POLITICS Trump says FBI raiding his Mar-a-Lago home

Scott

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

How about the FBI executed a legal search, complete with warrants, issued by the Justice department at former president Trump's home at Mar-a-Largo.

This of course is the truth, without being inflammatory or biased, as you obviously are.

Yes, there are various words you can use to describe the FBIs actions . 

"Legal search " or "raid" can both be used . 

Using the word "legal search" doesn't mean that is want a raid 

Raid : "a sudden invasion by officers of the law"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, there are various words you can use to describe the FBIs actions . 

"Legal search " or "raid" can both be used . 

Using the word "legal search" doesn't mean that is want a raid 

Raid : "a sudden invasion by officers of the law"

I’m good with raid.

FBI raid in pursuance with a lawfully issued search warrant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was saying that the raid would have had to have the agreement of Garland , he would have had to sign it off , Chris Wray the FBI boss also had a verbal public  conflict with Donald .

Both Garland and Wray would have been either behind this raid or in agreement with it , they both may have orchestrated it .

Its a possibility that the raid may have been political .

Lets wait and see what they find first though, before jumping to any conclusions .

Wait and see what they find first .

If they find nothing , both Garland and Wray will have some explaining to do 

Still walking back your initial ill informed post.

Though it’s not all bad news, you’ve demonstrated you can be corrected even if you struggle when it comes to admitting  you were wrong.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was saying that the raid would have had to have the agreement of Garland , he would have had to sign it off , Chris Wray the FBI boss also had a verbal public  conflict with Donald .

Both Garland and Wray would have been either behind this raid or in agreement with it , they both may have orchestrated it .

Its a possibility that the raid may have been political .

Lets wait and see what they find first though, before jumping to any conclusions .

Wait and see what they find first .

If they find nothing , both Garland and Wray will have some explaining to do 

That they agreed with the raid is not in question but it's irrational to consider they orchestrated it. They don't have any onus to produce the evidence they found and that would never happen before a criminal prosecution. You discount that they may have been acting on evidence and a complaint from the archives dept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

What word should I have used to describe Garland ?

He is the person whom the FBI need to obtain permission from before conducting raids . 

I did think calling him the "boss" was quite acceptable .

But which word should I have used instead ?

Lets face it, you thought that I was referring to Christopher Wray and you called me a liar and wrong and it turns out that you were mistaken.

How about Attorney General? or AG for short. Or maybe his name?

• Like 2

Just now, heybruce said:

Perhaps there are papers that give Trump leverage over other people.

Perhaps there are papers that would allow Trump to live in comfortable exile in some "friendly" country.

I'm sure if I gave it some thought I could think of other reasons.  It's not difficult to think of reasons Trump might want original documents and transcripts of the briefings and discussions that happened in the White House.

Trump's crime, if that's what it turns out to be, may simply be keeping classified documents he had no business keeping. This investigation doesn't have to be in furtherance of uncovering any other possible crimes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That they agreed with the raid is not in question but it's irrational to consider they orchestrated it. 

Do explain why its "irrational" that the boss of the FBI could have orchestrated a raid ?

Such a high profile raid would have had the involvement of the very top of the FBI , it wouldn't have been junior officers who were responsible .

Its a distinct  possibility that Wray orchestrated  the raid , far from being an irrational probability .

But, lets wait for the facts to emerge before making assumptions 

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Trump's crime, if that's what it turns out to be, may simply be keeping classified documents he had no business keeping. This investigation doesn't have to be in furtherance of uncovering any other possible crimes.

Agreed.  I was replying to a post that asked why Trump would keep classified documents in Mar-a-Lago.

Edited by heybruce

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

How about Attorney General? or AG for short. Or maybe his name?

I had just read a media report which contained the paragraph

Any search of a private residence would have to be approved by a judge. The search is also likely to have been approved by FBI Director Christopher Wray, a Trump appointee, and his boss, Attorney General Merrick Garland, who was appointed by President Joe Biden.

And thats the only info I had and I just used the word "Boss" , but next time I was use the words "boss, Attorney General Merrick" Garland,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I had just read a media report which contained the paragraph

Any search of a private residence would have to be approved by a judge. The search is also likely to have been approved by FBI Director Christopher Wray, a Trump appointee, and his boss, Attorney General Merrick Garland, who was appointed by President Joe Biden.

And thats the only info I had and I just used the word "Boss" , but next time I was use the words "boss, Attorney General Merrick" Garland,

Not only did it give his name but it also said "his boss" not "FBI boss".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What word should I have used to describe Garland ?

He is the person whom the FBI need to obtain permission from before conducting raids . 

I did think calling him the "boss" was quite acceptable .

But which word should I have used instead ?

Lets face it, you thought that I was referring to Christopher Wray and you called me a liar and wrong and it turns out that you were mistaken.

The FBI do not ‘need to obtain permission [from the AG] before conducting raids’.

Once again you let loose the fact of your lack of understanding what it is you are talking about.

I suggest you stop digging.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Not only did it give his name but it also said "his boss" not "FBI boss".

Although its all insignificant  to my point that the people at the very top gave permission for this raid .

I'll give in another go :" Christopher H Wray , head of the FBI , would have given permission for this raid , as would his boss , Attorney General Merrick Garland " 

Do you find that to be clear, understandable and correct ?

There's no confusion about who is the boss of who and what ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although its all insignificant  to my point that the people at the very top gave permission for this raid .

I'll give in another go :" Christopher H Wray , head of the FBI , would have given permission for this raid , as would his boss , Attorney General Merrick Garland " 

Do you find that to be clear, understandable and correct ?

There's no confusion about who is the boss of who and what ?

Of course there is no confusion over any of that.

It’s aligned with the corrections I and others made to your earlier ill informed nonsense.

I just don’t understand your difficulty admitting you were wrong.

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

4 pretty good years?

Anti-science approach to Covid, weakening NATO alliance, weakening Asia Pacific alliances, buddying up to autocrats, trusting Putin over his own intelligence agencies, only legislative accomplishment was a deficit exploding tax cut...

Oh yeah, and sitting on his butt watching television while a mob of his supporters were attacking Congress in an attempt to prevent certification of the Presidential election.

All rubbish but expected of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And if they don't find anything , find  no papers where they can prosecute Trump , if the raid was a pointless endeavour , then the FBI will try to keep that quiet as long as possible .

They will drag it on for years , making excuses to why they cannot release the papers or make a persecution

If, perhaps, maybe, possibly. All weasel words trying to find any excuse.

How about this for an If. It has the same value as your If.

And if they do find anything , find  many papers and documents illegally removed from the White House, they can prosecute Trump , if the raid was not a pointless endeavor, then the Trump supporters will try to keep that quiet as long as possible .

Trump's supporters will drag it on for years and still never believe one word of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do explain why its "irrational" that the boss of the FBI could have orchestrated a raid ?

Such a high profile raid would have had the involvement of the very top of the FBI , it wouldn't have been junior officers who were responsible .

Its a distinct  possibility that Wray orchestrated  the raid , far from being an irrational probability .

But, lets wait for the facts to emerge before making assumptions 

I don't consider that prospect to be at all likely, not even possible. It would have also required the connivance of Biden at that point. Contrary to what Trump kept saying, engaging in witch hunts is doomed to failure and they know it. Trump admits he still had the records, months after starting negotiation with the FBI. What's that about?

I think Occam's Razor has the answer here. The FBI felt they could not get the records by negotiation or subpoena so they came and got them.

If you want me to speculate about anything, I think some of those records relate to collusion with the Russians and Trump doesn't want to give them up to anyone. Then there's the Zelensky tape. If that's as alleged there's a fatal wound to Trump right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The FBI do not ‘need to obtain permission [from the AG] before conducting raids’.

Once again you let loose the fact of your lack of understanding what it is you are talking about.

I suggest you stop digging.

We are talking about this particular raid and the A.G signed this raid off.

He gave permission for this raid .

(YES, OK I admit I was wrong , I did use the word "raids" and I should have used the word "raid" to denote this raid in particular that we are talking about and it must have been confusing when I said "raids" instead of *raid* because it seemed like I meant all raids instead of the raid we are talking about )