Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's an interesting topic,

Do something legal in one country, then get arrested when you enter a country where it's not allowed.

Presumably Malaysians with more than one wife will be arrested and detained for bigamy the moment they enter Thailand. Not to mention the guys that married 12 year old women.

The bench mark was set at 9 years old by one of their most revered if I remember correctly

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't really get the points of those who are anti cannabis. I mean nobody who is pro cannabis is for giving it to kids. Sure it can happen but its not as if kids could not get it before. I could get cannabis before and I am a foreigner. So to think that Thais could not get it its crazy. If anything, I pay more now than before (for better quality).

Rules should have been made for driving and cannabis and rules should have been made for not selling to kids. But that seems so normal for me that those kind of rules are in place that I normally don't even mention it as some control is needed. But they messed up but that is not a good reason to be against cannabis, that is having a problem with the implementation.

Lot of old timers who love drinking are dead set against cannabis you see it a lot on this forum. No not everyone who is against it is like that but quite a few still think alcohol (the more dangerous of the two backed up by science) is ok while cannabis is like some huge danger. Its time for people to really learn and see that cannabis is milder and better. 

Time to change the mindset of people and no cannabis is not without dangers but far less then alcohol. Best is not doing anything. But there just should be choice for people.

But But cannabis is drugs ... and alcohol?  ah well that's only drink isn't it  lol

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It's an extremely grey area.  Had they been caught carrying marijuana in to Malaysia, or smoking it in Malaysia then yes, they would have broken Malaysian law quite clearly and could have no arguments with their punishment.

But they smoked in Thailand where it is legal.  And who knows how long ago?  It could have been 2-3 weeks ago.  But urine testing arrivals in the hope of detecting residue of something that is entirely legal where that person lives but traces can stay in the body for maybe 30 days is insane and inhumane.  How can you honestly say someone enjoying a spliff here then maybe going to Malaysia 2-3 weeks later was breaking Malaysian law?  Search for drugs on arrival, no problem with that.

I am still astounded people are so hard headed on this

Is it a grey area? were the authorities in Malaysia doing there jobs? There is no grey area in law it is black and white.  Now were they overreaching in the detainment, well we do not have the whole story now do we, but were they found with cannabis metabolites in their systems? Yes they were, how much has not been disclosed.  Did the detained parties Smoke a joint just on the other side of the entry location in view of the Malaysian folks? well we do not know that.  They must have done something that aroused the suspicion of the Malaysian folks, I mean why else? as they are not testing every person crossing at the border.  Did they profile them, well possibly, but then that is Malaysia's right now isn't it.  I am far from anti-cannabis, but if it is illegal in a location then why flaunt it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is it a grey area? were the authorities in Malaysia doing there jobs? There is no grey area in law it is black and white.  Now were they overreaching in the detainment, well we do not have the whole story now do we, but were they found with cannabis metabolites in their systems? Yes they were, how much has not been disclosed.  Did the detained parties Smoke a joint just on the other side of the entry location in view of the Malaysian folks? well we do not know that.  They must have done something that aroused the suspicion of the Malaysian folks, I mean why else? as they are not testing every person crossing at the border.

From what I have read they are now heavily inspecting cars and urine testing people as standard procedure.  "Malaysian police and military officers at all border checkpoints are now on their toes checking passports, carrying out urine tests and scanning travellers and their vehicles to prevent infiltration of any form of this plant into their country."  (From thainewsroom.com)

So seems no-one was smoking right across from the border and they need not have done anything to have aroused suspicion.

Did they profile them, well possibly, but then that is Malaysia's right now isn't it.  

You think it is Malaysia's right, and technically it is, but I consider it degrading and inhumane to urine test tourist arrivals.  It's also Malaysia's right to allow men to have several wives, it is also their right to throw the main opposition leader (Anwar Ibrahim) in jail for several years on made up sodomy charges, it is their right to imprison people for up to 20 years for consensual gay sex (with capital punishment too).  Oh wait, sorry, parallels and analogies aren't allowed.

I am far from anti-cannabis, but if it is illegal in a location then why flaunt it.

Oh you're stretching it again.  Who was flaunting what??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry you feel that it is degrading and inhumane, but if it is such a bother then do not go there.  Sure it may put some folks off, but then your rights and freedoms are not being violated in such a foreign country.  Your rights based upon your country of status do not transfer with you, and you have none there in a country which has different laws and restrictions for it's people, and travelers.  The human rights you have in your own country do not follow you, even though you may believe they do.  In a country where human rights truly do not exist for many, It is your personal view of the situation that is being violated.  Do you really believe that the rights many people think they have actually follow them the world over just because they come from the west.  Maybe the pervasive attitude of my freedoms, my rights, and I do what I want because of it, is why foreigners end up in jail in a foreign country and can not believe they were arrested for a mundane thing.

You do like to put words in people's mouths don't you.  And you like to make things up (they were "flaunting it", or perhaps "smoking right next to the border crossing", neither of which seems to be the case - they are checking every one).

Our course your rights don't follow you around the world and I am not saying they should, although in an ideal world if would be nice if there were some basic human rights that transferred everywhere (not to be lashed and thrown in jail for 20 years for homosexuality, not to have women have fewer rights then men for example).  Malaysia can impose whatever punishments it likes for crimes committed in Malaysia.  

I see random public urine tests as an infringement of basic rights, an assault on decency and highly demeaning, especially for arriving tourists!  Knock someone off their motorbike and yes, no problem with an alcohol test or drug test - that should be mandatory, but these people might have shared on legal spliff between them three weeks in Thailand where it is perfectly legal.

I'm done.  Your head is hard, you just keep locking it out and saying their country their laws.  And each time I make an argument you just come out with some other concoction like I must therefore believe I can do what I what in any country without consequence.

Over and out.  Enjoy your time in Malaysia, that bastion of law and order.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't agree with this at all, i don't see how you can punish someone who acted within the law in the country that they were in. It is ridiculous... but Thailand did act in a similar way prior to the legalizing (the case of the Dutch guy who was jailed and lost everything in Thailand for legally selling marijuana in the Netherlands springs to mind). Bearing in mind how the Thai justice system treated this Dutch guy will be interesting to see how they respond to the behavior of the Malaysian authorities.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So a girl selling cannabis in a thread about cannabis is off topic? Really?

Are you stalking me and my posts?

In a thread about Thais being arrested in Malaysia for testing positive, yes.  By your very measure.

Certainly not stalking you, just when I saw your reply telling the other guy he was off topic and this thread is about Thais being arrested in Malaysia for testing positive for cannabis and anything else should be a new topic, somehow my mind was triggered that it was YOU who posted that off-topic thing in the first place!

Amazing.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, robblok said:

I would only accept drug tests if alchol tests and liver tests would be done fair is fair. No weed but alcohol is no problem is crazy. Anyway If you work somewhere where you cant use drugs id leave. That is if they are talking about use in free time and the drug is legal in that country. Drugged or drunk on work is never ok. 

Testing positive for an illegal drug, means that one takes mind altering illegal drugs.

Testing positive for alcohol means that someone takes what is considered a legal drug, but does not mean that the individual gets drunk.

But certainly not smart to focus on Marijuana, instead of Cocaine, coke, crack, heroin, crystal meth etc.

Oh well, as mentioned, perhaps the intent is simply to get even....

5 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

it goes to show how toxic marijuana really is. It stays in your body so long, it is one reason it is so addictive.  A smart drug would leave your system in hours not weeks or months.

What kind of logic is this??

Better to do cocaine or heroin because it leaves the body faster? ????????????????

35 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

it goes to show how toxic marijuana really is. It stays in your body so long, it is one reason it is so addictive.  A smart drug would leave your system in hours not weeks or months.

Jeez.

It is nothing to do with toxicity.  THC leaves your bloodstream in no more than 12 hours (so people saying you are still high days later have no idea what they are talking about).  

However THC is fat soluble so some of it binds to fat molecules and is therefore metabolised more slowly as your body does not metabolise fat that quickly.  This doesn't mean you are still high, it doesn't mean it is toxic, it's just the way the body works.

• Like 2

Some off topic deflection posts and replies have been removed.

Some inflammatory posts have been removed.  

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

Standards of Conduct

1. Do not respond to insults with more insults. Instead use the report button to report inflammatory posts.

2. Do not post off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread.

5 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

What kind of logic is this??

Better to do cocaine or heroin because it leaves the body faster? ????????????????

I think in the future scientists will invent a recreational drug with less side effects and leaves the body completely in hours.

When they say that there is marijuana still in your body this increase the addiction potential. If the drugs is completely passed through there will be no reminder of it.

Edited by Don Chance

On 8/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, Don Chance said:

I think in the future scientists will invent a recreational drug with less side effects and leaves the body completely in hours.

When they say that there is marijuana still in your body this increase the addiction potential. If the drugs is completely passed through there will be no reminder of it.

Irrelevant of the future. Length of time in your body doesn't equate to addiction potential.

Cocaine and heroin passes through your body in a few days but are much more addictive 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, Don Chance said:

Marijuana  is not addictive. Its habit forming but so is brushing your  teeth.

When you write:

"When they say that there is marijuana still in your body this increase the addiction potential. If the drugs is completely passed through there will be no reminder of it."

That is non scientific nonsense with no semblance  of truth or reality. It is 100% untrue. Not just innacurate  but untrue, incorrect- wrong.

If you, or anybody else,  would like an insight into a biological and psychological nature of addiction then the introduction to the The Naked Lunch by William  Burroughs is very informative.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Marijuana  is not addictive. Its habit forming but so is brushing your  teeth.

When you write:

"When they say that there is marijuana still in your body this increase the addiction potential. If the drugs is completely passed through there will be no reminder of it."

That is non scientific nonsense with no semblance  of truth or reality. It is 100% untrue. Not just innacurate  but untrue, incorrect- wrong.

If you, or anybody else,  would like an insight into a biological and psychological nature of addiction then the introduction to the The Naked Lunch by William  Burroughs is very informative.

Deluded. Marijuana is highly addictive. That is why people smoke it morning to night, all day every day. They will line up in the morning and wait for the weed shop to open. They can't quit. It is very addictive. It can cost a fortune over the years too.

I used to smoke i should know. It was hard to quit at first. But now i have no desire to smoke it. Once you quit you will realize all the side effect you were having.  Trust me. Quit smoking for 6-12 months and you will never go back.

2 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Deluded. Marijuana is highly addictive. That is why people smoke it morning to night, all day every day. They will line up in the morning and wait for the weed shop to open. They can't quit. It is very addictive. It can cost a fortune over the years too.

I used to smoke i should know. It was hard to quit at first. But now i have no desire to smoke it. Once you quit you will realize all the side effect you were having.  Trust me. Quit smoking for 6-12 months and you will never go back.

YOU SAID IT YOURSELF  LOL

Marijuana is not addictive I know because I used to smoke i should know. It was hard to quit at first. But now i have no desire to smoke it.

Marijuana  can be habit forming for  some people especially the weak minded and troubled but that is  not the same  as addiction. The physical,  biological  trauma caused by real addiction linked to  changes in the brains chemistry are not present with dope smoking.

Valium, Xanax,  nicotine, alcohol,Codiene, smack, opiates in general  can be addictive.  Valium and Zanax have the worst withdrawal  symptoms. You are  the victim  of self  delusion and propaganda.