Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I never claimed it was more harmful than alcohol so lets put that to bed. I was responding top a specific anecdotal claim on the addictiveness for some heavy users. Also can't speak about the "old people" as you say, I can speak about myself personally and my own opinions which are that cannabis has its place under medical use.

If people want to smoke it at home recreationally go ahead. Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

Are there current safe guards in place for young people, No. A 15 year old can go straight ahead and buy it online by clicking the "I am over 20" warning button. Not possible with alcohol. 

If its not more harmful then alcohol then put the whole discussion to bed because we can live with alcohol so if its less harmful living with cannabis should be easy.

Now you got a point about the online purchase of cannabis but as its still rarer then alcohol getting someone to buy alcohol for you is still easier and faster. 

They should just allow cannabis to be used but put an age limit on it. Just like with alcohol. Done and ready.

Im happy you did let go about the experience part not being needed to have more insight in topics. I really found that a strange remark. In almost all cases having some experience in the field your discussing about works. In general those with experience know better what they talk about so its valid to throw this at the feet of those with no experience and just an opinion. 

You fell straight into trap of not having experience when you brought up addiction as its one of the rarest things to happen. That kinda showed exactly how much you knew. 

Iam of the mind that they should either always have both alcohol and cannabis legal or ban them both.  I guess that is an opinion many drinkers can't live with.

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not the only website with the same information, they take their statistics from scientific studies and their are countless other sites that you would also ignore:

Heavy Pot Use Can Cause Physical Dependence

Reported in the November issue of the journal Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, the study is the first in humans to examine marijuana withdrawal in a setting outside the laboratory.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20001127/heavy-pot-use-can-cause-physical-dependence#1

Ehhh you do know what your quoting though ? After 10 days it gets better (talk about mild)

You would be describing an alcoholic if this was about alcohol.

We are talking about people who have had this for 11 years plus and smoke 5 times a day. That is huge and rare.

And all they got after stopping this was some irritability and other stuff no withdrawal symptoms as with alcohol. 

Actually this shows more how not addictive this stuff is if anything. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

If its not more harmful then alcohol then put the whole discussion to bed because we can live with alcohol so if its less harmful living with cannabis should be easy.

Now you got a point about the online purchase of cannabis but as its still rarer then alcohol getting someone to buy alcohol for you is still easier and faster. 

They should just allow cannabis to be used but put an age limit on it. Just like with alcohol. Done and ready.

Im happy you did let go about the experience part not being needed to have more insight in topics. I really found that a strange remark. In almost all cases having some experience in the field your discussing about works. In general those with experience know better what they talk about so its valid to throw this at the feet of those with no experience and just an opinion. 

You fell straight into trap of not having experience when you brought up addiction as its one of the rarest things to happen. That kinda showed exactly how much you knew. 

Iam of the mind that they should either always have both alcohol and cannabis legal or ban them both.  I guess that is an opinion many drinkers can't live with.

Why should I let it go? Did you not read my post well enough?

Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

The above reference not least includes laws and regulations on driving.

Getting someone to buy alcohol for you is a false equivalence when a child can currently buy this directly online, in addition can buy from any stall set up and run by unlicensed 20 year olds who would rather take the money than worry about age.

Experience in any field helps but that does not stop one learning and being educated by credible research which can cover many aspects that a user would not know about, ever heard about online degrees which do just that?

The fact is that its quite clear if you read some of the posts that some users have little knowledge other than their own experience of using which is fine for them but when they post about its not addictive then that to me is very inappropriate.

As for the drinkers opinions, you better ask them, I don't as a rule only special occasions. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ehhh you do know what your quoting though ? After 10 days it gets better (talk about mild)

You would be describing an alcoholic if this was about alcohol.

We are talking about people who have had this for 11 years plus and smoke 5 times a day. That is huge and rare.

And all they got after stopping this was some irritability and other stuff no withdrawal symptoms as with alcohol. 

Actually this shows more how not addictive this stuff is if anything. 

This was not about the level of addiction was it?

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why should I let it go? Did you not read my post well enough?

Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

The above reference not least includes laws and regulations on driving.

Getting someone to buy alcohol for you is a false equivalence when a child can currently buy this directly online, in addition can buy from any stall set up and run by unlicensed 20 year olds who would rather take the money than worry about age.

Experience in any field helps but that does not stop one learning and being educated by credible research which can cover many aspects that a user would not know about, ever heard about online degrees which do just that?

The fact is that its quite clear if you read some of the posts that some users have little knowledge other than their own experience of using which is fine for them but when they post about its not addictive then that to me is very inappropriate.

As for the drinkers opinions, you better ask them, I don't as a rule only special occasions. 

Brian can i ask you about your education because it seems you don't know much about it education. I know about online learning and I know about going to school to learn. Then when in finished my education i started to work for real and found that it was good to have education and it helps you prepare but its far from the real thing. Most people I know who have studied have these experiences. So I wonder why yours is different. 

Nothing beats practical learning especially after having studied before. That is the way of the world no online school or any school can give you more knowledge then someone who has been in the field for years. An education makes it easier to absorb the knowledge and helps you in your field. But the real knowledge comes from being in that field a lot. 

Of course they should have put some rules in place. Stupid Thai logic. Can't say i disagree there. They should just have put an age limit on there. Its just stupid they did not do something like that. I all for legal cannabis but its not a good idea for kids (no drug alcohol included ever is). Also laws on driving are important i mean only idiots would get in their car high. Kinda the same people who drink and drive. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

That would appear to be what some posters on here are advocating, ....amazing isn't it

What, going to Denmark and finding a 15 year old girlfriend?   5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you do not know from first hand experience, then YOU do not know.

All you 'Know" are what others say - which is not direct experience.

Many points made here are from people who have not a clue - and I KNOW because I have been down that road.

You can not have a clue about addiction and recovery unless you have lived through it. No matter what the "Talking Heads" whose research you 'read' say.

• Sad 1

Just now, robblok said:

Brian can i ask you about your education because it seems you don't know much about it education. I know about online learning and I know about going to school to learn. Then when in finished my education i started to work for real and found that it was good to have education and it helps you prepare but its far from the real thing. Most people I know who have studied have these experiences. So I wonder why yours is different. 

Nothing beats practical learning especially after having studied before. That is the way of the world no online school or any school can give you more knowledge then someone who has been in the field for years. An education makes it easier to absorb the knowledge and helps you in your field. But the real knowledge comes from being in that field a lot. 

Of course they should have put some rules in place. Stupid Thai logic. Can't say i disagree there. They should just have put an age limit on there. Its just stupid they did not do something like that. I all for legal cannabis but its not a good idea for kids (no drug alcohol included ever is). Also laws on driving are important i mean only idiots would get in their car high. Kinda the same people who drink and drive. 

Yes sure, I have 1 degree and one post grad MA, further than that feel free to PM me for details on my work career which encompasses a range of disciplines and positions including current self employment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes sure, I have 1 degree and one post grad MA, further than that feel free to PM me for details on my work career which encompasses a range of disciplines and positions including current self employment.

Brian if that is true (and i believe you) your experience with your education must have been the same as mine. Great to have good preparation but working in the field is different and that is when you start to gain practical knowledge.

I would find it really strange if it was any different with you. By starting to work as an accountant after my education was totally different then reading and studying for it. Most people have this experience.

But maybe admitting this is a bit hard as it blows your argument out of the water. You cant just read something and then be an expert of it. Maybe history or something like that. But in general not really as there is a huge gap between book knowledge and actually learning / working in the field. 

• Haha 1

Just now, robblok said:

Brian if that is true (and i believe you) your experience with your education must have been the same as mine. Great to have good preparation but working in the field is different and that is when you start to gain practical knowledge.

I would find it really strange if it was any different with you. By starting to work as an accountant after my education was totally different then reading and studying for it. Most people have this experience.

But maybe admitting this is a bit hard as it blows your argument out of the water. You cant just read something and then be an expert of it. Maybe history or something like that. But in general not really as there is a huge gap between book knowledge and actually learning / working in the field. 

What argument would that be that I have? I thought I already made that clear:

"Experience in any field helps but that does not stop one learning and being educated by credible research which can cover many aspects that a user would not know about"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

If you do not know from first hand experience, then YOU do not know.

All you 'Know" are what others say - which is not direct experience.

Many points made here are from people who have not a clue - and I KNOW because I have been down that road.

You can not have a clue about addiction and recovery unless you have lived through it. No matter what the "Talking Heads" whose research you 'read' say.

Not entirely true as one is small sample size. However most here are saying the same thing. Addiction of cannabis is a joke. While those with no experience are pointing to super rare cases and then even in those cases the addiction level is so light that after 10 days it goes better. 

Compare that with alcoholics that need years and years. I mean its gets easier for everyone with signs after 10 days and in a month its all gone 100% While technically that is an addiction its not much at all. 

• Confused 1

"Experience in any field helps but that does not stop one learning and being educated by credible research which can cover many aspects that a user would not know about"

Yes but we are now talking about you without any experience in the field. That is the other way around from your statement.  If you are saying that people with experience can benefit from extra education great.

But what about people like you who form their opinion based on some google searches ? Compared to those of us who have real experience and can use google too. 

You are someone who has NO experience just googles some research without knowing how severe or or how often it happens. While those with real knowledge are telling you how rare this is and then how mild it is. That is totally different.

51 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I never claimed it was more harmful than alcohol so lets put that to bed. I was responding top a specific anecdotal claim on the addictiveness for some heavy users. Also can't speak about the "old people" as you say, I can speak about myself personally and my own opinions which are that cannabis has its place under medical use.

If people want to smoke it at home recreationally go ahead. Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

Are there current safe guards in place for young people, No. A 15 year old can go straight ahead and buy it online by clicking the "I am over 20" warning button. Not possible with alcohol. 

Funny thing about old people. 

They all start as young people.

Just now, robblok said:

Yes but we are now talking about you without any experience in the field. That is the other way around from your statement.  If you are saying that people with experience can benefit from extra education great.

But what about people like you who form their opinion based on some google searches ? Compared to those of us who have real experience and can use google too. 

You are someone who has NO experience just googles some research without knowing how severe or or how often it happens. While those with real knowledge are telling you how rare this is and then how mild it is. That is totally different.

Same reply: 

What makes you think I have no experience?

On 7/30/2022 at 3:41 AM, Jingthing said:

That's outrageous.

It's their law....what is allowed in Thailand is not automatic allowed in Maleisia ....different country different strokes ...

So visa runners who love to be high ...????be warned ...could trouble you a lot & become a  expensive border hop...????

Edited by david555

Same reply: 

What makes you think I have no experience?

We are talking about experience with cannabis. Have you used it.. have you been around it and so on. I thought you said you never used it ? So then you don't have experience about cannabis. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not the only website with the same information, they take their statistics from scientific studies and their are countless other sites that you would also ignore:

Heavy Pot Use Can Cause Physical Dependence

Reported in the November issue of the journal Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, the study is the first in humans to examine marijuana withdrawal in a setting outside the laboratory.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20001127/heavy-pot-use-can-cause-physical-dependence#1

I don't share your willingness to accept anything stated as fact by either a doctor or anybody else in a white coat,  I prefer to make up my own mind based on personal experience . I probably take after my mother who was always sceptical of doctors who in her eyes were always just a bit too keen to hand out pills "like popcorn" as she used to say

.Very  fortunate for me really as it was her skepticism of these  "professionals"  that influenced her decision to refuse to take the wonder drug "thalidomide" during the time she was pregnant. Our next door neighbour at the time was some what more traditional with her blind belief of medical advice and dutifully  did as she was told, That was something she lived to regret for the rest of her life,   she was even asked by the same doctor to try to persuade my mother to change her mind  as "doctor knows best" . Thank god she wasn't very persuasive as I would not be typing this now

Consequently ,  I am not convinced by anything that these people say, like I said I prefer to base my views on personal experience whenever possible and I doubt there is anything you can say to make me change my mind

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

That would appear to be what some posters on here are advocating, ....amazing isn't it

Where does anybody advocate what you say....this OP is on being detained for marijuana, it has nothing g to do with anything else.

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

We are talking about experience with cannabis. Have you used it.. have you been around it and so on. I thought you said you never used it ? So then you don't have experience about cannabis. 

No I said I am not a user, I've had plenty of experience of being around cannabis users, in fact my son was a daily one once although now he's given up completely. Regarding cannabis I tried it...............once, knocked me out completely and couldn't drive home. Took me at least 30 mins to be able to put up the reclining seat in the car and get my girlfriend to drive...lol. Probably one of the reasons I am so concerned about the driving laws.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

To take this statement a step further ...

"I read a book about flying airplanes, so now I know how" 555

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

I get all the cannabis related posts from pot users on this forum but why are so many anti pot people posting. Obviously not your interest, so why waste your time ? As a non drinker, I am not going to be spamming your "its a religous holiday and I cant buy alcohol so I am angry" or "I need a new liver" threads, so why do you <deleted> spam all the cannabis related threads ?  

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Did they smoke weed in Malaysia.....?

Could be ....could be not ...who go say ....might had it on pocket 

BTW If driving drunk ....and cought ....is it needed to have drunk it in the car ....just too compare your remark ????

If they are under influance of weed seems to be enough ...to break THEIR law ...Anutins tourism atraction manouvre is for Thailand only ...aint it ?????

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I

I merely posted a bit of info regarding the results of urine tests certainly not an aggressive or inflammatory comment, I think my response to his smarmy, condescending and sarcastic remark was quite appropriate  

There you go once again insulting the poster and failing to stay on topic.

1 minute ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I get all the cannabis related posts from pot users on this forum but why are so many anti pot people posting. Obviously not your interest, so why waste your time ? As a non drinker, I am not going to be spamming your "its a religous holiday and I cant buy alcohol so I am angry" or "I need a new liver" threads, so why do you <deleted> spam all the cannabis related thread ?  

Maybe Because many dont like those foggy brains on the road ....????

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't share your willingness to accept anything stated as fact by either a doctor or anybody else in a white coat,  I prefer to make up my own mind based on personal experience . I probably take after my mother who was always sceptical of doctors who in her eyes were always just a bit too keen to hand out pills "like popcorn" as she used to say

.Very  fortunate for me really as it was her skepticism of these  "professionals"  that influenced her decision to refuse to take the wonder drug "thalidomide" during the time she was pregnant. Our next door neighbour at the time was some what more traditional with her blind belief of medical advice and dutifully  did as she was told, That was something she lived to regret for the rest of her life,   she was even asked by the same doctor to try to persuade my mother to change her mind  as "doctor knows best" . Thank god she wasn't very persuasive as I would not be typing this now

Consequently ,  I am not convinced by anything that these people say, like I said I prefer to base my views on personal experience whenever possible and I doubt there is anything you can say to make me change my mind

My experience of doctors in the UK has been very different.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Maybe Because many dont like those foggy brains on the road ....????

you really think its going to make a difference ? ... no one has suddenly said "oh its legal I will start driving stoned" . They either were or were not long before June 9. Same with alcohol, they'll either drive or they wont !

Edited by CraigInBangkok

5 minutes ago, seedy said:

To take this statement a step further ...

"I read a book about flying airplanes, so now I know how" 555

One step further would be that I flew a plane without reading the weather and understand the impact of various weather conditions and forecasts on the planes performance and planned flight. ooops

You need both experience and theory.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No I said I am not a user, I've had plenty of experience of being around cannabis users, in fact my son was a daily one once although now he's given up completely. Regarding cannabis I tried it...............once, knocked me out completely and couldn't drive home. Took me at least 30 mins to be able to put up the reclining seat in the car and get my girlfriend to drive...lol. Probably one of the reasons I am so concerned about the driving laws.

Cannabis is NOT a good thing for parties. Not something to take when you have to drive. At least you did the right thing and NOT drive.  I have used cannabis a lot a lil and non at all. So I think im quite intimate with it. For me the only problem is the munchies. Besides that no problems. So i was a heavy user at one time and i stopped cold turkey without any problems. So i know about how it works.

I have no concerns about cannabis besides of course kids getting it. But i think nobody ever wants kids to get their hands on stuff. Though I drank alcohol at 11 or so. Was in bars at 14-15. (those were the liberal Dutch days).

I don't think that cannabis is really for parties (personal opinion). Maybe take it with some friends. But it certainly for me at least needs a totally different environment then the standard party. But your milage might vary. I seen more people do drugs in Thailand then in my country ????

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

Could be ....could be not ...who go say ....might had it on pocket 

BTW If driving drunk ....and cought ....is it needed to have drunk it in the car ....just too compare your remark ????

If they are under influance of weed seems to be enough ...to break THEIR law ...Anutins tourism atraction manouvre is for Thailand only ...aint it ?????

David your comparison is wrong because for driving drunk you need to be in a car behind the wheel and being over the limit. So its not about when you consumed alcohol

That THC is detectable in the blood does not mean these people have used it in Malaysia. Most countries punish usage in their own country not in in a third country. IMHO levels should be checked to see when people used and then maybe punish them. But to punish someone to have a trace of an element in their blood is crazy. Now catch them smoking in Malaysia.. great, catch them with cannabis in Malaysia great. 

But just catch them with cannabis in their blood something that can be there for weeks so no way to know where it was used.. not so great.  But me as someone who occasionally uses it would certainly not visit countries like that. Good thing this is in the news it will educate people.