Balanitis in Thailand

Sufferer1408

No doctor seems to be of any help. I have now been suffering for 5 months. Can anyone reccomend any clinic or place I can get a real diagnosis? Doctors just send me home and play a guessing game with different useless creams. I have been tested for nearly every STD all negative. At my whits end with this heinous condition. 

I had a similar problem last year.

I went to my local government hospital, and the young doctor was good enough to recommend me to one of the hospital's dermatologists, who in turn prescribed a corticosteroid cream and said "come back in a month"  No improvement over a month, back to the same doctor - "continue treatment, comback in a month".  Still no improvement after another month.

In dispair, I travelled to Bumrungrad Hospital's Skin Centre in Bangkok - having booked an appointment online (go to the Hospital's webpage) with a Thai and USA-trained dermatologist.  She prescribed a Spanish-manufactured antifungal cream (which is not widely available in Thailand - local pharmacies and the Thai private hospitals I asked at do no have it) and a cream "powder".  Symptoms started to clear after 10 days and all gone after about 20 days.  The doctor also told me that using the corticosteroid cream for 2+ months was "dangerous".

I have seen 3 different dermatologists at Bumrungrad Hospital over the past 9 years - all of them have been great.  For me, it is has been wotth the extra financial cost, and 3 hour drive to Bangkok, to see these doctors.  I have yet to find a competent dermatologist locally.

Good luck, I hope you get better soon.  And yes, it is a "heinous condition", as I know all to well, having had my first outbreak about 15 years ago back in Australia.

• Like 1

Try Bactocel ointment, which is povidone iodine, locally produced, or Betadine ointment, more difficult to find and more expensive. (use ointment NOT cream). Use daily until visible signs are gone, and for six weeks after!

It is a recurrent condition, so watch carefully and restart treatment as soon as it appears. Hopefully after a year or so it will be gone. No doctors etc. involved, and cheap, harmless medicament.

PS works for Athletes Foot too!

Edited by Grusa

3 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I had a similar problem last year.

I went to my local government hospital, and the young doctor was good enough to recommend me to one of the hospital's dermatologists, who in turn prescribed a corticosteroid cream and said "come back in a month"  No improvement over a month, back to the same doctor - "continue treatment, comback in a month".  Still no improvement after another month.

In dispair, I travelled to Bumrungrad Hospital's Skin Centre in Bangkok - having booked an appointment online (go to the Hospital's webpage) with a Thai and USA-trained dermatologist.  She prescribed a Spanish-manufactured antifungal cream (which is not widely available in Thailand - local pharmacies and the Thai private hospitals I asked at do no have it) and a cream "powder".  Symptoms started to clear after 10 days and all gone after about 20 days.  The doctor also told me that using the corticosteroid cream for 2+ months was "dangerous".

I have seen 3 different dermatologists at Bumrungrad Hospital over the past 9 years - all of them have been great.  For me, it is has been wotth the extra financial cost, and 3 hour drive to Bangkok, to see these doctors.  I have yet to find a competent dermatologist locally.

Good luck, I hope you get better soon.  And yes, it is a "heinous condition", as I know all to well, having had my first outbreak about 15 years ago back in Australia.

Hey Jim, I also went to a urologist at Bumrungrad and he just gave me a useless cream. Seemed like he wanted me in and out of the doctors office as fast as possible. Do you remember which dermatologist you saw that if comfortable looking at genitals? Or could you get the name please. It would mean the world to me. 
I saw a dermatologist at Bumrungrad also for a genital problem and she was the most dismissive worthless dermatologist I have ever been to, even worse than local hospitals. 

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Have you checked your blood sugar? If you are diabetic or near-diabetic you are at high risk. Unless you address the cause of it the topical treatment will be of minor help at best. 

Hi Austin, yes i actually was tested for diabetes, my blood sugar level was normal. I was thinking of going for a swab culture and urethral swab next, then if still no answers do a biopsy. Should I just go to bumrungrad for this stuff?

2 hours ago, Sufferer1408 said:

Hey Jim, I also went to a urologist at Bumrungrad and he just gave me a useless cream. Seemed like he wanted me in and out of the doctors office as fast as possible. Do you remember which dermatologist you saw that if comfortable looking at genitals? Or could you get the name please. It would mean the world to me. 
I saw a dermatologist at Bumrungrad also for a genital problem and she was the most dismissive worthless dermatologist I have ever been to, even worse than local hospitals. 

The dermatologist's name is Dr. Nicha Rungsimanond.

I had seen her for skin checks several times before this visit.  I described to her the symptoms and the location, and she asked permission to view the rash.

Like you, I have also encountered a few female Thai doctors, who seem to not want to the "view" (farang??) penis; including the dermatologist at my local governemnt hospital.

Balanitis is generally considered a dermatological issue, rather than a urological one.

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brahmz said:

This condition occurs because your immune system is defective.

To fix it permanently you need to change your diet.

Go here https://www.ibsexplained.com/

Download the Keto Diet and eat it.

Contact me if you decide to do this, and I will give you instructions for a Thai version of the diet.

I have been eating this way for 12 years. It works.

What the hell has Irritable Bowel Syndrome got to do with Balanitis?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

The dermatologist's name is Dr. Nicha Rungsimanond.

I had seen her for skin checks several times before this visit.  I described to her the symptoms and the location, and she asked permission to view the rash.

Like you, I have also encountered a few female Thai doctors, who seem to not want to the "view" (farang??) penis; including the dermatologist at my local governemnt hospital.

Balanitis is generally considered a dermatological issue, rather than a urological one.

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

Wow, funny you mention that dermatologist. That is exactly the doctor I saw for a different viral disease I had on my genital area. She was the worst dermatologist I had ever seen. She gave horrible advice on my condition and said I could basically continue to have sex with it and also said the lesions were too small to identify. I went to another clinic and they identified and treated the viral disease. Also, the whole time i was in her office I got the feeling she wanted me out of there as fast as possible. I don’t have anything positive to say about her, but i’m glad your experience was not the same as mine.

4 hours ago, Carlosm said:

Yes, Quadriderm is a very effective cream. Also, in addition, an anti-fungal viral pill Fluconazole also should be taken.

Having said that, it is extremely important to keep everything bone dry at all times and washing yourself after going to the toilet etc.

Also as this is very easily transmissible, your girlfriend / partner needs to be tested.

Edited by Pdavies99

OK, this is anecdotal, but true:

Back in Malaysia in the army I contracted balanitis after a night in a house of ill repute in a village which had been declared off bounds to us (for that reason). Even in the army I saw rules as a challenge not a mandate.

The doctor diagnosed it and the treatment was to bathe my bell end in salt water solution several times a day (dip it in and let it soak for a minute or two). I told 'em the truth 'cos I figured it was important epidemiologically, and they didn't discipline me.

I can't remember how long it took, but within a few days at the most it was gone.

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

Yes, Quadriderm is a very effective cream. Also, in addition, an anti-fungal viral pill Fluconazole also should be taken.

Having said that, it is extremely important to keep everything bone dry at all times and washing yourself after going to the toilet etc.

Also as this is very easily transmissible, your girlfriend / partner needs to be tested.

I’ve tried the bone dry strategy for MONTHS, and did weeks of fluconazole. Now i am doing nothing to it.

7 hours ago, Sufferer1408 said:

Hi Austin, yes i actually was tested for diabetes, my blood sugar level was normal. I was thinking of going for a swab culture and urethral swab next, then if still no answers do a biopsy. Should I just go to bumrungrad for this stuff?

In my case the dermatologist gave me a cream. But he did say we need to establish the cause otherwise once you stop the cream it can come back. In my case I was pre-diabetic and was eating carbs when I felt like it. I stopped carbs as much as possible and never had an issue since. That’s many months ago. So if the cream is not helping you and you believe your blood sugar level ok then doing a swab is the best way to determine the cause of it. 

I am not familiar with this condition and have not had it myself but I see it has been described as "fungal". If that is the case, I highly recommend you try this supplement:

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/formula-sf722-reg

I have used it for other fungal conditions and it is amazingly effective. Read reviews online about how effective this product is for any fungal condition. Thorne Research is a high-end American manufacturer of supplements and this product really works. You can order it online from Lazada / Shopee.

12 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

What the hell has Irritable Bowel Syndrome got to do with Balanitis?  

IBS and other gut issues frequently manifest themselves with skin issues / rashes etc. In these cases, treating the skin does not address the underlying cause which may well be in the gut.

12 hours ago, mstevens said:

I am not familiar with this condition and have not had it myself but I see it has been described as "fungal". If that is the case, I highly recommend you try this supplement:

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/formula-sf722-reg

I have used it for other fungal conditions and it is amazingly effective. Read reviews online about how effective this product is for any fungal condition. Thorne Research is a high-end American manufacturer of supplements and this product really works. You can order it online from Lazada / Shopee.

Steven all you did was take those and you were fixed? Or did you have any other parts of the routine?

11 hours ago, Sufferer1408 said:

Steven all you did was take those and you were fixed? Or did you have any other parts of the routine?

For me, the issue was fungal so I avoided anything with much sugar in it (which can feed yeast / fungus etc.) for a few weeks and consumed the bottle of Thorne Research Undecylenic Acid. That was it. It worked perfectly for me but, like I say, I did not have Balantis but other fungal issues. If your Balantis is fungal, I'd bet the farm this will work for you.

For me, the issue was fungal so I avoided anything with much sugar in it (which can feed yeast / fungus etc.) for a few weeks and consumed the bottle of Thorne Research Undecylenic Acid, which took a bit over a couple of weeks. That was it. It worked perfectly for me but, like I say, I did not have Balantis but other fungal issues. If your Balantis is fungal, I'd bet the farm this will work for you.

Edited by mstevens