Confusion reigns as EXAT announce new speed limits on expressways

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News suggested that an announcement from the Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) via the Thai police would confuse motorists about speed limits on Thai roads. 

Following a 240 day waiting period before an announcement in the Government Gazette on July 22nd new speed limits are now in effect on expressways.

But these ministerial regulations are at odds with rules issued by Transport minister Saksayam Chidchop earlier last year.

As shown in an infographic the new speed limits for cars on elevated expressways are 100 kmph for cars, and 80 kmph for trucks over 2.2 tons, passenger vehicles with more than 15 passengers and school buses. 

On ground level expressways the speed limit is 110 and 90 kmph respectively.

Yet Saksayam had said that the speed limit on roads with two lanes and up and a central divider should be 120 kmph for cars. Expressways are just that or have more lanes.

He also said that drivers in the right lane on such roads must not travel at less than 100 kmph. 

The media said that EXAT and the police had worked with the police on the new limits and signage advising motorists was now in place.

The suggestion was that Saksayam had been sidelined in this matter.

ASEAN NOW notes that 120 kmph was only introduced on certain roads as a trial, a trial that is expanding in its scope. 

We understand that it was never meant to include Bangkok expressways but nevertheless accept there has always been widespread confusion as to speed limits on many roads. 

Sometimes the speed limit from signage seems to go from 90 to 100 to 110 and back again for no apparent reason while electronic boards might say 80.

The speed limit on most Thai roads outside cities is generally 80 or 90 kmph. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

I figured out long time a go that there must have been several groups who installed the speed signs on Thai Hwys as some of the signes don't look the same, neither one knew what the other did or even bothered to coordinate, another fine example of TIT...

Edited by ezzra
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, my head was spinning after the 1st paragraph leaving me confused as to what the speed limit is... just POST IT on the roads. Doesn't matter anyhow, nobody pays attention!

I think I will, I've just got a ticket through the post for speeding " allegedly " on the Khonkaen Kalasin highway!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, my head was spinning after the 1st paragraph leaving me confused as to what the speed limit is... just POST IT on the roads. Doesn't matter anyhow, nobody pays attention!

Agree, way too many factors/situations and different limits. Guranteed confusion.

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

"He also said that drivers in the right lane on such roads must not travel at less than 100 kmph."

I wish they'd teach drivers to always keep left when possible. The keep your lane idea is a horrible system that only creates slow moving islands of vehicles greatly reducing the capacity of the road. Many traffic jams happen for this reason and are totally avoidable. There's absolutely no need to stick to the right when one or more lanes on the left are quiet.

Also U-turns in the middle of the road should be banned on all multi lane roads. Having to leave and again enter a road via the fast lane is the worst piece of road design I've ever seen anywhere.

if wishes were horses...

don't you ever get tired of complaining about the local way of doing things? why are you here if you do badly want everything to change?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 300sd said:

I was just on one of those 120 km/h highways between Korat and Saraburi. There were speed signs at 120, then one km later they would say 90. Then back to 120 and then again 90. Of course I doubt it's a problem for Thailand, just part of the experience eh.

Just what I was going to mention, they have the same ridiculous fluctuating speed signs down the Motorway number 7 from Bangkok to Pattaya. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

if wishes were horses...

don't you ever get tired of complaining about the local way of doing things? why are you here if you do badly want everything to change?

It's just a wish. You're the one complaining.

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

It's just a wish. You're the one complaining.

you're in denial. you should re-read your post, it's one big long whinge. you sound like you lost The Game. maybe a trip back home to Utopia might ease your pain.

17 hours ago, 300sd said:

I was just on one of those 120 km/h highways between Korat and Saraburi. There were speed signs at 120, then one km later they would say 90. Then back to 120 and then again 90. Of course I doubt it's a problem for Thailand, just part of the experience eh.

You should try the French roads...it is worse

I would love to see the nearly non existent highway patrol begin to enforce the minimum speed limits in the fast lane on highways, with real penalties. Word would get around quickly, and the dangerous and highly disrespectful truck drivers who hog the fast lanes, even when they are not passing, would be put down a notch. They are incredibly annoying and take alof of the joy out of road trips here. 

On 7/30/2022 at 4:42 AM, jacko45k said:

There's a section of Hwy 9 heading west which is 90 plus. Suddenly you see a mandatory sign '30 kph' so slam on the brakes.....less than 150 meters later a sign '90'. I think its designed to force the driver to test their brakes.......????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, carlyai said:

Evidently this highway is maybe, probably, could be, possibly 90Kmph. They got me for 110Kmph. B500. 

But the lovely policeman said ' if you get stopped for speeding again today, just show this reciept as you've already paid for today'. ????

Same thing for not wearing a helmet. You pay per day, not for the event. How does this match with the proposed "point" system ? If it is per day and you are in a hurry just drive as fast as you like, pay eventually the 500.-- if cought only to continue your race after that. Sorry Mr. Policeman, I did pay already for today ..... One time the slogan "Amazing Thailand" is as true as can be.

Edited by moogradod

20 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

you're in denial. you should re-read your post, it's one big long whinge. you sound like you lost The Game. maybe a trip back home to Utopia might ease your pain.

No no.. I know your kind. Unable to play ball and always straight onto the player. Any player. For no reason other then to just fight and annoy. I don't care what your kind thinks though. Whatever floats your boat but you won't get under my skin. ????

I drive as fast as the others do... any slower is just suicide

????

Another note, why dont they just choose 1 number?

Let's say 100.

Its not a big difference in distance in an hour compared to 90 or 110

On 7/31/2022 at 4:01 AM, Lemsta69 said:

I think the main issue is that many farang have frames of reference from back home that are just as bad as Thailand. Utopia in a sense does exist when it comes to really well designed infrastructure.

I really do miss the amazing infrastructure from my country of origin. It's just that there are other reasons keeping me here. Mostly the pace of life really. And the climate.

I'm a happy person here. English isn't my native language though and sometimes what I write comes off a bit harsh. I generally don't mind the roads here. They're good enough. Just not what they could be and just a few changes could improve capacity and safety by a lot. Nothing wrong with a bit of wishful thinking.