somber thaughts, but they are not Thailand related.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:20 AM, swissie said:

. Some have died, some are still alive and kicking.

They preferrably talk about "problems". Left and right. Mostly "financially related", as I gather.

What happened to Farangs in paradise?

Your friends are old and crotchety compared to 5 years ago and have lost their lust for life.  ????????

I have only seen small price increases in the last year, yet I live simply, have no car or motorbike, and stay relatively healthy.   

I get bored with most of my friends back in the US as they have not changed in 30 years and only gripe about politics, pains and aches, and what to do in retirement.  

All are married and consider themselves stuck in that marriage for life, even though only one ever even mentions his wife.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 1:52 AM, JeffersLos said:

Perhaps due to your age you are starting to suffer from dementia etc, which explains your changes in perception? 

Perverse evolution of perception is not necessarily due to dementia.  Dementia is a horrific condition from which there is no way back, and available solutions are completely unpalatable.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, BangkokReady said:

I often found that Western culture in general relies on putting others down or making other people feel bad.  It always seems/seemed that success wasn't enough, you have to show that you are better than another.  And I feel that permeates every area of society, with a strong focus on consumerism and not just keeping up with the Jones but desperately showing that you are better than them.

I think that’s just the company that you keep, and reading too much consumerist press.

There was a thread on the pub forum about a lady with large breasts, and although I googled, I have forgotten who she was, or for what she was famous.  
I guess that Soap Operas are going through an imaginative low point, that people are using celebrities and social media as a substitute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think that’s just the company that you keep, and reading too much consumerist press.

No, it's my general impression of Western culture.  It has little to do with the company that I keep and I don't consume much "consumerist press".

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

do not think this with Thai people as much as they are more concerned with basic needs and care of their families

I guess we're all the same on the inside, just different flavours.  Having to worry about one's basic needs and not having a social safety net surely makes a difference for Thais, and we certainly don't have the same sense of family or community that our grandparents had. 

Thai people also do obsess about all sorts of things, but being better than others and putting other people down doesn't seem to be one of them.  Even the ones who want flash cars and iPhones don't seem to do it in a "I need to be better than him" kind of way.

It's certainly a nicer place to be in this regard.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

"But I have something he will never have - Enough"

No doubt, while still bothered by ego, artists are more concerned with the creative process than how much money is in their bank.  I do feel sorry for the mega-wealthy.  They rarely seem to be happy.  I know I'd rather look back and have brought joy to millions through some artistic endeavour than simply having an enormous bank balance.

The mean-funny school of comedians is declining over all.  The young fear offending anyone and having it googlable forever.  The problem: Mean-funny is the funniest-funny.

To list but a few in order of my preference (which means meaness): Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, Eddy Murphy, Frankie Boyle. Even Amy Shumer; she's a little bit mean.

Frankie Boyle is literally too mean even for the mean-comedy States, where mean-comedy is alway neck and neck with the English (plus he won't fly). He called his book, My Piece of ---- of a Book. 

The Germans get off some zingers too. The French, you'd think would be mean-comic, but not so much. Maybe a language barrier.

6 hours ago, 2009 said:

I see Thais being very materialistic and try to keep up with the other Somsaks and Ting Tongs probably much more than I ever witnessed back West.

Cars, bike, gold, phones, designer things, house, land, making merit/donations, dowry, gifts, how much ice cream money their kid gets each day for school.......so much competition.

Agree 100%. In my country of New Zealand, in most company no-one gives a toss about what sort of phone you use and you'll actually get brownie points for playing things down generally, especially if you do have means. Drive an old (but reliable) car, wear old (but clean) clothes until they're totally worn and NOT playing the big man with money go a long way in this part of the world.  My Thai Mrs' sister used to ask her why I used to never buy the newest, fashionable clothes rather than dress down. To her, it was unfathomable that I chose to not to be flashy whereas in my country, that sort of behaviour is considered unseemly, pretentious and showy.

• Like 2