[TR60] Embassy in Kuala Lumpur wants me to pay my entire stay up front

For clarification; I have an EU passport. Next week I'm traveling through Malaysia and after that I want to go to Thailand somewhere until November. TR60+30 would fit perfectly. I made an appointment with Thai Embassy in KL (this Friday) and got the PDF with the checklist. There is a section about paying your whole stay up front:

"Proof of payment for accommodation for the whole period of stay in Thailand (the receipt must state the tax payer number of the relevant hotel/accommodation)"

With my TR60 last year I didn't need that so I'm surprised. Of course I'm not planning on staying in the same place all the time, I'm mostly wingin' it. Is this requirement very strictly enforced in the KL embassy? I have my first 2 hotels booked and paid through Booking-com (only the first 3 nights, there's probably no tax info on those emails...), but after that I want to go to a room that has monthly rates and I want to pay that in cash after inspecting the room first (I'm checking out several options, I don't want to rush into it). There's no way to explain such a thing to them, they want everything in writing.

How did you guys fix this? Just play their silly game and get something I cancel as soon as I get my visa? (What's the use of all that...) Should I be worried? Should I try to get some kind of statement from a Thai I know that I'm staying at their place as a backup?

Does anyone have recently dealt with the KL embassy and did you get everything fixed? However gladly I would want to start an adventure; going in with the VOA and doing a border run would be a lot more expensive and doesn't really fit in my budget comfortably. Maybe some other time when I'm filthy rich... Asking an agency has the same budgetary downside, but if they don't give me the visa, I might be forced to (or do a run to Vientiane?).

KLEmb01.jpg

The previous being said. If your friend writes you a letter of invitation to visit with the relevant information that should work. Will need letter, Copy of national ID card, and copy of Tabien Bahn (of your friend). Much more complicated than run. You also do not want a denial of Visa record floating around, so if you know that you do not meet the qualifications it would not be recommended to even file for the Visa. Could look like gaming the system.

• Confused 4

12 hours ago, Bobbie Davies said:

I would strongly recommend that you not say one place then cancel and go somewhere else.

Not one traveler has ever booked all that stuff up front right? How would they even find out about me cancelling and going to other places?

I'm trying to use the search for this issue, but I'm not really getting some good info on the KL embassy. Guess I'm going to be one of the first to try this...

• Like 2

I don't know. If I follow the rules strictly I'm supposed to get them a proof of payment for 90 days... I'm slowly starting to think I should go for the cancelling option or to ask my friend to come up with those invitation docs... If I knew this was such a pain in the ass I probably would have planned for a scheme doing the VOA and a border run.

You think Thailand is tough, try getting A Thai citizen into the US when marriage is the goal. He is older like I am. I don’t have high income (on pension) either but am lucky in owning my home in United States and being able to buy him his home in Thailand. And yes I always have a place to go in Thailand so declare it when I enter Thailand. And rules are different from United States.

All I was trying to say is that I do really think they mean it and residual Covid protocols would explain why different from last year. And I did book all that stuff when required during Covid when I had to get my fiancé out of Phuket just before lockdown. And I had a friend who had his Visa revoked for not following the rules about being where he said he was. The VOA is how they would prefer you go. You can see that on first page on Embassy site. Number 1 check if you need Visa to enter. I really do sincerely hope you can work it out.  And they really are being snarky about backpackers.

PNG TR US.png

• Thanks 1

Penang website is broken. The list of things to bring has a broken link. Is this link broken for everyone or just me:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/filemanager/บริการสำหรับคนไทย/Visa Application Form.pdf

I can however get to this form:

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/3fsjzRYZ2e/Online_Visa_Application_Form.pdf

But that doesn't have the list of paperwork I am supposed to bring...

7 minutes ago, LexMichdasean said:

Penang website is broken. The list of things to bring has a broken link. Is this link broken for everyone or just me:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/filemanager/บริการสำหรับคนไทย/Visa Application Form.pdf

It work after you get past the Kings birthday announcement You have to click the first one the left.

image.png.636b6e9f6e5140d5a4f9809dc406286a.png

The site is only in Thai and if get to the visa page there is no useful info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a TR in KL in May (Aussie Passport).  They seem to be strict but my lady was quiet helpful and pleasant.

They run through your documents before giving you the form to fill out - so you not likely to be rejected.  I had a receipt for first 2 weeks in Pattaya and only a deposit receipt for 2 months at Samui - was no problem but maybe she didn't read it properly? 

You must have your name clearly showing on the receipt. 

They also wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand.

Wait time was 2 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It work after you get past the Kings birthday announcement You have to click the first one the left.

image.png.636b6e9f6e5140d5a4f9809dc406286a.png

The site is only in Thai and if get to the visa page there is no useful info.

That's a little unfortunate... Maybe I should contact them on what I should bring? If I could only get a hold of that .pdf they're referring to...

5 minutes ago, aussiee said:

I got a TR in KL in May (Aussie Passport).  They seem to be strict but my lady was quiet helpful and pleasant.

They run through your documents before giving you the form to fill out - so you not likely to be rejected.  I had a receipt for first 2 weeks in Pattaya and only a deposit receipt for 2 months at Samui - was no problem but maybe she didn't read it properly? 

You must have your name clearly showing on the receipt. 

They also wanted to see my ticket out of Thailand.

Wait time was 2 days.

I already canceled my appointment, but good to know for fellow searchers, thanks.

Make sure Penang can issue what you need. Many Consulates allaround the world got their wings clipped.

Otherwise... the rules hardly got ever enforced. If you get a confirmation of your stay but stay elsewhere, so far nobody bothered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

Make sure Penang can issue what you need. Many Consulates allaround the world got their wings clipped.

Penang is a official Thai consulate. Only honorary consulates have closed.

• Like 2

Who would want to visit and pay for 3 months accommodation up front or deceive authorities through the kluges mentioned?  Half the fun is in winging it on a long vacation.

No other ASEAN country has such absurd requirements, just go elsewhere and you'll be welcomed.

• Like 2

Geisha, quite correct on the usage of VOA, and yes it is visa exempt status. And yes’s 30 days 2 extensions then run. Beyond that not rubbish. If you don’t meet qualifications at any embassy you go to, you don’t get visa. You don’t want to be caught gaming the system. Yes people get away with it for long time, but I personally don’t want to deal with the hassles when luck runs out. And standing your ground to a principal is not a successful strategy in Thailand, and Baht doesn’t mean much when Face is involved. You’ll notice, I said do whatever you want. Central thesis was that yes at the KL Embassy they mean it.

• Confused 1

Went to the Thai Consulate this morning (Monday), got there 9.00am, a few people in front of me. Had everything printed already:

Application form filled in, 2 photos, passport copy, bank statement for the past month, copy of confirmation of the first booked hotel, flight into Thailand, flight out of Thailand and my actual passport. And 160RM of course.

Went very smooth, no further questions were asked, except for the hotel I was staying at right now. I only filled out the permanent address and they want to know your current hotel also. The clerk fixed that mistake for me at the spot.

I now have a note saying to pick up my passport Wednesday 2pm, so fingers crossed there's a shiny new visa inside when I get there.

They sent a girl wearing shorts that were too short away, so keep an eye on your clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dastott said:

Was this in KL or Penang you got the visa?

Sorry, this was at the Thai Consulate in Georgetown, Penang. Can't edit it anymore unfortunately. Don't understand why that restriction would benefit the users, but whatever.

Edited by LexMichdasean
  • Thanks 1