Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

I have spent a lot of time in Malaysia, mostly Penang, but I've been to lots of places on the peninsula.  Never got hassled crossing the border via land or air, never got eyeballed by LE, never had problems receiving packages from abroad. 

Then I went over to Eastern Malaysia to see what it was like.  Spent over a month in various places.  Then I got to Kota Kinabalu.  On a city bus, the first time I was stopped randomly and had my papers checked in my SEA travels; they were not in uniform, so when the lead guy said "passport" I said "no passport" then he told me "we are police" and all three of them showed their badges. 

Saw two teenagers, a boy and a girl (her wearing a hijab) sitting on the quayside and two uniformed cops start hassling them.

In some Latin American countries there will be women discreetly sitting in the lobbies of budget hotels.  They are selling companionship :wink:.  In KK it will instead be a man, over 30, insisting on eye contact, and probably Chinese.  Also a lot of men on the street who seem to be seeking new friends.  Maybe the town has a reputation.  I do find it odd that this permissiveness goes on in a place that appears to have such strict cops.

I met a young European guy with long hair that a female imm. officer wouldn't let on to the plane back to the KL, some "passport problem."  The fellow got back in line and went to a different officer, checked in with no problem.

A final word on Malaysia cops:  talking with a Malay taxi driver who worked the Sadao border area, he said the Thai cops just want money -- you pay them and they go on their way.  The Malay cops want the money but they also beat you up, they like to do the strangle-hold that make you pass out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I think you'll find that is not exactly a test for intoxication, it is  just the lowest level that can be positively detected, It is effectively zero tolerance.  conversely  alcohol users are given a generous lee way of 50mg  Although having seen my misses after half a glass of chang that seems overly lenient to me

However these were urine tests which cannot detect actual THC and there was no mention of blood tests

No thats exactly what it is, a test for intoxication, based on the level set by each country.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But then they have a point.

If Singapore don't want any stoned people in their country then it makes sense to stop them.

Imagine a person taking lots of drugs in Thailand just before the flight. He/she won't be sober on arrival.

Personally I don't care if people want to be stoned if they are responsible people and i.e. don't drive. But as usual there is a set of people who think that if it is legal they can use it anytime in any condition. Not a good idea.

That is a different story and not what they are talking about. They are talking about people who are not stoned but just have it in their system. SO they are going after people who are not under the influence but have used it in a country where it is legal. That is not really a good law.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't think you have the option to accept them (drug tests), if you want to enter Malaysia.

Entry to Malaysia has always as far as I know involved the possibility of being tested. It is no secret that they do it. Donkeys' years ago I flew Stansted - Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. Half a dozen of us were asked to pee in a bottle. I was negative, unsurprisingly as I have never touched the stuff.

It was an reaction on an off topic reaction about testing at the workplace. Anyway of course you can't get away from testing in other countries.

Its just a really bd thing that SG and Malaysia are doing this. Because the offence was not comitted in their country. Unless the offence is having traces of canabis in your system instead of usage in their country.

Anyway unreasonable laws but even though I have a SG GF its more reason never to go there. I dont like it there and this is crazy. Just like it is in Malaysia. If i had to go there id make sure not to use anything for a few weeks. However the fact that they are that extreme makes me not want to go there.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is a different story and not what they are talking about. They are talking about people who are not stoned but just have it in their system. SO they are going after people who are not under the influence but have used it in a country where it is legal. That is not really a good law.

I don't know about the details what Singapore does and I don't really care. I don't take drugs and I don't go to Singapore.

But it's us to them. Some countries have laws which apply for their citizens even if the citizens are in another county. Nobody asks us directly if we like those laws or want those laws. But if they exist and if they might be in conflict of what we want to do then it's a good idea to keep them in mind and possibly obey those laws. Or accept the possible consequences. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know about the details what Singapore does and I don't really care. I don't take drugs and I don't go to Singapore.

But it's us to them. Some countries have laws which apply for their citizens even if the citizens are in another county. Nobody asks us directly if we like those laws or want those laws. But if they exist and if they might be in conflict of what we want to do then it's a good idea to keep them in mind and possibly obey those laws. Or accept the possible consequences. 

Id say these laws are unfair though the Netherlands has one such law about sex with non adults (that is one of the few times i find such laws acceptable) Then there are some tax laws but that is always difficult to talk about.. But that is about it one for the rest the laws of the country your in apply.  But your right you either accept them or not. I don't accept them and I don't like those places so I wont visit. 

I don't need weed or anything so i could easily not use. GF went back to SG afraid a bit as she used some cannabis weeks ago. (she is an expat living here just returning for work). Now the people from SG were informed about this and its known. So she took it into account. I talked with some people from SG. Its just an oppressive government they cant get rid off because the opposition is <deleted>. Plus they did make good economic headway. But most people from SG found it stupid that their country tries to tell them what to do and not to do outside their country.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because they are possibly still under the influence, if they had driven a car in Malaysia and had a crash as a result of being high then should they not be charged for DUI?

So why don't they breathalyse  all   arrivals just in case they might be planning on driving ?,  Does any country do that,?  I don't think so. not even countries where alcohol is banned !

• Confused 3

Just now, Bday Prang said:

So why don't they breathalyse  all   arrivals just in case they might be planning on driving ?,  Does any country do that,?  I don't think so. not even countries where alcohol is banned !

Is that a serious question? See who I was replying to and why I made that example

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Fair game.

I can't wait until all the pesky farang come to Thailand for their weed addiction and decide to make a stop in Singapore.

Poetic justice.

Why can't you wait?  What is it about that somewhat unlikely scenario that appeals to you ? 

Cannabis is not a physically addictive substance . I'm having difficulty in establishing the motivation for anybody to bother writing something like that. 

Could it be just another  example of somebody with limited knowledge and blinkered views on a subject seeking a a few "likes" from other people of a similar nature? Surely not, but I have wasted enough time thinking about it and its the only reason I can think of, 

A  perfect example of virtue signalling in my opinion, whilst at the same time expressing an unnatural and almost sadistic desire for people you have never even met to encounter serious problems   

I'm also curious as to  why  you refer to people as "farang" are you Thai?  I doubt it as none of the Thai people I know would consider writing something like that. Come to think of it . nobody I know would write something like that

• Like 2

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

And as no expats were involved why do you keep banging on about it.

If you choose to use marijuana, don't whine if other countries won't let you in

You're hilarious.  So I am only allowed to comment on things that involve expats?  It's a heinous policy, I don't care who they are doing it to - why should that make a difference? I am not a racist.  If unacceptable things happen to Thais I care about it.  Maybe you have a different outlook and only care when expats are mistreated, not Thais.  Up to you.

And "keep banging on about it".  Like you're not banging on about it being totally acceptable / reasonable.

Edited by josephbloggs

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm struggling to find anything in your post that substantiates its claims. For heavy users cannabis can indeed become addictive both physically with distinct withdrawal syndromes and Psychologically.

Could the same be said about posters on Public Forums - becomes addictive ?

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A bit off topic, but the same vein. Say I have a girlfriend in France or Denmark where the age of sexual consent is 15, and bring her to UK by ferry where the age is 16, should they do a vaginal swab and DNA match to see if I 4ucked the girl in the other country, outside UK territorial waters? And would I have broken UK law?

It's always a good idea to have an idea about the local laws wherever you go.

I read about similar cases of what you describe within the USA with different ages of consent in different states. I think in one state it was 20. Sex with a 19 year old was illegal...

• Like 1

Just now, seedy said:

Could the same be said about posters on Public Forums - becomes addictive ?

Withdrawls, argh.....must type on my keyboard...one key at a time, oh the pain my hands feel from not typing and adding to discussions while drinking my coffee.....oh the pain of listening to people trying to express how there freedoms are being destroyed by a country who has there own laws and rules regarding illicit drugs.  One day maybe all countries will view cannabis as legal, but until then folks need to remember that if they want to visit elsewhere they can not take the drugs into that country or use the drugs, even if they toked a joint or smoked a bowl just minutes before crossing the border, they are still in violation of the law in Malaysia.  Why is that so hard for people to understand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm struggling to find anything in your post that substantiates its claims. For heavy users cannabis can indeed become addictive both physically with distinct withdrawal syndromes and Psychologically.

if that's what you choose to believe, carry on. I on the other hand and with the benefit of personal experience . which you do not have, disagree, 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A bit off topic, but the same vein. Say I have a girlfriend in France or Denmark where the age of sexual consent is 15, and bring her to UK by ferry where the age is 16, should they do a vaginal swab and DNA match to see if I 4ucked the girl in the other country, outside UK territorial waters? And would I have broken UK law?

That would appear to be what some posters on here are advocating, ....amazing isn't it

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

if that's what you choose to believe, carry on. I on the other hand and with the benefit of personal experience . which you do not have, disagree, 

So making claims on anecdotal evidence from you only. Not particularly helpful should people believe that and then go on to get addicted.

Part of education and learning is carried out by research that's why you don't have to experience something yourself. I know as an example that tobacco is highly addictive, not because I've experienced it but because all evidence tells me that to be the case. The same with alcohol.

Exactly the same with cannabis for heavy users as I said:

"For those concerned about whether they or a loved one are addicted to marijuana, there are some clear warning signs to look out for. These include an inability to stop smoking pot even after earnest attempts to quit, using weed as a means of relaxation or escaping reality, and having your social circle revolve around your pot use. Negative changes in school or job performance, as well as relationships with loved ones, are also warning signs for a potential marijuana addiction.

Just like any drug addiction, withdrawal symptoms are often an inevitable factor when a user stops “cold turkey.” Some of the psychological symptoms include, Insomnia and related fatigue, Irritability, Anxiety, Depression.

Physical symptoms include a loss in appetite, shakiness and chronic headaches. Although many of these symptoms don’t warrant medical attention, they typically last for 1-2 weeks. Sleeping problems can last for as long as 30 days and tend to be more severe in adults."

https://drugabuse.com/blog/marijuana-addiction/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So making claims on anecdotal evidence from you only. Not particularly helpful should people believe that and then go on to get addicted.

Part of education and learning is carried out by research that's why you don't have to experience something yourself. I know as an example that tobacco is highly addictive, not because I've experienced it but because all evidence tells me that to be the case. The same with alcohol.

"For those concerned about whether they or a loved one are addicted to marijuana, there are some clear warning signs to look out for. These include an inability to stop smoking pot even after earnest attempts to quit, using weed as a means of relaxation or escaping reality, and having your social circle revolve around your pot use. Negative changes in school or job performance, as well as relationships with loved ones, are also warning signs for a potential marijuana addiction.

Just like any drug addiction, withdrawal symptoms are often an inevitable factor when a user stops “cold turkey.” Some of the psychological symptoms include, Insomnia and related fatigue, Irritability, Anxiety, Depression.

Physical symptoms include a loss in appetite, shakiness and chronic headaches. Although many of these symptoms don’t warrant medical attention, they typically last for 1-2 weeks. Sleeping problems can last for as long as 30 days and tend to be more severe in adults."

Sounds minor especially if compared with alcohol addiction and stopping (death can occur). Yet we all know that there are few people who have these problems with alcohol. Its the same with canabis but for your argument you are taking the rarest cases and even then it pales in comparison with alcohol cases.

So what does that kind of information teach you ? Maybe that you should stop demonizing cannabis and accepting that alcohol consumers are the true junkies and the true ones at risk. Once yo udo that and then realize that alcohol addiction is rare and real problems from alcohol are rare too. Then  with your new found perspective you go back to the discussion after finaly realizing that alcohol is the real problem and then realising that even though its the most damaging in most cases it does not do much damage. Then you got a good indication how good pot is in comparison.

The problem is that mainly old people seem to be against liberalization as they hate acknowledging that better then alcohol. We are expecting old people to change their views that is impossible. They have been brainwashed over time and it will take forever for those to get some solid understanding of cannabis. 

As a Dutch guy it was always available, and guess what i never seen someone attack others while high on cannabis, can't say the same about alcohol though. Plenty of violence. Addiction wise i did not see much from alcohol and cannabis. Hangover wise alcohol always won. Stupid action wise alcohol also always won as most canabis users fell asleep ????

As for the I dont need to use something to know, true. However those that have used both and been around users have a far better idea then those who only got their info from other sources. Its like thinking you can be an expert on fitness without ever touching a weight. Now sure there might be some exceptions but in general those with practical experience will know more. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well I choose personal experience which for me is far more palpable and relevant than anything written in the article referred to by your link, which by the way is nothing more than a scaremongering advertisement for a commercial profit making organisation.  "American Addiction centers"  On accessing the site I was immediately presented with a "pop up"  offering access to a  24hr "emergency"  telephone hotline  (for gods sake)   together with a link for me to click on to helpfully enable me me to check out my payment options .

The whole website looks like it has been written by professional marketing types (as it so obviously was)  and is. as usual, just a rehash of the same old "reefer madness" propaganda that we are all too familiar with. 

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

Sounds minor especially if compared with alcohol addiction and stopping (death can occur). Yet we all know that there are few people who have these problems with alcohol. Its the same with canabis but for your argument you are taking the rarest cases and even then it pales in comparison with alcohol cases.

So what does that kind of information teach you ? Maybe that you should stop demonizing cannabis and accepting that alcohol consumers are the true junkies and the true ones at risk. Once yo udo that and then realize that alcohol addiction is rare and real problems from alcohol are rare too. Then  with your new found perspective you go back to the discussion after finaly realizing that alcohol is the real problem and then realising that even though its the most damaging in most cases it does not do much damage. Then you got a good indication how good pot is in comparison.

The problem is that mainly old people seem to be against liberalization as they hate acknowledging that better then alcohol. We are expecting old people to change their views that is impossible. They have been brainwashed over time and it will take forever for those to get some solid understanding of cannabis. 

As a Dutch guy it was always available, and guess what i never seen someone attack others while high on cannabis, can't say the same about alcohol though. Plenty of violence. Addiction wise i did not see much from alcohol and cannabis. Hangover wise alcohol always won. Stupid action wise alcohol also always won as most canabis users fell asleep ????

As for the I dont need to use something to know, true. However those that have used both and been around users have a far better idea then those who only got their info from other sources. Its like thinking you can be an expert on fitness without ever touching a weight. Now sure there might be some exceptions but in general those with practical experience will know more. 

I never claimed it was more harmful than alcohol so lets put that to bed. I was responding top a specific anecdotal claim on the addictiveness for some heavy users. Also can't speak about the "old people" as you say, I can speak about myself personally and my own opinions which are that cannabis has its place under medical use.

If people want to smoke it at home recreationally go ahead. Should the announcement on the 9th June been made without rules and regulations in place first, NO.

Are there current safe guards in place for young people, No. A 15 year old can go straight ahead and buy it online by clicking the "I am over 20" warning button. Not possible with alcohol. 

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Well I choose personal experience which for me is far more palpable and relevant than anything written in the article referred to by your link, which by the way is nothing more than a scaremongering advertisement for a commercial profit making organisation.  "American Addiction centers"  On accessing the site I was immediately presented with a "pop up"  offering access to a  24hr "emergency"  telephone hotline  (for gods sake)   together with a link for me to click on to helpfully enable me me to check out my payment options .

The whole website looks like it has been written by professional marketing types (as it so obviously was)  and is. as usual, just a rehash of the same old "reefer madness" propaganda that we are all too familiar with. 

Its not the only website with the same information, they take their statistics from scientific studies and their are countless other sites that you would also ignore:

Heavy Pot Use Can Cause Physical Dependence

Reported in the November issue of the journal Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, the study is the first in humans to examine marijuana withdrawal in a setting outside the laboratory.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20001127/heavy-pot-use-can-cause-physical-dependence#1