Thailand reports first case of Omicron BA.2.75 sub-variant

snoop1130

โคโรนาไวรัส.jpg

The Centre for Medical Genomics at Ramathibodi Hospital has reported the country’s first case of the COVID-19 Omicron BA.2.75 sub-variant infection, in the southern province of Trang.

The case was found among several specimens collected for the Department of Medical Sciences on June 28th. The department conducted genetic sequencing and uploaded the findings to the GISAID database on July 18th. It was identified as the BA.2.75 sub-variant.

This sub-variant was first detected in India in early June and has spread to several other countries including the United States. Scientists had decoded the matching genetic makeup in 338 cases by yesterday (Tuesday).

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-reports-first-omicron-ba-2-75-sub-variant-case/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

First I have heard of this new sub variant.  Interesting in the fact that no one really knows what sub variant of Omicron they may have been infected with already here in Thailand.  Seems that it may burn itself out if left to its own as it seemed to do in India

"According to the centre, the BA.2.75 sub-variant can evade immunity more effectively than other sub-variants and become resistant to vaccines, which were developed from the Wuhan strain of the virus. It is suggested that any synthetic antibody medication to be administered to patients must be tailored to match with their virus strain of infection.

It was observed that the BA.2.75 sub-variant, which spread rapidly in India, has now subsided, probably because many people in the country, who had been infected by the BA.2 sub-variant, may have developed some immunity."

• Like 2

I must admit I have given up trying to keep up with Covid, I was working at it up to about 5-6 months ago, but with the declaration Omicron was going to put paid to the epidemic started to relax a bit. Had my booster and decided that will be it....

Still a little more enthusiastic with masks than many but I don't regard them as a foreshadow of fascism. I like the reduced incidence I now have of colds and flu too.....

A little surprised to hear the concern all these new BA variants generate, when on the other side I get told they very very rarely causes serious symptoms....(unlike the Apha, Beta and Delta ones that did). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil1975 said:

When will these morons realize that there will be multiple new variants every year from now until the end of time ? 

Never. And, why do you consider them morons?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil1975 said:

When will these morons realize that there will be multiple new variants every year from now until the end of time ? 

Troll post.  Should be removed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Here we go again! So how many people are in hospital or dying FROM this variant as opposed to WITH it? What is the average age of those seriously ill? How many co-morbidities?

It matters to you so much to believe it only affects the older people who have comorbidities.  You people amaze me.

https://science.thewire.in/the-sciences/ba-2-75-sub-variant-new-covid-19-wave/

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, phukettrader said:

So, read the article you linked and could not find any reference to hospitalization or deaths. The doctors THINK it might be more infectious but serious but no data is given other than numbers of cases, which is meaningless.

The world has got to move on now and accept that new variants will constantly appear forever more. As it stands now, including these new variants, for the overwhelming majority of people this is nothing more than a bad cold.

You can live in fear forever if you want, but the vast majority of people just want to get on with their lives and return to the old normal. 

what should be of concern are the number of excess deaths NOT from Covid (1200 in the UK last week alone according to ONS data) caused by the health service being effectively closed for all non-Covid cases for nearly 2 years resulting in cancelled treatments for serious illnesses and other illnesses being undiagnosed because doctors refused to see the patients. 

Your issue is you believe everyone including myself is fearful, we are not. Information overload seems to be your issue, not mine.  I like seeing the updated Information. If it's too much for you then stop looking at it or making negative comments.  Yes we need to move on, but Covid variants are a concern still, not out of the woods yet my friend.  In fact the BMA just opened up two field hospitals to treat those with symptoms not requiring a hospital stay to reduce the numbers starting to build up on the covid treatment units.  Just left a big hospital here in BKK and they were unloading new covid patients from a few ambulances onto the special acceptance area, all were PPE suited. Nice to see care is still being taken unlike elsewhere in the world.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Never. And, why do you consider them morons?

Because they give the impression that they want this virus to keep going which then makes certain people much richer. Think about it.

43 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your issue is you believe everyone including myself is fearful, we are not. Information overload seems to be your issue, not mine.  I like seeing the updated Information. If it's too much for you then stop looking at it or making negative comments.  Yes we need to move on, but Covid variants are a concern still, not out of the woods yet my friend.  In fact the BMA just opened up two field hospitals to treat those with symptoms not requiring a hospital stay to reduce the numbers starting to build up on the covid treatment units.  Just left a big hospital here in BKK and they were unloading new covid patients from a few ambulances onto the special acceptance area, all were PPE suited. Nice to see care is still being taken unlike elsewhere in the world.  

It seems to me that you are the one suffering from information overload, believing everything you hear and read from MSM. All I am trying to do is to present an alternative view based on information which is never reported/censored from MSM as it contradicts the narrative that we are all told to believe.

I believe in free speech and freedom to have a different opinion. This seems now to be increasingly hated and censored by the leftist/globalist establishment.

I am not a conspiracy theorist or anti-vax, or anti anything if it stands up to scrutiny, but I choose to form my own opinions by doing my own research rather than believing what I am told to believe.

You do and believe what you want, but please respect others that do not agree with you. It’s called a debate. There are not necessarily winners or losers.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, phukettrader said:

It seems to me that you are the one suffering from information overload, believing everything you hear and read from MSM. All I am trying to do is to present an alternative view based on information which is never reported/censored from MSM as it contradicts the narrative that we are all told to believe.

I believe in free speech and freedom to have a different opinion. This seems now to be increasingly hated and censored by the leftist/globalist establishment.

I am not a conspiracy theorist or anti-vax, or anti anything if it stands up to scrutiny, but I choose to form my own opinions by doing my own research rather than believing what I am told to believe.

You do and believe what you want, but please respect others that do not agree with you. It’s called a debate. There are not necessarily winners or losers.

Where have I disrespected you or anyone else in our discussions herein. I think your reading into the post way to much.  Nobody has said anything about winning or loosing except for you.  You do like to try and scrutinize everything which is good, but at the same time do not try and twist what I have said, just for your own edification.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Phil1975 said:

Not talking about scientists, I am talking about people who are still scared by MSM scaremongering about the inevitable and obvious 

Informing people about the facts is not scaremongering. But then I guess you’re not interested in facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Then let others do similar.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Because they give the impression that they want this virus to keep going which then makes certain people much richer. Think about it.

Yep, I have been thinking about it. However, I find it even more wrong to call people that are making money for morons. They are usually quite clever.

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

From the various medical sources I've been reading, the latest BA.4/BA.5 and BA2.75 variants seem to have several elements in common:

--they are more transmissible (easier to spread) than the prior versions, meaning more infections.

--they are more able to overcome immunity from prior COVID vaccinations as well as prior COVID infections from other variants.

Thus....

Reinfection period from COVID-19 may be as short as 28 days: Australia’s health officials

--Health officials in Australia recommend shortening the reinfection period from 12 weeks to 28 days.

--Australia is experiencing a wave of BA.4 and BA.5 omicron cases.

--These subvariants are expected to lead to a rise in cases in the U.S. and potentially another wave.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/3559124-reinfection-period-from-covid-19-may-be-as-short-as-28-days-say-australias-health-officials/

• Like 2