Pelosi expected to visit Taiwan, Taiwanese and US officials say

Scott

Nancy Pelosi at 2019 J Street National Conference

(CNN)US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to visit Taiwan as part of her tour of Asia, according to a senior Taiwanese government official and a US official, despite warnings from Biden administration officials, who are worried about China's response to such a high-profile visit.

The stop -- the first for a US House speaker in 25 years -- is not currently on Pelosi's public itinerary and comes at a time when US-China relations are already at a low point.
The Taiwanese official added that she is expected to stay in Taiwan overnight. It is unclear when exactly Pelosi will land in Taipei.

CNN.jpg
  • Like 1

Pelosi has always been a staunch critic of China throughout her more than 3 decades in Congress. She does not bow to China's threat. She has thumbed her nose once by unfurling a banner on Tiananmen Sqaure memorializing those killed. She is a strong supporter of the 2019 pro-democracy protests and a close friend of President Tsai of Taiwan sharing similar democratic and liberal values.

China threats are just sabre rattling and needed for Xi to bolster his nationalistic credential ahead of the party congress later this year. 

• Like 1

Well, she is free to do what she thinks is the best for her? But the best for her country?

The most bad outcome would be a war between China and Taiwan.

To fight Putin and at the same time China? Doomsday certainly for everyone.????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Credit where credit is due, she is doing the right thing in going. To have backed down and openly showed fear of Xi would have been potentially catastrophic. Well done Nancy, next time maybe don't announce sensitive visits beforehand.

She's an old fox. I would not be surprised if the uncertainty about her going to Taiwan was actually calculated.

Edited by candide

IF the flight data online is correct and the plane everyone is tracking is her ride, then they're flying almost double distance from KL to Taipei - all way outside the 9 dash line around the South China Sea - I wonder if that was a negotiated compromise?

10 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, she is free to do what she thinks is the best for her? But the best for her country?

The most bad outcome would be a war between China and Taiwan.

To fight Putin and at the same time China? Doomsday certainly for everyone.????

Godspeed Nancy.

Independence for Taiwan.

• Like 2

It seems that in the Democratic Party it's the women who have the balls.

For us old timers who lived through the Cold War years it's all topsy-turvy: standing up to dictators (what the US press used to call a "strong man" and was not a compliment), demanding free and fair elections in other countries, impassioned declarations of patriotism such as "love it or leave it," "better dead than red" and "these colors don't run."  Now it's the Dems standing up to fascism while the GOP worries about upsetting the dictators.  Some people in US Congress think a foreign policy refers to buying travel insurance.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good luck Taiwan. You're going to need it.

Unfortunately you seem to be right. From what I read in the Swiss Press (Blick) it is not unlikely that a war will follow between China and Taiwan. They say that "Chinas army would consider options to not only perform military exercises but to attack as well military targets in Taiwan to end the tacit cease-fire with the Taiwanese army".

Source (in German): https://www.blick.ch/ausland/scharfe-schiessuebungen-nur-wenige-kilometer-vor-taiwanesischer-kueste-china-will-taiwan-von-sechs-seiten-mit-militaermanoevern-einkesseln-id17759243.html

and from the Global TImes (China): https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202208/1272075.shtml

14 hours ago, candide said:

She's an old fox. I would not be surprised if the uncertainty about her going to Taiwan was actually calculated.

You mean kicking the hornets nest was intentional, getting stung was just for fun? I can assure you this vanity trip for Pelosi and co has massively provoked China and put relations at an new all time low. This at a time when the USA under the Biden regime is already a laughing stock after essentially  arming the Taliban with $85b of war weaponry, got us in a "proxy" war with Russia, and the world is teetering on a precipice. 

I do not care what the left wing media is saying. There are zero achievements or gains by this provocative behavior, and so very much is lost. But, at least Pelosi has big face for a day or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

You mean kicking the hornets nest was intentional, getting stung was just for fun? I can assure you this vanity trip for Pelosi and co has massively provoked China and put relations at an new all time low.

Don't think imposing economic curbs on Taiwan with sand and fruit bans are massive provocation by China. Calm down. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

You mean kicking the hornets nest was intentional, getting stung was just for fun? I can assure you this vanity trip for Pelosi and co has massively provoked China and put relations at an new all time low. This at a time when the USA under the Biden regime is already a laughing stock after essentially  arming the Taliban with $85b of war weaponry, got us in a "proxy" war with Russia, and the world is teetering on a precipice. 

I do not care what the left wing media is saying. There are zero achievements or gains by this provocative behavior, and so very much is lost. But, at least Pelosi has big face for a day or two.

For the past 30 years, "good relations" with China has made that country the economic and military equal of the US. It's resulted in the destruction of US industry and the American middle class. And you want relations back where they were so China can kick the US out of the Pacific and East Asia? I don't know if you're in Thailand, but if the US is humiliated or defeated by China because of the naysayers back  in the Us, our lives here are going to take a hit, too. 

54 minutes ago, John Drake said:

For the past 30 years, "good relations" with China has made that country the economic and military equal of the US. It's resulted in the destruction of US industry and the American middle class. And you want relations back where they were so China can kick the US out of the Pacific and East Asia? I don't know if you're in Thailand, but if the US is humiliated or defeated by China because of the naysayers back  in the Us, our lives here are going to take a hit, too. 

The former President got Xi to wind his neck in, and kept him on a short leash, so it can be done with competent leadership. Of course the howls of racism and bigotry were deafening, but in those days the notion that China were about to invade Taiwan was a distant thought. I'd recommend going back to the Trump position of severe tariffs and no familial business activity with the CCP or affiliated firms.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

The former President got Xi to wind his neck in, and kept him on a short leash, so it can be done with competent leadership. Of course the howls of racism and bigotry were deafening, but in those days the notion that China were about to invade Taiwan was a distant thought. I'd recommend going back to the Trump position of severe tariffs and no familial business activity with the CCP or affiliated firms.

Where exactly did Trump get Xi to wind his neck in? Did Trump stop China from creating new island military bases in the South China Sea? Did he force China to abandon any of the islands it created? Did China back off on Hong Kong? Didn't China launch military attacks on India during Trump's term in office?

Stop making things up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

This at a time when the USA under the Biden regime is already a laughing stock after essentially  arming the Taliban with $85b of war weaponry

As usual, this is a lie. You should check information before parroting Trump's lies.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-donald-trump-85-billion-left-taliban-afghanistan-1636885

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/republicans-inflate-cost-of-taliban-seized-u-s-military-equipment/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Unfortunately, Trump was all hot air when it came to China. As soon as it hurt "his" stock market, he backed down. Finally, he ended up begging Xi to buy American soybeans. And now today China is still raising capital for its state owned enterprises tied to the Chinese army on Wall Street. The real culprits in all this are the Bushes and the Clintons. They, along with Nixon and Kissinger, gave away the store. And the US businesses that followed lemming-like. Put them all in chains and behind bars.

• Like 2

You're so desperate to blame Trump for all if the world's woes. Bless.

Apart from modifications to other projects started decades ago, I can't see any new ones started from scratch, after Trump was elected. All these occupations/developments should have been stopped immediately, at the outset. 

Hong Kong is part of China and the US can only complain but not interfere and the same goes for any Sino-Indian border dispute, which has been an issue since 1962.

From December 2013 to October 2015, China built artificial islands with a total area of close to 3,000 acres on seven coral reefs it occupies in the Spratly Islands in the southern part of the South China Sea. 

https://www.uscc.gov/research/chinas-island-building-south-china-sea-damage-marine-environment-implications-and

Edited by nauseus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Apart from modifications to other projects started decades ago, I can't see any new ones started from scratch, after Trump was elected. All these occupations/developments should have been stopped immediately, at the outset. 

Lets start with domestic woes created by Trump. His first act was signing an executive order aimed at reversing the Affordable Care Act and vowed to repeal and replace. Nothing came about right to the end of his tenure. Followed up with executive orders that include suspending immigrant entries from 7 Muslim majority countries. He ordered agencies to review any regulations that could potentially burden the development of oil and coal. 

On the global front, he was pulling out of the Intermediate - Range Nuclear Forces Treaty aimed to control Russia. Pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership which was meant to counteract China's economic power. Created a vaccum after US pulled out and China stepped in to creat RCEP. Who can forget his insistence to include Russia in the Group of Seven. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/nuclear-treaty-trump/index.html

• Like 2