So, are BA.4 BA.5 sub-variants containable in Thailand?

webfact

Is it containable?

If it's already been detected in Thailand then the simple answer is no, everywhere is open, even mass events.

Couple that to this weeks 5 day holiday and watch the numbers go up more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Haven't most of the variants been less harmful but more numerous?  It seems like "experts" have been extremely hesitant to actually confirm whether variants are more or less severe in terms of infection.  I think they have an interest in keeping people scared.

Covid has been an extremely good time for viral experts and the WHO.  I don't believe any of them are in a hurry to allow covid to just drift away into the flu or the common cold, no matter how much evidence there is.

Monkey pox is another one they're trying to push to be a global pandemic because it keeps them in the spotlight.  Things like Bird Flu came and went with much less coverage in comparison.  It's not unlike the 80s/90s when it suddenly seemed like there were masses of child kidnapping occurring, when really the press just seized on them to sell papers.

Suggest you read this, it is a study from earlier in the year, but it is still relevant.

Challenges in Inferring Intrinsic Severity of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant (nejm.org)

Though from your comments you may prefer "to do your own research".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand behind the times yet again, we've got a new one out over here now, goes by the name of Centaurus....outdoes Omicron in the 'highly contagious' club apparently according to nutty professors anyway????????

You'll be sticking your mouth tampons on walking down the street again soon i'm afraid.

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Rigorous data-based analysis at its best.

Really, who cares about this stuff anymore? 

There are always the recalcitrants that don’t care till they caught the virus. Then they reflect that they should heed those data or perhaps may be tad late. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Covid. The gift that keeps on giving, if you're a totalitarian minded dictator or political party that wants to control everybody's actions.

Nothing other than a crazy conspiracy theory. Just exactly how is any government controlling anybody's actions in such a way that the government gains?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks for the insight ...

I had Delta last year. I really don't care if I get Covid again. My sister's had it 3 times now (UK school teacher). It's everywhere. It's mild for the vast majority of people. Live in fear if you choose. I'd rather not.

I get your point and many among us are suffering from covid fatigue and had reached a breaking point with the deluge of information and masking reminders etc. Me too. 

I was infected with mild covid only recently but still the few days of fever, fatigue, sore throat and consistent coughing were uncomfortable. Put me off work and did my best to isolate myself not because I fear but to ensure those close to me will not get infected. 

The Omicron variant is mild according to data; thank god. I consider taking precautions like masking, distancing and vaccines mild precautions too. Didn’t inconvenience me at all and probably saved my life. Stay well and safe mate. 

Edited by Eric Loh
Wrong word
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks for the insight ...

I had Delta last year. I really don't care if I get Covid again. My sister's had it 3 times now (UK school teacher). It's everywhere. It's mild for the vast majority of people. Live in fear if you choose. I'd rather not.

Precautions are mainly intended to save other people's lives. This appears to be the main issue with the right, they don't care about others, just themselves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, shdmn said:

Any suggesting to keep wearing masks as a solution is beyond ridiculous at this point,

Suggesting masks don’t  help is even further beyond ridiculous. It was never “ solution “.Most people still wear them here and infections are considerably lower than a basket case like the UK where people have consistently been  rattling on about their right not to wear a mask. 

Edited by Fairynuff
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

What's it got to do with the 'Right'? Some people prefer to be told what to do, others prefer to make their own minds up, and to believe that people should take agency for their own lives where possible. A democratic government should respect that. An autocratic government will always know what's best for people. 

People at serious risk from Covid are in a distinct minority. Why should the majority sacrifice for the minority? 

This is precisely my point. Statistically, right wingers share your viewpoint. The left believe that we live in a cooperative society.

13 hours ago, shdmn said:

Not containable.  Any suggesting to keep wearing masks as a solution is beyond ridiculous at this point, so of course that is what the WHO is recommending.  It's not more dangerous so nothing to be any more concerned about than previous Omicron variants.

He’s basing all his findings on 13 serious cases 76% were BA4/5 that’s a sample of just 10 people and 3 of the BA2 variant  cases, no information if any of these people were at risk because of underlying health issues,  there are many people still out there with health issues that are now being exposed because of the withdrawal of restrictions. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil1975 said:

What a stupid question, of course they are not containable, they never were, and never will be. 

Current "vaccines" totally useless while big pharma rakes in billions on a "vaccine" developed nearly 3 years ago. The new MNRA process was supposed to mean modifying the "vaccine" quickly to keep up with the virus, but that has not happened at all. 

It will be interesting if they really do modify the "vaccine" for B4 and B5 and release globally by October. I highly doubt it tho...

yep just in time for B6..B7.....leading onto.....................B65 B66 

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Suggesting masks don’t  help is even further beyond ridiculous. It was never “ solution “.Most people still wear them here and infections are considerably lower than a basket case like the UK where people have consistently been  rattling on about their right not to wear a mask. 

How do you explain the previous wave in Thailand where cases exploded when everything was shut down and everyone was wearing masks while the western world, including UK, were going down?  Also, how do you explain China which still gets out breaks despite it practically being a capital crime to not wear a mask.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

What's it got to do with the 'Right'? Some people prefer to be told what to do, others prefer to make their own minds up, and to believe that people should take agency for their own lives where possible. A democratic government should respect that. An autocratic government will always know what's best for people. 

People at serious risk from Covid are in a distinct minority. Why should the majority sacrifice for the minority? 

No-one has any idea about the real level of infections here in Thailand. Surely you don't believe the official statistics? Of course, it would be inconvenient for the government to admit that manic masking doesn't stop many infections, given how easy it is to catch it now. If moronic compliance with rules just because they're 'the rules' is your thing, that's up to you. I find it frankly astonishing how easily people will cede personal liberties with nary a whimper. 

If moronic denial of facts is your thing then so be it, I really don’t care about you or whether live or die from Covid, why would I?I don’t believe the numbers put out by any government, but wearing a mask is minor inconvenience and nothing whatsoever to do with my liberties. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1