By raft and on foot, migrants cross Rio Grande from Mexico to Texas

Scott

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

4 yr old video. Seems like theirs coyote helpers staging smuggler routes. How do you know this water was for illegals and not left for drug smugglers. You don't. 

Maybe we should leave rental car and hotel reservations as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

4 yr old video. Seems like theirs coyote helpers staging smuggler routes. How do you know this water was for illegals and not left for drug smugglers. You don't. 

Maybe we should leave rental car and hotel reservations as well.

Maybe Border Agents have no business destroying water dumps left for people in a desert.

That said, whenever did you want to hear anything that contradicts your views, even when you specifically asked for it?!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What impact?

Cheap Labour employed by local businesses, getting your yard work done, staff for a golf course?

NYC is responding by providing the means to integrate these new comers, it’s a long time NYC practice.

Unlike Texas, scapegoating people who contribute to the Texan economy.

Fix the power grid and quit scapegoating people dealing the American Dream.

If it's such an economic boost having illegals, why is the NYC major so angry about the illegals being bused to his city. According to you there's zero impact of having cities flooded with illegals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

If it's such an economic boost having illegals, why is the NYC major so angry about the illegals being bused to his city. According to you there's zero impact of having cities flooded with illegals.

They are not illegals.  They are in the US legally.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Credo said:

They are not illegals.  They are in the US legally.

So, answer why NYC doesn't want all the "legal" south of the border peoples if as stated before that they are an economic boost to the economy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Mayor not major. You get rattled easily. Why is Abbott using weak and sick innocent people to play his political game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

As usual, mischaracterization of the DC response.

People being shipped to DC when their actual destination is elsewhere.

Abbot needs to get on and fix the power grid an quit with grandstanding for his rabid base.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As usual, mischaracterization of the DC response.

People being shipped to DC when their actual destination is elsewhere.

Abbot needs to get on and fix the power grid an quit with grandstanding for his rabid base.

You stated these folks were good for the economy, so what exactly is the problem in NYC and WDC?

Could it be their services are being overwhelmed?

And those are sanctuary cities. They actually asked for help from National Guard which was declined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

You stated these folks were good for the economy, so what exactly is the problem in NYC and WDC?

Could it be their services are being overwhelmed?

And those are sanctuary cities. They actually asked for help from National Guard which was declined. 

Immigrants are good for the economy.

America is a nation of immigrants.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Oh, you mean immigrants like my parents who came through Ellis Island. These folks aren't immigrants.

Only a fool would think that Euro immigrants wouldn't have walked or rafted in if they could have... Irish? Potato famine? Think they wouldn't have walked in if Ireland bordered the USA? My grandparents would have avoided the grueling boat journey with 3 kids under 4 if they could have walked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Continuing to call migrants being bused to other destinations illegal immigrants will result in a suspension.  It is false and misleading.  They are not in the US illegally.   Most credible sources refer to them as migrants.  Members are expected to do the same.  Here are a few headlines on how it is reported:

Gov. Greg Abbott sends five more buses of migrants to New York, escalating feud with Mayor Eric Adams

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/24/greg-abbott-eric-adams-migrant-busing-new-york/

GOP governors sent buses of migrants to D.C. and NYC — with no plan for what's next

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/05/1115479280/migration-border-greg-abbott-texas-bus-dc-nyc-mayors

Texas has bused nearly 9,000 migrants to NYC and DC as an affront to Biden's immigration policies

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/27/us/texas-buses-migrants-nyc-dc/index.html

Operation Lone Star Ramps Up Busing Of Migrants To NYC, D.C. To Provide Relief To Border Communities

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/operation-lone-star-ramps-up-busing-of-migrants-to-nyc-d.c-to-provide-relief-to-border-communities

The last link is from a .gov website where they are referred to as migrants.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, answer why NYC doesn't want all the "legal" south of the border peoples if as stated before that they are an economic boost to the economy.

I don't recall the mayor saying he doesn't want them.  The problem is that resettling them takes time and effort.  NYC does not have abundance of available housing.   There are agencies, mostly NGO's who are being bypassed in the resettlement process.   Putting them on a bus and sending them without planning puts a lot of unnecessary stress on everyone concerned.   

Economically, the US has a lot of jobs available, as a matter of fact, the most recent jobs report shows 2 jobs for every available worker.  I don't think there will be a problem finding employment for these people.  It's providing the services to get them ready for employment that is a problem.

This is little more than a political stunt with people being the pawns in the Governor's little game.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

A lot if times, it has nothing to do with what the employer wants. It ISN'T that they don't want to pay the union workers union wages to do the menial jobs. It is frequently prohibited by the union itself, in the contract.

In my whopping 21 days as a teamster in the "Bottlers Union" working at Anhueser Busch in Van Nuys, California............ I worked in Quality Control.

One night, I finished up all the work I had been assigned roughly a hour and a half before the end of my shift. I figured, no problem! I'll pick up a broom or something! But oh, no, no, no!

If I, as a Quality Control "bottler," did clean-up work.......... then the guy whose job it was to clean floors......... might lose his job!

Indeed, one night I got read the "riot act" because I picked up a case of 24 bottles and brought it into the lab to QC!

"Oh no! No, no, no! You can't do that!"

As a QC worker, I was not ALLOWED to carry a full case! If I needed cases brought into the lab, I needed to contact a supervisor, and the supervisor would assign a "bottler" to carry the cases in. This could take a couple of hours, though.

So, what WAS I allowed to carry, so our productivity wasnt completely tanked? I was allowed to take one 

bottle or can out of the case, carry in the 23 bottles or cans remaining, then go back outside and get the one more!

Because it was a BOTTLER'S job to carry full cases, not Quality Control's job! And if QC starts doing a Bottler's job.......... the company might decide to get rid of some "Bottlers!" 

Believe me, none of this came from THE COMPANY! This was all THE UNION!

The point is........

A lot of times, the company gets THE BLAME............. but the company is not THE PROBLEM!

I believe that's mainly about worker's compensation and insurance. For example, the "bottler" will have had specific training in how to pick up heavy things but probably not a QA officer. If you did your back in and the company hadn't given you this training they would have potentially a huge payout, fine and conviction. You were permitted to carry a part case because that was judged to be under a specified weight limit. As convoluted and unproductive as it may have seemed it is the only way a large company can operate. They must have an OH&S plan for every job. The union would be a signatory to those rules.

Edited by ozimoron

18 hours ago, mikebike said:

Only a fool would think that Euro immigrants wouldn't have walked or rafted in if they could have... Irish? Potato famine? Think they wouldn't have walked in if Ireland bordered the USA? My grandparents would have avoided the grueling boat journey with 3 kids under 4 if they could have walked.

So, you're equating the Potato Famine which killed a million people 170 yrs ago to what's happening at the border today. 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/migrants-from-106-countries-crossed-southern-border-in-del-rio-sector-in-2021

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Credo said:

I don't recall the mayor saying he doesn't want them.  The problem is that resettling them takes time and effort.  NYC does not have abundance of available housing.   There are agencies, mostly NGO's who are being bypassed in the resettlement process.   Putting them on a bus and sending them without planning puts a lot of unnecessary stress on everyone concerned.   

Economically, the US has a lot of jobs available, as a matter of fact, the most recent jobs report shows 2 jobs for every available worker.  I don't think there will be a problem finding employment for these people.  It's providing the services to get them ready for employment that is a problem.

This is little more than a political stunt with people being the pawns in the Governor's little game.  

I think it's only fair the sanctuary cities get a taste of what the border cities are enduring. it's unrealistic to believe the US cities can absorb such a huge influx of migrants so quickly without our own citizens suffering. To include hospital care and schooling.

We complain about low wages while we bring in 100's of thousands of migrants who will be competing with our own citizens for unskilled and semi skilled work. Homelessness is skyrocketing do to high rent, yet somehow we believe these migrants will magically join the work force and be self sufficient.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I think it's only fair the sanctuary cities get a taste of what the border cities are enduring. it's unrealistic to believe the US cities can absorb such a huge influx of migrants so quickly without our own citizens suffering. To include hospital care and schooling.

We complain about low wages while we bring in 100's of thousands of migrants who will be competing with our own citizens for unskilled and semi skilled work. Homelessness is skyrocketing do to high rent, yet somehow we believe these migrants will magically join the work force and be self sufficient.

People are not pawns to be toyed with to revenge your feelings.  They are living, breathing people.  They have arrived in the US and according to the laws of the US, they have the right to remain here for the time being.  If you don't like it, then change the laws.   

Our own citizens suffer because of the right wingers who don't want to spend money on education or health care.  They have no problem in seeing the extremely wealthy get richer, they have no problem giving money to cronies, but God help anything for the peasants.   

Oh, and I live along the border and the problem is greatly over exaggerated.  It is a problem for Border patrol and officials, but for most of us, we don't suffer in anyway.  What we do suffer from is the gun violence -- and that's not caused by those crossing the border.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

People are not pawns to be toyed with to revenge your feelings.  They are living, breathing people.  They have arrived in the US and according to the laws of the US, they have the right to remain here for the time being.  If you don't like it, then change the laws.   

Our own citizens suffer because of the right wingers who don't want to spend money on education or health care.  They have no problem in seeing the extremely wealthy get richer, they have no problem giving money to cronies, but God help anything for the peasants.   

Oh, and I live along the border and the problem is greatly over exaggerated.  It is a problem for Border patrol and officials, but for most of us, we don't suffer in anyway.  What we do suffer from is the gun violence -- and that's not caused by those crossing the border.   

From the CNN link posted in a post half a dozen or so upthread of this one............

"Abbott's office has said that 'to board a bus or flight, a migrant must volunteer to be transported and show documentation from DHS.'"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/27/us/texas-buses-migrants-nyc-dc/index.html

Seems to me that, yes, they are being used for a political purpose, but they are not "pawns." Abbott is using them for his own purposes........... and the migrants are agreeing to participate for their own purpose. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Each is using the other for their own ends!

Thus............

From the NPR link in the same post upthread.........

"For them, it was just a free ride," Nuñez said. "They didn't really have any other options and were offered a bus to the East Coast — Washington, D.C. — which some of them understood was closer to their final destination ... so they were happy." [Nuñez is an NGO worker providing aid. -- KG]

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/05/1115479280/migration-border-greg-abbott-texas-bus-dc-nyc-mayors

Doing things for political purposes is not automatically bad. If they were being mistreated, THAT would be bad. But they ARENT being mistreated. They are are just being relocated. Voluntarily relocated! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:59 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Maybe because that's not where the jobs are. Where they have connections. I guess you believe government interference in the free market is the way to go.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Credo said:

Here is what I see........

The receiving cities (New York & DC) are saying they have systems for handling these people, but it takes time and effort to implement and utilize these resourses properly. That this sudden influx  is putting them at an extreme disadvantage.

The funny thing is, as they say these things, fully expecting to be listened to..............

they don't seem to realize they are saying the exact same things that Abbott has been saying!........

.........that the sudden influx created by an insufficiently controlled border........... is overwhelming their systems and putting them [Texas] at an extreme disadvantage!

So............New York & DC expect to be heard when they complain about being put at an extreme disadvantage............ while, at the same time, Texas is getting told to "suck it up!"

Now, I'm no fan of Abbott, but I recognise and appreciate what he's doing: When you talk and talk and talk but no one is listening.......... the next appropriate thing to do is escalate! To make them listen!

And as long as the people being transported are being transported voluntarily......... I've got no problem with it.

History is riddled with positive changes that never would have occurred.......... if people hadn't gotten loud and boisterous along the way!

Abbott is just upping the ante on being loud and boisterous!

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

On 7/21/2022 at 10:11 PM, Credo said:

I'd say that's a big yes:

Since the Revolutionary War, immigrants have been a vital part of the United States military. In fact each year about 8,000 non-citizens enlist in the U.S. armed forces. According to the U.S. Defense Department, there are currently 30,000-plus non-citizens serving on active duty.

To qualify for US citizenship via armed service. My grandfather did it over 100 years ago. 

Edited by nauseus

"But that's not — it's not like somebody walks over," Jean-Pierre responded. She later said "It is not that simple. It’s not just that people are walking across the border."

And that is how out of touch with reality the White House is.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-yet-visit-besieged-southern-border-white-house-caught-migrant-controversy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

To qualify for US citizenship via armed service. My grandfather did it over 100 years ago. 

And even though it’s over a hundred years ago, respect to your grandfather’s service.

But then there was this:

https://www.aclu.org/news/immigrants-rights/they-were-willing-to-make-the-ultimate-sacrifice-for-the-u-s-but-trump-wont-let-them-become-americans

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

"But that's not — it's not like somebody walks over," Jean-Pierre responded. She later said "It is not that simple. It’s not just that people are walking across the border."

And that is how out of touch with reality the White House is.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-yet-visit-besieged-southern-border-white-house-caught-migrant-controversy

Tell us the one about your ancestors entering the US via  Ellis Island but not being immigrants again.

I really enjoyed that one.

Edited by Chomper Higgot