Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Not only Malaysia but also Singapore.

In Singapore, it's the death sentence if you bring more than a certain amount into the country.

I think Thailand is now more advanced than these countries.

Thailand more advanced than Singapore? Really, care to explain how Thailand is more Advanced.....I see you adjusted your post and now Thailand is more liberal than Singapore.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand more advanced than Singapore? Really, care to explain how Thailand is more Advanced.....

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-declared-southeast-asia-most-061515926.html

Singapore ranked 22nd globally, according to U.S. News and World Report’s annual rankings, which are based on perceived power and influence and based on surveys of more than 20,000 people worldwide.

“The world’s most powerful countries also are the ones that consistently dominate news headlines, preoccupy policymakers and shape global economic patterns,” the news agency said in its announcement yesterday.

Sorry, what I meant was more liberal and advanced in thinking.

Not everything is measured in monetary terms. Of course, not many countries can beat Singapore in terms of GDP per capita.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They didn't break Malaysian law in Thailand. It's outrageous to test blood. Period. End of story.

Agree, they took the drug in Thailand and not Malaysia. They should not have been fined.

6 hours ago, Excel said:

Why ? If they are breaking Malaysian laws then they should be penalised or do you think Thais have the right to wonder the world disregarding any other countries laws if thy so wish ?

They took the drug in Thailand and not Malaysia, how are they breaking Malaysian law?

That's just like saying that a transgender dressed as a woman in Thailand which is legal but when she goes to Malaysia a day later, she changed back into man's clothing.

Does that mean she/he should be charged in Malaysia just because she/he dressed as a woman in Thailand?

It's the same logic.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

They took the drug in Thailand and not Malaysia, how are they breaking Malaysian law?

That's just like saying that a transgender dressed as a woman in Thailand which is legal but when she goes to Malaysia a day later, she changed back into man's clothing.

Does that mean she/he should be charged in Malaysia just because she/he dressed as a woman in Thailand?

It's the same logic.

Because they are possibly still under the influence, if they had driven a car in Malaysia and had a crash as a result of being high then should they not be charged for DUI?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It's the same logic.

Your mixing apples and oranges again. They had reason to suspect they had marijuana in their systems, ie...possible under the influence and being in violation of Malaysian laws for using an illegal substance.  Just like Dubai arresting the lady and a few others for drinking alcohol while on a flight, and upon landing being arrested for public intoxication, which was a stretch.  The body is being seen as a container for the illicit drugs and the drugs being in the system as proof by a test show they have marijuana in their system while in Malaysia.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is about as far off topic as Christians being thrown to the lions or suspected witches being strapped to the ducking stool.

If you take drugs in a country that allows it, that is up to you. If you go to a different country with different laws that is also up to you.

However don't bleat or cry if you break the second countries laws and get punished. Just remember whose choice it was to take the drugs.

Your way of thinking is as archaic as a country that tests people arriving by plane, train or automobile. If you are one of those who thinks that because a country has laws that defy people's basic human rights then maybe you should move to one of those countries. There is such a thing called human rights, and although I am no expert I am pretty sure that doing something like this violates one's basic human rights.

In this story the people who got arrested because they smoked weed... and not even in Malaysia. These kind of laws are as bad as they get. Imagine for a second if they decided to test for herpes, or syphilis. House rules? Ok then, screw them. BTW, where is the warning in Malaysia that they can randomly test people for drugs?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because they are possibly still under the influence, if they had driven a car in Malaysia and had a crash as a result of being high then should they not be charged for DUI?

If they had a crash due to drugs, then it's a different matter.  Not every tourist who goes to Malaysia drives.

That would be like saying that you cannot take alcohol before going to Malaysia because there will be a crash afterwards.

So does that mean that all flights which allow alcohol to be served should be tested for urine when they land?

See how ridiculous this urine test is. 

Edited by EricTh

In my industry we get tested regulary for drugs and alcohol in the UK, when i am going to a site with a known history of urine testing before being inducted onto site, i use one of these 3/4 hours before my induction appiontment.

Zydot Euro Blend Urine Purifying Test Anti Toxin Detox Drink 3 Flavours 2pc

Zydot euro blend.

They are a "masker" not a system cleaner and cost about £25 per bottle, it's a powder that you mix with 500ml of water.

I have used these 7/8 times in the past decade and passed each urine test.

If i am going to a site that uses saliva tests, i abstain from THC for 36-48 hours

and have passed every saliva test also.

I can only recommend the above product for THC.

Availability outside UK/Europe is unknown.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If they had a crash due to drugs, then it's a different matter.  Not every tourist who goes to Malaysia drives.

That would be like saying that you cannot take alcohol before going to Malaysia because there will be a crash afterwards.

So does that mean that all flights which allow alcohol to be served should be tested for urine when they land?

See how ridiculous this urine test is. 

The point is that it blows away your argument which was:

"They took the drug in Thailand and not Malaysia, how are they breaking Malaysian law"

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Egads.

You still don't seem to get it.

No problem checking for possession but they are arresting people for having taken pot in Thailand.

That is objectively outrageous, the world should know and ideally the world should boycott.

They have been doing it for years. It is their law. The fact that Thailand has legalised cannabis, or perhaps more accurately abandoned any attempt to restrict access to o the stuff, does not change Malaysia's laws or how they enforce them.

If you have got cannabis in your system, don't go there, 'cos having it in your system is illegal.

If it leads to a widespread boycott they may change their laws, although I rather doubt it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

What is missing from the OP is how many other Thais went through the border post the same day and were clean? AFAICS NONE of the three were farangs, yet it is only the farangs on this thread are upset about it.

Well it is a 95% Expat forum so hardly any surprise there really.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Pork Pie said:

What.does "no effect on work" mean.? Stoned Sunday but not Monday! 

Are you seriously suggesting that a high carries on when you wake up the next day?

That's the kind of thing those kind of people think

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As far as I am aware most if not all of the mass produced urine tests for cannabis do not actually test for THC . They actually test for "metabolites" of THC which can be present in the urine for , as others have stated, up to 90 days The metabolites detected are not psychoactive neither are they "controlled substances"  in the rest of the world (although that might not be the case in Malaysia) 

The Urine test is in no way indicative of intoxication, it merely indicates that cannabis was used some time during the previous months  Its use is somewhat controversial in work place settings as It really is only a check on somebodies lifestyle.

Why is it  that  with all the world renowned medical minds desperately trying to find more and more reasons to restrict the  availability of cannabis, not one of these "geniuses" has managed to  come up with a valid test for intoxication

Perhaps you should offer your own "genius" insights to other governments

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As far as I am aware most if not all of the mass produced urine tests for cannabis do not actually test for THC . They actually test for "metabolites" of THC which can be present in the urine for , as others have stated, up to 90 days The metabolites detected are not psychoactive neither are they "controlled substances"  in the rest of the world (although that might not be the case in Malaysia) 

The Urine test is in no way indicative of intoxication, it merely indicates that cannabis was used some time during the previous months  Its use is somewhat controversial in work place settings as It really is only a check on somebodies lifestyle.

Why is it  that  with all the world renowned medical minds desperately trying to find more and more reasons to restrict the  availability of cannabis, not one of these "geniuses" has managed to  come up with a valid test for intoxication

It is Malaysias law, don't try and use your personal freedoms being violated issue as your freedoms and rights don't go far In  other countries now do they..... world renowned medical minds do not mean jack diddly in a country where any amount is illegal no matter how long ago it was.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would you accept being tested for drugs at immigration when entering another country?

I don't use any illicit drugs and rarely drink these days but it is simply not acceptable to check and punish people for something they have done that was perfectly legal in another country.

It's called personal freedom and millions died for it and that flag you have in your avatar.

Jeez, you're having a 'mare on this thread mate.

Yes  i would if I knew it was illegal to use drugs in that country.  My personal freedoms don't exist in foreign countries Sir. My safety and life are in the balance and never would I dream of doing anything stupid enough to violate rules and laws that are not of my countries making. Learn to live within the rules present not ones you believe cover you elsewhere because of what many died for in your home country. My countrymen did not die for Thailand or Malaysias freedoms.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Countries set their own legal limits on how much THC is in the body regarding driving, same as they do with alcohol. 

Typically 2 to 5 nanograms of THC per ml of blood are the benchmarks used in most countries. The initial test for THC is quickly carried out roadside via a saliva swab, tests give a detailed picture of THC levels in the saliva, or some also use active oral fluid sheets, then a second test is done at the station if the first is shown to be above the limit, again same as with alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That'll probably hinder tourists numbers.  Who wants to go to a country that may or may not subject you to a random drug test.

However before COVID there were busts at late night bars in Pattaya that everyone was subject to drug tests.

50,000 baht and 3 days in a rotten Malaysian jail.

Nightmare! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Well it is a 95% Expat forum so hardly any surprise there really.

And as no expats were involved why do you keep banging on about it.

If you choose to use marijuana, don't whine if other countries won't let you in

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

deleted post

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

perhaps you should wind your neck in

Perhaps you should stick to the topic instead of insulting other posters He, and all of us, have the right to post our comments and opinions. If you don't like his post, then skip it. You can always put him on ignore as you can put me on ignore.

I promise that I won't whine or insult you if you do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Countries set their own legal limits on how much THC is in the body regarding driving, same as they do with alcohol. 

Typically 2 to 5 nanograms of THC per ml of blood are the benchmarks used in most countries. The initial test for THC is quickly carried out roadside via a saliva swab, tests give a detailed picture of THC levels in the saliva, or some also use active oral fluid sheets, then a second test is done at the station if the first is shown to be above the limit, again same as with alcohol.

I think you'll find that is not exactly a test for intoxication, it is  just the lowest level that can be positively detected, It is effectively zero tolerance.  conversely  alcohol users are given a generous lee way of 50mg  Although having seen my misses after half a glass of chang that seems overly lenient to me

However these were urine tests which cannot detect actual THC and there was no mention of blood tests

I am sure they are not stopping every traveler at every border and giving them a urine test.  But regardless, this is a caution, not necessarily a warning to travelers that smoke pot.    There may be issues you had not expected even if not a drug dealer, not carrying anything etc. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

They beat ya with the whippin' stick down there, same as Singapore.

S.I.Z.A.R.I.F.A.L.I.N.A: Pudu Jail

I wonder if this testing is in place only because someone 'made a deal' to spend millions in gov't funds for drug-user detection systems.  What the does it matter?  Even in the US there is no law against "internal possession."

Malaysia hangs people for drugs too.