64-year-old British man reportedly falls into canal in Na Jomtien and drowns

snoop1130

2 hours ago, tandor said:

...you a sadly very wrong...all deaths are fully investigated. Thailands' Forensic Science Department and Detectives do a good job.

Still woefully inadequate.

Credibility of forensic evidences is very important to court judgment. However, chronic problems in Thailand’s forensic science system can negatively affect credibility of forensic evidences during court trial. It was reported that the problems and causes, that can decrease credibility of forensic evidences, are arisen from the incompetent processes related to forensic evidence management, collection and investigation. 

https://so04.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/journal_sct/article/view/194157

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Could have leaned over the rail for a quick rest and had a heart attack.

While we do not know,  ^ this seems like a fair guess and what I thought as well. Could have been resting after a run, was resting on the rail, stood up, got light headed and lost his balance and fell. People can drowned in a few inches of water if they are unconscious so doesn't matter if it was 2 feet of water. When I run and mountain bike ride, I only carry my Thai license and a couple hundred baht and usually my smart phone. 

I do always find it a bit disturbing that the audience here always suspects foul play and think their posts are witty and clever on every death that happens here. Look at the age of most of the foreigners that pass here. This seems like an unfortunate accident but one that happens everywhere in the world. 

RIP 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Is a 64 year old man considered "elderly" in Britain?

Wouldn't even qualify for a Senior discount in America. ????

He had to jog/run. Not yet old enough for a free bus pass.????

every time i see a report of an ''acedental'' death of a Farang

i am reminded of my  close encounter with one.

i am on the phone to my daughter in the UK, in those days there was

no mobiles like there is today, so i was on the hotel front desk phone.

a young lady rushed up to me and shouted for help ? i looked about

and could not see anything wrong? there was quite a few people waiting for the lift, and i scanned them but saw no obvious threat?

the next min the Thai lady on the desk told me in good english that

the lady was upset as her and her boyfriend have been fighting and

there was no problem.

i informed my daughter there was no problem and hung up and went to sit with my friends. a few hours later there was a leak comming from the direction of the lift ??? i did look at it and it was water.

the next day we were told that the lady who had shouted help to me

had killed herself.

this small lady had somehow got out of the lift top and threw herself

down the lift shaft ? ? ? no official ever contacted me, and it was down as she killed herself, this was about 20years ago, and nothing has changed from what i have seen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

British tourist who resided in the area.

So, not a tourist then. Perhaps the correspondent who writes for Pattaya News once worked for TAT and can't tell the difference between a tourist and a resident. The Mirror reports that he was an expat.

Seems to me that he might have suffered a heart attack after running. Not that unusual. And age wouldn't be a factor. The 49 year old manager of the UK League 2 team I follow, an ex Spurs player, had a cardiac arrest at the gym and died a few days later. If you 'challenge' your body in order to 'keep fit' then it can backfire on you. Everything In Moderation is my motto. Boring, I know.

• Like 1

Seems impossible to fall into a canal and drown.   Stretching on a bridge.....  

I'm an avid runner.  There is 0% this being the whole story.   Even if your blood sugar collapses and/or the heat is unbearable, you don't fall into a canal and drown.  

These canals aren't a big risk to drowning. 

They found him "fully-clothed".  What does that mean?  Wearing running attire or not?  That would make a big difference, IMO>

50 cm deep?  NO way......   perhaps a heart attack, stroke, something......then drowns.

Guy seemed like a nice guy, and I rarely say that about expats.   Hope to hear more about this, RIP.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phil1975 said:

Regular jogger so likely fit and healthy who always runs the same route just happened to dive over a guard rail and then drown in knee height water?! <deleted>. 

Just because he's a regular jogger doesn't necessarily mean he's healthy. He could be a borderline alcoholic, and a smoker, unhealthy diet, for most of his life, and still manage to go for a jog. 

First of all RIP Mr. Moorcroft.

A famous case in the US of a guy who promoted running for health and fitness and died of a heart attack while running.

"Running, heart disease, and the ironic death of Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx was one of millions ofAmericans who started running in the 1 960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Unlike other runners, however, Fixx wrote a best-selling book about running and, ironically, died of a heart attack at the age of 52 years while running."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11926483/

As others have said, it happens.

I would still guess that sitting on the couch is more dangerous all things considered.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I dare say the autopsy will reveal he was hit by a pick up or something

But the police will never discover the obvious we all know: it was driven by his wife's Thai boyfriend. Thank you, CSI: TVF (AN)!

1 minute ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I am 81 and still have to catch myself, when I hear that someone aged around 70 or so has died, from saying "Well, he had a good innings", since I still think of myself as being younger than that.  Realism sets in a bit when I look in the mirror!

I'm only 57. Occasionally I visit my mother's grave. Not too far away are the plots where children, many of them very young are buried. I think to myself how increbibly lucky we have been to reach the age that we have.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

First of all RIP Mr. Moorcroft.

A famous case in the US of a guy who promoted running for health and fitness and died of a heart attack while running.

"Running, heart disease, and the ironic death of Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx was one of millions ofAmericans who started running in the 1 960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Unlike other runners, however, Fixx wrote a best-selling book about running and, ironically, died of a heart attack at the age of 52 years while running."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11926483/

As others have said, it happens.

I would still guess that sitting on the couch is more dangerous all things considered.

You beat me to it.

But most people, having read only headlines, don't know that Fixx suffered from the serious effects of his previous unhealthy lifestyle, most notably heavy smoking. He ignored them despite obvious signs of arterial blockage and even the urging of Ken Cooper himself to come in for tests, which he finally intended to do.

We may speculate that he'd expired even younger without his running. Nonetheless, his exaggerated faith in it was simply irrational.

Such could easily be the case here.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You should watch some of the UK hospital programs, you might be surprised how many so called healthy and fit people, particularly in that age group collapse suddenly when exercising and often die.

I'm 72 and go for 2 swims (1 x one hour and 1 x half hour) every day + some strength exercises as well (pull-ups, sit-ups, press-ups etc) so I'd better watch out hadn't I

8 minutes ago, rtco said:

I'm 72 and go for 2 swims (1 x one hour and 1 x half hour) every day + some strength exercises as well (pull-ups, sit-ups, press-ups etc) so I'd better watch out hadn't I

Yes, still better watch the diet and the numbers. You're not off the hook, sorry.

--Alan Watson

Edited by BigStar

5 hours ago, Phil1975 said:

Regular jogger so likely fit and healthy who always runs the same route just happened to dive over a guard rail and then drown in knee height water?! <deleted>. 

You never know what can be an underlying heart issue causing collapse then subsequent drowning, I had a close friend who was an ex army physical instructor who died of a heart attack on a hum treadmill at the young age of 40, just 3 months before he was due to marry. Sometimes it’s just your time to go. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

how increbibly lucky we have been to reach the age that we have.

More like freakin' amazing.  I've tried killing myself more than a few times, luckily failed miserably.  Never thought I'd make it past 30, let alone 40-50-60.

“If I had known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself.” Billy Noonan

I don't exercise too strenuously, as I figure my heart is good for so many beats ... so I don't want to use them up any faster ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

I am no doctor but a heart attack or blackout could be to blame

No doctor here either but seems pretty obvious that he was killed and the body was dumped from a car into the canal.

So the police would have us believe that the man was jogging in a polo shirt, had a heart attack, jumped over the railing and drowned in knee deep water? Anything to avoid bad publicity ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm only 57. Occasionally I visit my mother's grave. Not too far away are the plots where children, many of them very young are buried. I think to myself how increbibly lucky we have been to reach the age that we have.

I've exercised all my life except for a short period when I first came here, got  fat/out of shape and suffered a heart attack.  After recovering got back to working out , eating better and feel great but still have a long way to go to make it to mom and dad's age.  Mom  92, dad 95, gran -ma (Dad's side )  102.

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

Seems impossible to fall into a canal and drown.   Stretching on a bridge.....  

Exactly ????

There is no evidence that he was exercising there at all. 

The body was dumped from the bridge. Investigate the wife and her boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't exercise too strenuously, as I figure my heart is good for so many beats ... so I don't want to use them up any faster ... ????

Nonsense, as you probably know. But by that theory you'd want to exercise strenuously for brief periods (read: intervals) to condition the cardiovascular system enough to bring down your resting heart rate signficantly and so conserve the number of beats. A common chart:

image.png.a6b715299fb9dfc54aac12e2638435f3.png

And resting heart rate correlates with mortality:

The heart rate hypothesis: ready to be tested | Heart

--https://heart.bmj.com/content/94/5/561

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1