Nearly one in three Americans say it may soon be necessary to take up arms against the government

onthedarkside

12 hours ago, baboon said:

A genuine question to American posters: If any state(s) decided they had had enough of the Union, could they secede from the United States? Realistically, that is?

Keep an eye on Idaho, there has been secession buzz out of there for decades.  Also there is an idea floating about for the State of Idaho to expand into a neighboring blue state, or two. 

I have the impression they (whatever part of the Federal gov't handles this sort of thing) had not even been thinking about a such happening in modern times, not until 1/6.  Now of course I would expect these matters are getting attention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Not entirely correct. A state CAN secede if a majority of the remaining states agree. Will that ever happen? I highly doubt it.

The supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, there would need to be an amendment to the constitution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Credo said:

Home Owners Association -- a group that controls everything you can do with your home.  They decide what color you can paint it, they decide if you can add on to your home.  They decide anything and everything having to do with your home.  They decide how many pets you can have, how big your dog can be (my area is no bigger than 25 pounds), etc.

They are a group of Karens on steroids.

And you pay them for those privileges. 

14 hours ago, baboon said:

A genuine question to American posters: If any state(s) decided they had had enough of the Union, could they secede from the United States? Realistically, that is?

some states tried it in the past and were coerced back into the union.  Seceeding unilaterally is not allowed.  It is now a federation of states rather than a confederation.

Furthermore, while each state has its own national guard with the same weaponry as national forces theoretically to defend itself including against the Federal government the national guards are now integrated into the federal military command structure and governors would find it very difficult to direct their forces independently.

• Like 2