Driving Bangkok to Chiang Mai, and return

tkramer

Next month we will be driving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We will be spending 2-3 weeks in Chiang Mai, and then returning back to Bangkok.

We drove it once before and it was a bit much. We are looking for a simple, clean, inexpensive accommodation/hotel/guest house, etc. to take an overnight break at, where our vehicle will be reasonably safe.

Ideally a location at about 2/3rd's of the way up, to arrive safe and refreshed in Chiang Mai...and then a different location on the return trip about 2/3rd's the way back to Bangkok. 

I'm sure there are some that have blazed this trail before, and can offer some sound advice. I'm all ears.

Much appreciated...

Phitsanulok or Uttaradit would probably be suitable for rest stops. Plenty of hotels in both. The only criteria I have is clean, big bed, and working aircon at 500 - 700 baht per night. I always ask to see the room first.

For breakfast, I head to the biggest hotels, where they will usually have a buffet for walkins.

I tried the 2/3 method from BKK to CM a few years ago.  Unfortunately due to my exact starting point and traffic conditions, I was on the road for 6 hours and only traveled the first 120km.  Nearing midnight and exhausted, I found a hotel near the big Lotus at Ang Thong.  Upon arrival (with gf in the car), the gate attendant asked it i wanted the hourly rate or overnight.  Overnight, of course.  They directed me to a room and pulled the curtain shut after i parked in front of the room door.  

Jokes aside about short-times, these inexpensive curtain motels might offer you sufficient feeling of security for your car.   24- hour front gate attendant and parking a few meters + 1 wall between the car and your bed.

• Haha 2

I do that journey from Chantaburi 230K south of BKK - non stop one way and one stop the other. Start early of course.

Nakhon Sawan makes an easy stop and you'd be 2/3 done on the way back. Hotels - P A Thani is easy to find and has a large clean room, bed and bathroom including breakfast at THB 608. Paradiso JK Design very good at THB 1,300, (once met Carabao there!)

Good luck. Enjoy.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1

We stop at one of 2 places....

1- Kaphaeng Phet....There are rooms right on the river with places to eat within walking distance.....

2- There is a turn off for The Kings Dam....Once taken, a left turn will take you to a cute little town (not sure I ever knew the name)... There's nice, small, clean hotels there & it's a nice quiet stop....Food is more local....Bicycles available to pedal around.....

2A- We usually drive up to see/walk the dam & walk the park below the dam with the 30ft high bicycle.... There's a lodge/hotel (with dining), right there in the park....We haven't stayed there but it looks nice....With short trails, bridges, and vistas....

There are also boat excursions available - unsure on schedule/timing.....

It's always an enjoyable, relaxing stop/mini side trip...

Edited by pgrahmm

Been up and down numerous times over the years, including Songkhla-CM in one 20-hour hit. Never had an issue when looking for a place to crash, some really good deals on the highways, albeit would typically bypass Bkk on the 340 through Suphanburi and Chainat (great road) and stop somewhere around there. Can also vouch for the Sukhothai/Si Satchanalai option mentioned above, especially if you've never been... the latter is stunning and has few tourists. Can then head right up and catch highway 11.

• Like 1

Tak is right on the hwy from bkk - Cm

many hotels there as it is a great stopover 2/3 the way as you requested...

Silayok Grand is popular

Suansin

Mag mai is a couple of km off the main road and clean funky cabins - nice atmosphere. 

• Like 1

Dozens of times non stop and dozens of times with a stop. With a stop outbound definitely in Nakhon Sawan. Plenty of reasonable hotels. Inbound take Tak and have a meal over the bridge on the other side of the river.. Both places I think "almost there, enjoy and rest a bit". Have a good trip.

We do this drive regularly and use Soda Resort, Kamphaeng Phet as our overnight resting spot most times.  Well run clean and spacious rooms and nice and quiet so a good sleep and was 450 THB for room per night including breakfast.  Mostly Thais staying there and gardens kept immaculate.