Mushrooming

Bobtheblob

Hi guys, 

OK we have a local wood here, some ampher owned some private owned, but all 3 of the local villages uses the land to forage. 

Soo every year this time of the year local rice farmers forrage in the wood for mushrooms it supplements their income. 

For the last 2 years there has been soo many ppl from other provinces coming mushrooming too, maybe upto 20 pickups a day carrying say 10 ppl per pickup. 

So it's got to the situation the locals have put a 24 hour guard on the wood. 

My question is should the locals be allowed to do this or should the wood be open to all to take what they want? 

Ahh, the joys of peacefully meandering through wooded areas and paddocks and the sheer joy of discovering this delectable fungi ... It appears my mushroom foraging days are passed. Many gold tops enjoyed as a young hippie soul-surfer ????????

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Thanks 2

I went with some of my Thai family, 2 mornings ago. We went much farther than usual along our local mountain, maybe 30 km from our village. 

Into the jungle and up the slopes, Thais shouting out who and where they were to each other echoing through the jungle as we went.

Maybe 20 - 30 people within hearing distance, most not from our village, word was out, locally say in a 50 km or so radius that lots of mushrooms were here this year, so people are starting to come from all over, soon there won't be any left and people will stop coming. Next season all the mushrooms may be out on part of the mountain nearer to us, or in several places, who knows...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

OK we have a local wood here, some ampher owned some private owned, but all 3 of the local villages uses the land to forage. 

Soo every year this time of the year local rice farmers forrage in the wood for mushrooms it supplements their income. 

For the last 2 years there has been soo many ppl from other provinces coming mushrooming too, maybe upto 20 pickups a day carrying say 10 ppl per pickup. 

So it's got to the situation the locals have put a 24 hour guard on the wood. 

My question is should the locals be allowed to do this or should the wood be open to all to take what they want? 

Seems like another case of a farang trying to impose his views on the locals.  They don't want your values.

If you are saying that the locals go mushrooming to supplement their income, why would they want strangers stripping their woods of valuable resources?

I suggest that you stay completely out of this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ahh, the joys of peacefully meandering through wooded areas and paddocks and the sheer joy of discovering this delectable fungi ... It appears my mushroom foraging days are passed. Many gold tops enjoyed as a young hippie soul-surfer ????????

I won't bother to tell my story, as it has already been told by the other posters.  I will only say that it is in France and all about cepes.  It must be the same in lots of countries.

7 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The question you need to ask: are the outsiders foraging to feed themselves or to sell them.

If they are selling them then the locals are right in stopping them.

It’s pretty obvious they are not feeding themselves if they come with overloaded pickups. So start a local militia soon they stop coming.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Seems like another case of a farang trying to impose his views on the locals.  They don't want your values.

If you are saying that the locals go mushrooming to supplement their income, why would they want strangers stripping their woods of valuable resources?

Maybe you should read the facts right and stay out of if. The locals have a right to protect their area how would you like people coming on your land to pick your fruits or vegetables or whatever shirt if that happen on mine they’ll be looking at the end of a double barrel

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Didn't an old couple get sentenced to some ridiculously long jail sentence for foraging mushrooms on government land?

No, they were members of an illegal logging gang and just claimed to picking mushrooms with with axes, machetes and chainsaws but they were released after a comparatively brief incarceration.

11 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

Maybe you should read the facts right and stay out of if. The locals have a right to protect their area how would you like people coming on your land to pick your fruits or vegetables or whatever

Maybe you "should get the facts right and stay out of it" , the land the OP referred to is not all private land.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Didn't an old couple get sentenced to some ridiculously long jail sentence for foraging mushrooms on government land?

Not sure I would want to risk it.

No, they were illegally logging , cutting trees down and when they got caught, they make an excuse and claimed they were just picking mushrooms and that is was someone else who cut the trees down 

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Although this is nothing to do with whether the person is a felang or  Thai , this about bout rights to mushroom picking .

The O.P is also asking how the local Thais should proceed and he's not trying to impose his views on locals , (although he would have every right to do that . )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobtheblob said:

Also I would like to add, I am some what concerned about the ppl that are used to guard the wood. These are 70 year old pluss women mostly I think it could be quite dangerous for them especially at night. 

So why don't you volunteer to protect them?