Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

30 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I get all the cannabis related posts from pot users on this forum but why are so many anti pot people posting. Obviously not your interest, so why waste your time ? As a non drinker, I am not going to be spamming your "its a religous holiday and I cant buy alcohol so I am angry" or "I need a new liver" threads, so why do you <deleted> spam all the cannabis related threads ?  

Who said I was anti cannabis. It has its place, but not everyday recreational use for people who need to work or drive.  Traveling to a country where it is illegal and being detained for either possession or under the influence is what the discussion on the OP is truly about. Yet as a Certified Drug Recognition evaluator and a Mental health professional I have my own opinions on daily consumption just to get high.  I use CBD oil and gummies for pain relief but don't use them everyday. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

David your comparison is wrong because for driving drunk you need to be in a car behind the wheel and being over the limit. So its not about when you consumed alcohol

That THC is detectable in the blood does not mean these people have used it in Malaysia. Most countries punish usage in their own country not in in a third country. IMHO levels should be checked to see when people used and then maybe punish them. But to punish someone to have a trace of an element in their blood is crazy. Now catch them smoking in Malaysia.. great, catch them with cannabis in Malaysia great. 

But just catch them with cannabis in their blood something that can be there for weeks so no way to know where it was used.. not so great.  But me as someone who occasionally uses it would certainly not visit countries like that. Good thing this is in the news it will educate people. 

ROBLOK it is just simpel ....follow the law from the country you go to..

It is because they tested positive in it they got problem..

Different country different rules ....example if i get a checked lugage costoms check at Schiphol a BB gun would become confiscated ....when same at Brussels airport costoms they only check it is not a real gun ...no confiscating .

BUT ONLY WHEN IN LUGGAGE NOT IN CARRY ON  BECAUSE AIRLINE RESTRICTIONS ...

i hope you get my point 

Many different laws in different countrys .

So the weed lovers have now their "Thai Weed Paradise " ...but exporting the habit shall sure not be welcomed in Maleisia ...Cambodia might be an option more favorable for that ????

23 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

you really think its going to make a difference ? ... no one has suddenly said "oh its legal I will start driving stoned" . They either were or were not long before June 9. Same with alcohol, they'll either drive or they wont !

Exactly ! As with drinking driving ... some shall find they are capable of still able to drive good ....same for those drinking ....both when cought in accident or too high level of substance get the follow up on it .

Fact is by Maleisia law they where at least under the influance as detected ....

Good to know I won't be using that border, never did either anyway. The last time I left from Chiang Mai on a domestic flight they swabbed my carry-on bag for that drug machine tester, never happened in my entire life here 10 years long.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Yup - find all those news items about the crazed marijuana user having accidents on the road, going postal on others at bars, beating up their spouse and children, generally causing mayhem.

The only thing they cause is a rise in snack food consumption.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why should I let it go? Did you not read my post well enough?

Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

The above reference not least includes laws and regulations on driving.

Getting someone to buy alcohol for you is a false equivalence when a child can currently buy this directly online, in addition can buy from any stall set up and run by unlicensed 20 year olds who would rather take the money than worry about age.

Experience in any field helps but that does not stop one learning and being educated by credible research which can cover many aspects that a user would not know about, ever heard about online degrees which do just that?

The fact is that its quite clear if you read some of the posts that some users have little knowledge other than their own experience of using which is fine for them but when they post about its not addictive then that to me is very inappropriate.

As for the drinkers opinions, you better ask them, I don't as a rule only special occasions. 

Actually a  child can buy alcohol from just about any "licensed"  shop in Thailand  and in many cases would actually be served by a child ! the only exceptions being  7/11 Big C and Tesco,  that is a fact of life over here

AS far as a child buying cannabis from a store run by "unlicensed 20 year olds" has that ever actually happened ?  I assume you must have a link to confirm this?   And how are you so sure that the "unlicensed 20 year olds" would rather take the money than worry about age?    You cannot be sure ,it is just an assumption (they are selling cannabis so they must be bad people ?)  based purely on your personal dislike of cannabis and its users

And as for buying on line there is a simple way of controlling that, just  making it necessary to pay by credit card would solve that issue  Its not actually that easy even as things stand at the moment, for example having ordered on line, does the child then  remain absent from school,for days , whilst hanging round the front  of the house all day, cash in hand , eagerly awaiting the arrival of the  delivery man  so they can receive and pay for their drugs 

Cannabis users  have their own experiences to draw upon and also the experiences of fellow users , friends, and friends of friends, one consequence of prohibition is the underground network and camaraderie  of similar minded people that are often formed   I must know hundreds of fellow users personally and 1000's indirectly, Due to prohibition supply was not guaranteed and shortages were common  (known as droughts) I never heard of a single person going  "cold Turkey" or suffering any withdrawal symptoms

. So for me, any non user talking about addiction or any other perceived  aspect is worse than inappropriate.

As for rules and regs what part of "prohibited for those under 20 years of age" do people find so difficult to understand

59 minutes ago, david555 said:

Maybe Because many dont like those foggy brains on the road ....????

How many accidents have you seen because of weed.. you can't even see it and it has not been reported. I guess your bias is showing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where does anybody advocate what you say....this OP is on being detained for marijuana, it has nothing g to do with anything else.

I have strayed off topic no further than anybody else today

28 minutes ago, seedy said:

Yup - find all those news items about the crazed marijuana user having accidents on the road, going postal on others at bars, beating up their spouse and children, generally causing mayhem.

The only thing they cause is a rise in snack food consumption.

Where Pot Became Legal, Car Crash Deaths Rose: Study
His team found that after marijuana legalization, the rate of car crashes with injuries increased by nearly 6%, while fatal crashes rose by 4%. No increase in these crashes was seen in states that hadn't legalized marijuana, the researchers noted.

These results are consistent with prior studies

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2022-07-19/where-pot-became-legal-car-crash-deaths-rose-study

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Actually a  child can buy alcohol from just about any "licensed"  shop in Thailand  and in many cases would actually be served by a child ! the only exceptions being  7/11 Big C and Tesco,  that is a fact of life over here

AS far as a child buying cannabis from a store run by "unlicensed 20 year olds" has that ever actually happened ?  I assume you must have a link to confirm this?   And how are you so sure that the "unlicensed 20 year olds" would rather take the money than worry about age?    You cannot be sure ,it is just an assumption (they are selling cannabis so they must be bad people ?)  based purely on your personal dislike of cannabis and its users

And as for buying on line there is a simple way of controlling that, just  making it necessary to pay by credit card would solve that issue  Its not actually that easy even as things stand at the moment, for example having ordered on line, does the child then  remain absent from school,for days , whilst hanging round the front  of the house all day, cash in hand , eagerly awaiting the arrival of the  delivery man  so they can receive and pay for their drugs 

Cannabis users  have their own experiences to draw upon and also the experiences of fellow users , friends, and friends of friends, one consequence of prohibition is the underground network and camaraderie  of similar minded people that are often formed   I must know hundreds of fellow users personally and 1000's indirectly, Due to prohibition supply was not guaranteed and shortages were common  (known as droughts) I never heard of a single person going  "cold Turkey" or suffering any withdrawal symptoms

. So for me, any non user talking about addiction or any other perceived  aspect is worse than inappropriate.

As for rules and regs what part of "prohibited for those under 20 years of age" do people find so difficult to understand

"And as for buying on line there is a simple way of controlling that, just  making it necessary to pay by credit card would solve that issue  Its not actually that easy even as things stand at the moment, for example having ordered on line, does the child then  remain absent from school,for days , whilst hanging round the front  of the house all day, cash in hand , eagerly awaiting the arrival of the  delivery man  so they can receive and pay for their drugs"

How many Thai's have credit cards? Debit yes but so do under 20's. You can get a debit card at 15. 

As it stands all it takes is to make a bank transfer, thats it. No need to take time off school.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

How many accidents have you seen because of weed.. you can't even see it and it has not been reported. I guess your bias is showing. 

I guess your bias is showing

Yours too ????

...nothing wrong with that , and as expected from nationality .

The only problem is just follow the country laws you go visit ...simple .

But excellent your reply before as  it is a good warning when going Maleisia  when a weed lover ????

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you want to go down that road, really.  Marijuana impaired driving statistics can be provided if you want, but then I wont give you the links as it is off-topic once again.  Just do a search through the PDF I have attached to gather some idea of the topic you brought up and which you have little knowledge of when it comes to true impairment behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while UI Cannabis.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/812440-marijuana-impaired-driving-report-to-congress.pdf

Here is a link that I said I would not provide, but to know how posters like to continue to bait others here is one.

https://cannabisoffers.net/marijuana-criminal-statistics/

• About 66% of Americans favor the legalization of marijuana in the US.
  • Law enforcers are more likely to arrest Black Americans than White Americans.
  • Marijuana arrests account for 43% of all drug arrests in the US.
  • The US makes 600,000 marijuana arrests on average every year.
  • Law enforcers arrest approximately two individuals per minute for drug possession.
  • The US spends $3.6 billion on marijuana arrests every year.
  • A marijuana conviction can cost the felon from $2,000 to $20,000 in defense.
Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Next PM Lord Anutin recently stated he will not back flip and with good reason.  So far there have been 3 cases of stupid thais consuming several joints and freaking out probably on top of a bottle or 3 of  laoh kaho

Edited by whereyougo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

David your comparison is wrong because for driving drunk you need to be in a car behind the wheel and being over the limit. So its not about when you consumed alcohol

That THC is detectable in the blood does not mean these people have used it in Malaysia. Most countries punish usage in their own country not in in a third country. IMHO levels should be checked to see when people used and then maybe punish them. But to punish someone to have a trace of an element in their blood is crazy. Now catch them smoking in Malaysia.. great, catch them with cannabis in Malaysia great. 

But just catch them with cannabis in their blood something that can be there for weeks so no way to know where it was used.. not so great.  But me as someone who occasionally uses it would certainly not visit countries like that. Good thing this is in the news it will educate people. 

Uk law has drunk driving and drunk in charge.

For DIC all you need is to be over the limit and have the keys in your pocket with the intent to drive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Uk law has drunk driving and drunk in charge.

For DIC all you need is to be over the limit and have the keys in your pocket with the intent to drive.

California has a similar law on the books it is called Attempted DUI.

https://www.duiblog.com/2022/06/18/understanding-ca-penal-code-21a-attempted-dui/

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"And as for buying on line there is a simple way of controlling that, just  making it necessary to pay by credit card would solve that issue  Its not actually that easy even as things stand at the moment, for example having ordered on line, does the child then  remain absent from school,for days , whilst hanging round the front  of the house all day, cash in hand , eagerly awaiting the arrival of the  delivery man  so they can receive and pay for their drugs"

How many Thai's have credit cards? Debit yes but so do under 20's. You can get a debit card at 15. 

As it stands all it takes is to make a bank transfer, thats it. No need to take time off school.

Plenty of Thais that I know  have credit cards  but not at 15  I did not mention debit cards  I specifically said credit cards.

So all it takes is that they pay by bank transfer? , Pray tell  how do they collect their weed when they are at school?      presumably they put down the school as the delivery address and simply ask to be excused when the courier arrives I don't think so somehow.

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Plenty of Thais that I know  have credit cards  but not at 15  I did not mention debit cards  I specifically said credit cards.

So all it takes is that they pay by bank transfer? , Pray tell  how do they collect their weed when they are at school?      presumably they put down the school as the delivery address and simply ask to be excused when the courier arrives I don't think so somehow.

They collect it from the local school kid drug dealer, like they just had occur in a province here in Thailand which caused a major uproar.  You must not watch the news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

What are you talking about, they can get it delivered the same way they order anything else online, direct to their home same as with a computer game, clothing, toy or present. 

I know you were talking about credit cards that's why I mentioned it makes no difference as they can still get a debit card at 15 ???? whether I'm wrong on plenty of Thai's having credit cards who cares..........but that's not my experience, the ones I know in my 16 years of being here tend to have debit cards.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What are you talking about, they can get it delivered the same way they order anything else online, direct to their home same as with a computer game, clothing, toy or present. 

I know you were talking about credit cards that's why I mentioned it makes no difference as they can still get a debit card at 15 ???? whether I'm wrong on plenty of Thai's having credit cards who cares..........but that's not my experience, the ones I know in my 16 years of being here tend to have debit cards.

Just another example

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30317177

“Through these communications channels, they negotiated on prices and discussed delivery details. After customers transferred money for the illicit drugs, he mailed it to them,”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you want to go down that road, really.  Marijuana impaired driving statistics can be provided if you want, but then I wont give you the links as it is off-topic once again.  Just do a search through the PDF I have attached to gather some idea of the topic you brought up and which you have little knowledge of when it comes to true impairment behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while UI Cannabis.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/812440-marijuana-impaired-driving-report-to-congress.pdf

Here is a link that I said I would not provide, but to know how posters like to continue to bait others here is one.

• Law enforcers arrest approximately two individuals per minute for drug possession.

the article referred to in your 2nd link reads like a perfect indictment of the american legal system  

for example

spending 3.6 billion dollars on cannabis arrests......why?

defense costs of up to 20,000 dollars........why

600,000 arrests every year.....why

No wonder some people want the prohibition status to remain unchanged,  as usual follow the money 

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Eh i meant numbers in Thailand because there are none as of yet and there have not been any cases in the news yet. So its all pure speculation. People act like its a huge thing but it is not. 

I am not advocating getting stoned and driving I am saying its not a major problem yet. If you really want to save lifes ban alcohol. Don't use the save lives excuse when your not willing to ban alcohol. Because otherwise its all a farce.

• Like 1

Just now, Bday Prang said:

the article referred to in your 2nd link reads like a perfect indictment of the american legal system  

for example

spending 3.6 billion dollars on cannabis arrests......why?

defense costs of up to 20,000 dollars........why

600,000 arrests every year.....why

No wonder some people want the prohibition status to remain unchanged,  as usual follow the money 

Follow the money to the growers, and transporters, it may be legal in some places for recreational use, but it is not legal from a federal view, and each state is different in their laws, just like countries like Malaysia differ from Thailand.  Point made.  Enjoy your day, time to go relax in the hot tub.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

They collect it from the local school kid drug dealer, like they just had occur in a province here in Thailand which caused a major uproar.  You must not watch the news.

Do you really think it was not available before. I mean before the local school kid dealer just had other places to buy it. I mean i could get it easily before. Now the only difference is that the quality is better and I pay far more per gram ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Eh i meant numbers in Thailand because there are none as of yet and there have not been any cases in the news yet. So its all pure speculation. People act like its a huge thing but it is not. 

I am not advocating getting stoned and driving I am saying its not a major problem yet. If you really want to save lifes ban alcohol. Don't use the save lives excuse when your not willing to ban alcohol. Because otherwise its all a farce.

It is only a matter of time.  The RTP do not even do normal road enforcement to stop impaired drivers.  They need to be trained to detect the signs and symptoms of an individual who is under the influence of either alcohol and drugs, but they would rather give you just a breath test at a checkpoint.  That will change now that cannabis is legal, you will see more accidents, of that I can guarantee from my own experiences and involvement both here and in the US.

• Like 1