Transfer extension stamp to new passport

On 8/11/2022 at 11:06 AM, DrJack54 said:

When I had my stamps transferred at CW (where they were issued)....no problem, however when I then went to reentry permit counter at CW they told me that they couldn't transfer my reentry permit as it was issued at DMK.

So for your experience at BKK CW, are you saying it was a two-step process?  First have to deal with transferring your extension of stay at that section, and then separately had to go to the re-entry permit section to get that stamp transferred as well?

It's been like a decade since the last time I had to do this at BKK CW... But my vague recollection of my experience long ago was that it was all done in one step at the extensions section and by the officers there...

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So for your experience at BKK CW, are you saying it was a two-step process?

Yes that is what happened with me.

I just checked now and I did that in 2016.

So the L desk transferred my visa information and perhaps last entry stamp etc.

They then sent me off to reentry permit desk and the io said words to effect....

This stamp from DMK you need go there.

No problem.....I just traveled with both pp.

At that time I was in out Thailand minimum once per month. 

The io (even at DMK) never directed me to reentry permit office to transfer reentry permit. 

Things change ...that is what happened at that time for me. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, DrJoy said:

I thought the page 2 of the document you linked above was pretty interesting -- an Immigration checklist of all the various photocopies they'll supposedly want as part of transferring stamps to a new passport.

My last time doing it was a decade ago, so I have little memory of the details back then. But when I go back to Immigration this week to request the stamps transfer to my new passport, hopefully now I'll be well prepared for any eventualities!  ????

1294765475_2022DocumentChecklistforTHImmNewPassportStampsXfer.jpg.8a54aaf10c399f4a2a930dd8ce1e83c3.jpg

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned being required to produce all of the above photocopies... ?

But those types of photocopies are pretty much the standard kinds of things Immigration often wants to see for almost everything, including blowing your nose!  ????

Note: my experience below involves a person on a retirement extension based on a supporting Thai bank deposit:

Just an UPDATE from BKK CW today, re the process of transferring one's extension stamps into a new passport, and it was a SHOCKER!

In addition to the list of required photocopies I posted in the prior post, all of which Immigration indeed wanted today, they also wanted to:

1] inspect my original Thai bankbook holding my 800K retirement extension deposit to make sure my balance hadn't dropped below the required levels;

2] have me do a print balance update of that bankbook today as part of my application, and

3] provide them with signed photocopies of all the bankbook pages covering the entire 1 year period of my current extension.

None of that pertaining to the bank info is listed anywhere on Immigration's own documents checklist (posted above) for getting stamps transferred into a new passport.  So I checked with the officer handling my application, and she confirmed it, and I later spoke with her supervisor there in English, who also confirmed it.

I couldn't quite get them to clarify if this was an old or new rule... But the supervisor told me, nowdays, if you are doing any business at BKK CW's L section where they handle retirement extensions, and your retirement extension is based on a Thai bank deposit, they're going to ask you for all three of the bank-related things above.

I asked them further, and they clarified that the bankbook update and related photocopies stuff will NOT apply if an extension holder based on a Thai bank deposit is going to BKK CW to do business at the 90-day report section or the re-entry permit section or any other sections. But if you're doing any business at the L extensions section, they said they will require you to produce the bank stuff.

Yesterday, in preparing for today's visit to BKK CW to get my stamps transferred to my new passport, I read a half dozen or so related threads on that general topic here on the forum, and I think there was only one poster (SooKee) who mentioned BKK CW requiring the bankbook update and photocopies as part of the transferring stamps to a new passport process.

My guess last night was that he was probably wrong about that, since pretty much nobody else had mentioned it in their various posts. But I figured I'd bring along my Thai bankbook holding my retirement extension deposit just in case. And I'm glad I did, because he was 100% correct about that. And if I hadn't brought my bankbook, it would have been a wasted trip and day out to BKK CW.

Two other detail issues that have gotten discussion in these threads:

1. As least for me as of today at BKK CW, there was NO FEE charged for transferring my Immigration stamps from my old passport to my new one.

2. And other than the bank info subject I've explained above, Immigration's documents checklist that I posted above is correct. They only wanted the photocopies of the most recent stamps for current extension, most recent entry, most recent visa, etc. -- and NOT photocopies of every used page from my old passport, which would have been a LOT of photocopies.

Hope the above is helpful and useful.

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

It's very helpful and a damn shame that these hurdles were put in place. 

Ridiculous requirements.

100% on that! I was going to try to explain to them -- but then figured it was hopeless -- that I've got to be back there at BKK CW next week to apply for a new extension of stay with my new passport.

And when I show up asking for the new extension, they're going to require me to produce all the same bank stuff all over again.. And the IOs there today would have known that, because they could see the same as me that my current extension will expire later this month.

So why they felt they needed to make me duplicate the exact same process again today, when they'd know I'd have to do it again within the coming two weeks anyway, is lost on me.... ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And when I show up asking for the new extension, they're going to require me to produce all the same bank stuff all over again.. And the IOs there today would have known that, because they could see the same as me that my current extension will expire later this month

In hindsight would have been best to do it when you went for new extension.

Years back when I renewed my pp, I traveled for months with both pp,s before attending CW to have info transfered to new pp. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

In hindsight would have been best to do it when you went for new extension.

Years back when I renewed my pp, I traveled for months with both pp,s before attending CW to have info transfered to new pp. 

I could have done that, do the stamps transfer AND the new extension on the same day, but I decided against it, for the following reason....

I usually ask my Thai wife to accompany me for the retirement extension process (which I'm very familiar with and have no doubts about), and she typically takes the morning off work once a year to do that....

And, since I wasn't entirely sure of all the stamp transfer requirements (having not done that process since 10 years ago), I decided I didn't want to run the risk of not having something Immigration wanted for the stamps transfer process that would have prevented me from doing the extension part, and thus wasting her time off of work.

And if I hadn't decided to bring along my Thai bankbook just in case, that's exactly would have happened today -- a wasted trip out to BKK CW for being unable to comply with a requirement that they don't seem to have made clear in the public domain.

At least this way, now, I can go back next week with the Thai wife, just do the new extension part, and be sure that we're not going to get tripped up with any complication relating to the new passport.

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought the page 2 of the document you linked above was pretty interesting -- an Immigration checklist of all the various photocopies they'll supposedly want as part of transferring stamps to a new passport.

My last time doing it was a decade ago, so I have little memory of the details back then. But when I go back to Immigration this week to request the stamps transfer to my new passport, hopefully now I'll be well prepared for any eventualities!  ????

1294765475_2022DocumentChecklistforTHImmNewPassportStampsXfer.jpg.8a54aaf10c399f4a2a930dd8ce1e83c3.jpg

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned being required to produce all of the above photocopies... ?

But those types of photocopies are pretty much the standard kinds of things Immigration often wants to see for almost everything, including blowing your nose!  ????

TG,

In late June 2022 I went to CW to transfer stamps to my new/renewed U.S. passport.   I'm on an OA based "marriage" vs retirement extension...I use the bank deposit method which only has to be up to Bt400K at least two months before extension renewal application....after extension approval the deposit balance amount can go to zero if desired. 

All they required was the items listed in your post above which is really just the Transfer form, a few pages from the old and new passports (every page not req'd; just the relevant pages), TM Arrival/Departure card, and the letter the U.S. embassy includes with the new passport. 

It took about 20 minutes to get done.  No fee...didn't want to see anything regarding bank info....didn't ask to look at bank book....didn't require copies of any bank book info.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

TG,

In late June 2022 I went to CW to transfer stamps to my new/renewed U.S. passport.

Thanks Pib!

Could be one of two things, I guess...

1. It's a new rule that didn't apply previously...

or

2. perhaps they're only applying it to retirement extension holders (such as myself) who rely on the bank deposit method, and not marriage extension holders such as yourself...

Because in your case, you can legally have your extension-linked Thai bank balance go to zero at times during the year while still complying with their rules.... whereas with retirement extensions, the person has to have at least 800K for some months and 400K for the other months, and never below that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks Pib!

Could be one of two things, I guess...

1. It's a new rule that didn't apply previously...

or

2. perhaps they're only applying it to retirement extension holders who rely on the bank deposit method, and not marriage extension holders such as yourself...

Because in your case, you can legally have your extension-linked Thai bank balance go to zero at times during the year while still complying with their rules.... whereas with retirement extensions, the person has to have at least 800K for some months and 400K for the other months, and never below that.

Yea....who knows....walking into an immigration office can often result in surprises.  In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle:

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the @SooKee post from 1-1/2 years ago in a related thread talking about encountering the same bank book and photocopies requirement at BKK CW as part of the transferring stamps to a new passport process. He also was on a retirement extension, I believe:

"Quick update on this.  Transferred my stamps to new passport at CW yesterday.  Bit more hassle than I thought it would be due to some running around because of admin errors but in short I ended up needing, in addition to both passports:

1) Letter from Embassy requesting Immigration to transfer the stamps

2) Thai Immigration stamp transfer application

3) Bank book updated to the day of transfer together with a signed copy along with signed copies of these pages..."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Couple other details of my BKK CW visit today:

--They're still requiring the COVID questionnaire form to be completed prior to entering the the building where they do NOT ask about your vax status, but DO ask about all kind of other COVID-related things in the prior week -- have you had any recent symptoms, have you been around COVID positive people, have you traveled internationally, have you tested positive, etc etc.

--Also, they are enforcing the face mask wearing policy in the Immigration offices at BKK CW.  While I was sitting inside there waiting for my queue number to be called, there were two other farang guys sitting nearby at various points who were NOT wearing face masks...  And in short order, one of the female IOs came up to each of them, and said 'MISTER!" and told them to put on their face masks. They also chided another guy who was wearing his mask below his nose.... So, come prepared!

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

When I last had stamps transferred I just traveled with both passports for many months flying out every month.

Did that to avoid trip to CW as not very convenient.

Had them transferred when time for extension.

Hopefully our man ubonjoe can clear it up..

Did you file a 90 Day report during that period, and if so how did you.handle it?

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Did you file a 90 Day report during that period, and if so how did you.handle it?

This occured prior to covid and during that first seven years in Thailand I never did a 90 report due to frequent travel.

Did my first ever 90 report after covid hit and we all grounded. 

I'm actually going to obtain passport renewal this year and given the bank book rubbish in this thread I will leave stamp transfer till same time as extension. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This occured prior to covid and during that first seven years in Thailand I never did a 90 report due to frequent travel.

Did my first ever 90 report after covid hit and we all grounded. 

I'm actually going to obtain passport renewal this year and given the bank book rubbish in this thread I will leave stamp transfer till same time as extension. 

I've thought of doing that as well.

Minimize the hassles.

Were you fined for each 90 Day report you missed, or do they just apply the fine once?

(If you only missed one - What about someone who goes to Imm. after not filing more than one 90 Day report?

Do they apply the fine for each one missed, or only charge it one time)?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Do they apply the fine for each one missed, or only charge it one time)?

Even if you miss several the fine is 2000 baht all up.

I will time applying for the passport renewal in window after doing 90 report obtaining new pp and then attending immigration for extension. 

• Thanks 1