Thawing UK Frozen Pensions

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

"Best never tell them anything"

If your never going to visit the UK again---possibly that may be your best option--a lot of people still have parents etc there that pass. Also you have to have a current passport to live in Thailand--(I think) that the UK is behind is some aspects-- these things are linked in other countries, at the moment they dont seem to be in the UK.

"But they will want an address in the Philippines to send these life certs to."

Yer getting a Postal  address--that would be real difficult...................:w00t:

Easier to get a postal address in the UK surely, then no life certs at all. If you are going to lie go the easy route. 

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I even go so far as to keep a London landline number through Skype ($90/year), so they can call me in the UK, and I can call them from the UK.

This is overkill, I mentioned this before, you can have a UK mobile number and receive calls and texts, plus use Skype to call UK which shows your UK mobile number, free

• Like 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Easier to get a postal address in the UK surely, then no life certs at all. If you are going to lie go the easy route. 

And in the future -- If it goes the way of other countries--and you wander along to get your new passport at the embassy, what do you tell them, as your not suppose to travel when your passport is near expiry ?.... or maybe you would like to get it sent over from this address in the UK---you know going the easy route---and you will tell IM Office -what about your blank passport with no entry details.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I fly back to the UK and get my passport in person from their London office, the whole process takes 2-3hrs. Its only once every 10 years. 

How do you do that with the present 11week waiting time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alidiver said:

I'd never heard of Life Certificate so googled it.

Below is from www.uk.govimage.thumb.png.68fdb41e42c8161157fbda54407b4541.png

As a non Brit but E.U. citizen i get it year by year here in Thailand to let fill in or my pension could be stopped ....but it is also never frozen in 14 year and received the normal augmentation at mostly 2% a year ...only latest we got it 4 times 2% (8%) because of E.U. higher living costs ....no work arounds needed as all official my gov knows i live Thailand ....no dicrimination ....and no lies needed...

Nice gov. You Brits have ...????????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I fly back to the UK and get my passport in person from their London office, the whole process takes 2-3hrs. Its only once every 10 years. 

If the nervous type just tell them you lost it, cut corner off old one and hand it in to Immigration to transfer stamps to new. Any problem bung them a thousand over the misunderstanding it was ever 'lost'

Edited by proton

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yer--thats a lot better then having a week in the Philippines--especially coming from the guy who wrote how much he liked the Philippines a few months back.

Just 2 things--I dont know your situation, but many people have no where to stay when they go to the UK--2 hours get a passport--that sounds wonderful. Some people have to wait at lest week. & as I have said--Its my projection BritMan but I do expect the UK to come to speed on Linking Passports to overseas travel. As any Australian will tell you--its even linked to our NHS--(Medicare in Oz) and after your 2 hour stop over you will have to leave the country again--so if it does change what you are saying will be a waste of time /money etc.

2nd option I suppose would be --that we all tell them that we live in Thailand and keep the pension at that level for the next 20 years.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No waiting time for in person bookings. 

Last time I looked they were not taking bookings on the day, will not last for ever though

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

Says book an appointment online (at least 2 days earlier), then get your passport in person in 30 minutes. Quicker than when I last did mine, 5 years back.

What it says is "The earliest you can get an appointment is 2 days from when you apply."  It does NOT say how long the waiting list/time is to get the appointment and when you try you get this;

Passport.jpg.be75572ee8c51373befe06e7462283ca.jpg

5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

What it says is "The earliest you can get an appointment is 2 days from when you apply."  It does NOT say how long the waiting list/time is to get the appointment and when you try you get this;

Passport.jpg.be75572ee8c51373befe06e7462283ca.jpg

Works for me .......... I'd suggest using a VPN.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, DezLez said:

How is that "working for you"?

They are telling you that you cannot apply at the moment and have been doing so for some time.

My English comprehension skills let me understand, I am waiting in an online queue, and just need to wait until my computer screen proceeds to the next step. It even tells me my online queue ID.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My English comprehension skills let me understand, I am waiting in an online queue, and just need to wait until my computer screen proceeds to the next step. It even tells me my online queue ID.

Enjoy your wait online!

I hope it is quicker than these poor souls;

2095782224_passport3.jpg.f6291f82e9c89049fe3fe6bb5a411d7b.jpg

Desperate: Holidaymakers descended on HM Passport Office in Victoria, London, last week. Over half a million Britons are still waiting for their passport application to be processed

• Sad 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Says book an appointment online (at least 2 days earlier), then get your passport in person in 30 minutes.

OK-- I try to look at options, Maybe racing back to the UK for a 2 hour visit is the way to go--but it still doesn't solve "Some" peoples problem about saying they reside in the UK when they dont.

The UK is coming from a situation where people could just travel to different countries in the EU with minimum problems. Finishing soon with Brexit-- more checking etc -note the problem with the France crossing on the news, not enough people for checking -so we are told.

In Oz the frozen pension situation was just the same as the UK-- then with the passports linked to other Gov dep came in with hardly any news. Then came a few prosecutions and claw back of money--then expanded to cover their NHS (Medicare) and all political parties didn't seem to want to know.

So a 2 hour stop over in Oz to grab a passport would be of no use--and I feel that will fast become the situation in the UK.

It was an eye opener dealing with Newcastle last week-- after establishing that the widow would get nothing at all, I just said, supposing he lived in the Philippines what would be the situation with the bereavement payment--she said it doesn't matter about her nationality-- he is the pension receiver, send us his Birth/Death/marriage cert... NI number her bank account number her ID -usually takes 14-21 days.  150K + is a lot of money to her.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

In Oz the frozen pension situation was just the same as the UK-- then with the passports linked to other Gov dep came in with hardly any news. Then came a few prosecutions and claw back of money--then expanded to cover their NHS (Medicare) and all political parties didn't seem to want to know.

So a 2 hour stop over in Oz to grab a passport would be of no use--and I feel that will fast become the situation in the UK.

Yes, I agree, Oz has gone from the freest and most open country in the western world to the most tyrannical in the last 15 years. But I don't expect the rest of the west to follow it down that rabbit hole.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

OK-- I try to look at options, Maybe racing back to the UK for a 2 hour visit is the way to go--but it still doesn't solve "Some" peoples problem about saying they reside in the UK when they dont.

The UK is coming from a situation where people could just travel to different countries in the EU with minimum problems. Finishing soon with Brexit-- more checking etc -note the problem with the France crossing on the news, not enough people for checking -so we are told.

It was an eye opener dealing with Newcastle last week-- after establishing that the widow would get nothing at all, I just said, supposing he lived in the Philippines what would be the situation with the bereavement payment--she said it doesn't matter about her nationality-- he is the pension receiver, send us his Birth/Death/marriage cert... NI number her bank account number her ID -usually takes 14-21 days.  150K + is a lot of money to her.   

A widow has to be domiciled in the UK to claim Bereavement Payments.

3 minutes ago, peterrabbit said:

I have been told (by someone who has done it) that if you own a UK house (even if it's rented out and you are not residing there) which you are paying tax on then the pension freeze is NOT applicable.

It's something you need to check out with the relevant UK authorities.

The pension freeze is applicable if you reside (more than 6 months)  in one of the countries where there is no reciprocal tax agreement ie Thailand.

Doesn't matter what you own in the UK.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, peterrabbit said:

which you are paying tax on

And did your "friend" say what "tax" it is that they are paying for that gives them this non existing UK pension/tax dispensation?

A tax residence is any place where you are legally required to pay taxes. The two can be connected, but they are separate things. Having a residence permit in a country doesn't automatically mean that you are a tax resident there as well. And it doesn't matter if your second residence is temporary or permanent.

Edited by DezLez

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

A widow has to be domiciled in the UK to claim Bereavement Payments.

Your not reading the post are you hotandsticky...I even gave everyone the government department link so they would know --your the only one not to read it.

Must say something.............:omfg:

Other countries with UK benefits arrangements

Bereavement benefits

You may be able to make a new claim if you live in certain countries outside the UK.

The following countries have social security agreements with the UK:

• Like 1

I worked at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before retiring and he has been caught out lying once and you think they are going to trust him? 

(it will be on his file, I assure you)

It is so easy for DWP to establish these facts and they do regularly check, ie names and addresses are cross-matched with local taxation rolls and names not paying are investigated. Other options to check are also available.

They will check more thoroughly this time and he will be caught a 2nd time, with worse ramifications.

You realise the generalised statement from the DWP Revenue would be ....Court or a voluntary fine up to 10 times the amount being cheated!

The only way around this in general, are through reciprocal agreement countries.

Up to you!

Edited by Pdavies99

9 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

They will check more thoroughly this time and he will be caught a 2nd time, with worse ramifications.

You realise the generalised statement from the DWP Revenue would be ....Court or a voluntary fine up to 10 times the amount being cheated!

Which poster/post/"crime" are you referring to?

27 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

I worked at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before retiring and he has been caught out lying once and you think they are going to trust him? 

(it will be on his file, I assure you)

It is so easy for DWP to establish these facts and they do regularly check, ie names and addresses are cross-matched with local taxation rolls and names not paying are investigated. Other options to check are also available.

The only way around this in general, are through reciprocal agreement countries.

Up to you!

This sounds like UC   maybe PC  or even sickness      certainly not SP,   cannot be as regulations state so

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

U.S. Social Security top end will be almost 4 times a lousy UK pension.

Ever ask your government what they have done with all the money?

What a horrific terrible disgrace.

Problem is too many spongers in the UK, most people should have private pensions anyway