Opposition set to file petition with Constitutional Court on the 8-year term limit of Prayut by mid-August

webfact

image.jpeg

By Erich Parpart

Opposition parties will file a petition to ask the Constitutional Court to rule on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s premiership term in two weeks, the opposition leader said.

Six opposition parties led by Cholnan Srikaew, leader of the main opposition Pheu Thai Party, said they will file the petition to House Speaker Chuan Leekpai to ask the court to rule on the premier’s term limit either on August 16 or 17, a week before August 24 when they believe Gen Prayut’s tenure should expire.

“The reason why we did not file the petition before this was because we were waiting for the most opportune moment and now, we have a conclusion on when that will be,” he said.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/42440/opposition-set-to-file-petition-with-constitutional-court-on-the-8-year-term-limit-of-prayut-by-mid-august/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-08-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Six opposition parties?

Actually, I believe there is only one that might be perceived as opposition - and some aren't really too sure about where they stand one way or the other. 

I do wish the gutless, and obviously hypnotized, media would stop suggesting that there are opposition positions within this vast political oligarchy that pretend to pass off as non-partisan.

It's called an "Opposition Coalition" where minority parties have diverse legislation objectives but do share some effective  parliamentary objectives such as preventing a quorum, no-confidence vote, etc. 

But the reality is that within Thailand's bicameral legislature, the military coalition has had in every aspect legislative control (since 1932). When it falters an MP, a party gets banned from politics, or there's a coup to reset the political landscape. In a "Thai-styled democracy" you play the hand you're dealt by the oligarchs. 

• Like 1

2 years would have been more than enough time to set up the transition he promised. 8 years has been enough to move the nation backwards on countless levels. The last thing Thailand needs is more rudderless and draconian leadership. Get out now! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Who will bet me?  I bet the PM will argue his 8 year constitutional term did not start until after he was voted in.  Not when the coup started.  Furthermore he will possibly argue that the coup happened before the current constitution of Thailand was written and approved.   Therefore supporting  his time started after the constitution,  and the election, appointing him as PM officially starting then.  Anyone else see that coming?

"did not start until after he was voted in."  Voted in???? Don't you mean appointed??

Appointed by other Generals and such.

4 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Who will bet me?  I bet the PM will argue his 8 year constitutional term did not start until after he was voted in.  Not when the coup started.  Furthermore he will possibly argue that the coup happened before the current constitution of Thailand was written and approved.   Therefore supporting  his time started after the constitution,  and the election, appointing him as PM officially starting then.  Anyone else see that coming?

He has got the soldiers and guns. So that's it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Not sure I want to bet, but here is an interesting Wikipedia excerpt on Thailand's coup and the events on May 22, 2014:

Date 22 May 2014; 8 years ago

Successful military and police takeover

It clearly says that on May 22, 2014 Prayut was endorsed as Prime Minister by the King.

Now, when the King says that Prayut is PM on that date I don't think Prayut has much legal wiggle-room here, given how much he and Phalang Pracharat proclaim to revere the King and the law, and so on and so forth... Still, he does have Wissanu...

Snakes are very good at wiggling/wriggling, particularly when it's played out in the snake's Court.????????

I said it before and will say it again....he's like a bad cold, hard to get rid off, him and his cronies will find a way around (to contour) the law....if and big IF he had any intention of leaving he would have schedule/set an election date, he hasn't done anything that led people to believe he's not interested on the " very lucrative" post

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Some might suggest that there's another coup in order.....sooner than later.

Kinda taken aback as to how too many still don't know how things work here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

The media could also stop suggesting that there is a Constitutional Court.

It is Cha-Cha's plaything.....er, Court.????????

Actually, the novelty plaything of someone else. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

If the court decides his tenure ends on August 24, I will eat my shoe.

By the way, if he is forced to resign, who will follow him up for the rest of the term?

I think it will be watchman, and I very much doubt that is an improvement.

All of which is quite moot, as this cleverly orchestrated sideshow has little to do with anything.

The usual theatre that many attach themselves to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...