Takeaways from the court hearing on releasing more documents from the Mar-a-Lago search

Scott

21 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I was taught religious instruction at school until the "teacher" banned me. We don't want religious instruction back.

I was taught then we don't want? Or the other way round?  

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I was taught then we don't want? Or the other way round?  

Religious instruction as a formal subject, taught part time by a priest,  was eventually scrapped by the authorities, possibly after that same year, mid 60's. The class I was banned from was year 8, first secondary year. We means most of us.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ullman said:

I dunno but go ask this person:

Who, why and what has your post or link it got to do with the OP?

A hint is in the title. 

Can you please try and join in the actual topic and not highjack it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ullman said:

Ok boss.

Majority see FBI as Biden’s 'personal Gestapo' after Trump raid

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/majority-see-fbi-as-bidens-personal-gestapo-after-trump-raid

More Republicans Have 'Very Favorable' View of Trump After FBI Raid: Poll

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/more-republicans-have-very-favorable-view-of-trump-after-fbi-raid-poll/ar-AA10Qf1S

Trump widens GOP lead after Mar-a-Lago raid: Poll

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/aug/15/trump-widens-gop-lead-after-mar-lago-raid-poll/

Trump is iconic, bullet proof and your next POTUS.

Welcome to ASEANnow.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ullman said:

Ok boss.

Majority see FBI as Biden’s 'personal Gestapo' after Trump raid

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/majority-see-fbi-as-bidens-personal-gestapo-after-trump-raid

More Republicans Have 'Very Favorable' View of Trump After FBI Raid: Poll

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/more-republicans-have-very-favorable-view-of-trump-after-fbi-raid-poll/ar-AA10Qf1S

Trump widens GOP lead after Mar-a-Lago raid: Poll

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/aug/15/trump-widens-gop-lead-after-mar-lago-raid-poll/

Trump is iconic, bullet proof and your next POTUS.

Rasmussen report......

What was the question? " Do you agree that there's “a group of politicized thugs at the top of the FBI who are using the FBI … as Joe Biden‘s personal Gestapo.” ????

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Trump files suit demanding special master

The filing also describes repeated contacts between Justice Department counterintelligence chief Jay Bratt and Trump’s legal team over the course of several months, including a phone call from the former to the latter at 9:10 am on Aug. 8 to inform them that “a group of FBI agents was at Mar-a-Lago to execute a search warrant.” The search, the filing says, lasted “approximately nine hours.”

Trump sought to portray his involvement with the Justice Department as cordial until the moment of the search but didn’t explain how boxes of material designated as highly classified remained at Mar-a-Lago after protracted discussions with investigators.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/22/trump-files-suit-special-master-mar-a-lago-search-00053196

Link to the full filing here:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.1.0.pdf

BREAKING: the new Trump court filing with its false recitation of facts (but without submitting any evidence to back them up) will allow DOJ to address all that they did to try to get docs back before having to resort to a SW. And the lies they were told and by whom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Link to the full filing here:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.1.0.pdf

BREAKING: the new Trump court filing with its false recitation of facts (but without submitting any evidence to back them up) will allow DOJ to address all that they did to try to get docs back before having to resort to a SW. And the lies they were told and by whom.

The story is now a New Topic ...

• Like 2

"The Republican Party has turned itself against electoral democracy."

On Tuesday, New York Times columnist Jamelle Bouie delivered a cogent rebuke of the hands-off argument and declared that "fear of what Trump and his supports might do cannot and should not stand in the way of what we must do to secure the Constitution from all its enemies, foreign and domestic."

His column followed opinion pieces in the Times by Damon Linker and Rich Lowry warning that the U.S. Department of Justice or others pursuing Trump could set a "dangerous precedent" and provoke future unwarranted probes of Democratic elected officials.

https://www.rawstory.com/let-trump-walk/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lemmie said:

The Trump Warrant Had No Legal Basis
A former president’s rights under the Presidential Records Act trump the statutes the FBI cited to justify the Mar-a-Lago raid.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-trump-warrant-had-no-legal-basis-mar-a-lago-affidavit-presidential-records-act-archivist-custody-classified-fbi-garland-11661170684

Looks like it is imploding again for the deep state losers. only a matter of time before Trump's in the Whitehouse, if he chooses so.

in the rear view mirror of the liberal loses Russia Gate, two impeachments, op hurricane x-fire, Jan 6, and don't forget how he wiped out the Bush's (Jeb beat down embarrassment) , destroyed hrc in 2016, owns a jet, hotels, golf courses and now owns L Cheney!

good work Bros.

It's filed under "Opinion"

7 hours ago, lemmie said:

The Trump Warrant Had No Legal Basis
A former president’s rights under the Presidential Records Act trump the statutes the FBI cited to justify the Mar-a-Lago raid.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-trump-warrant-had-no-legal-basis-mar-a-lago-affidavit-presidential-records-act-archivist-custody-classified-fbi-garland-11661170684

Looks like it is imploding again for the deep state losers. only a matter of time before Trump's in the Whitehouse, if he chooses so.

in the rear view mirror of the liberal loses Russia Gate, two impeachments, op hurricane x-fire, Jan 6, and don't forget how he wiped out the Bush's (Jeb beat down embarrassment) , destroyed hrc in 2016, owns a jet, hotels, golf courses and now owns L Cheney!

good work Bros.

The Presidential Records Act makes it clear that the President's records are government property.  Two lawyers are arguing that since the act does not specifically state that a former President can't keep this property that it's ok for Trump to steal the stuff.

Imagine if I were to squat in your house.  Would you accept the legal argument that even though it is undeniably your house and you want it back, the law doesn't specifically state that I can't squat in your house?

Sounds like BS to me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's filed under "Opinion"

A judge issuing a warrant is merely expressing an "opinion," also.

An opinion can be well-informed, poorly-informed, or completely uninformed.

Because of this, we cannot know the value of an opinion until we know how the person arrived at it-----what they considered......... and what they overlooked or ignored.

You, of course, are trying to use "opinion" as a perjorative. You're trying to dismiss it because it's, ahem, "just an opinion." [My words, not yours]

But the author[s] of the Wall Street Journal piece believe they have a basis  for having that opinion.......... (just like the judge believed there was a basis  for his, yes, opinion  that a warrant was justified!)

--------------

Personally, I think it's probably safe to assume you are incapable assailing the basis  for the proffered "opinion," since you stayed well clear of even mentioning it. Maybe you didn't even read it? 

Instead, you went for the perjorative: "Opinion!"............ hoping, I assume, others will dismiss it, accordingly.

Except opinions can be well-informed, can't they? They can be very well-informed! They can be very well-informed, as......... I hope........ the judge's opinion was, when he issued the warrant!

-------------

So.......... did you have anything you wanted to say about the CONTENT of the opinion piece, or, say, how the Presidential Records Act [PRA] does or does not apply to this situation?

Or were you planning to just dismiss it based on where  it happened to appear, rather than what it actually says?

---------------

(The above, of course, is "just" my opinion! lol)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

The Presidential Records Act makes it clear that the President's records are government property.  Two lawyers are arguing that since the act does not specifically state that a former President can't keep this property that it's ok for Trump to steal the stuff.

Imagine if I were to squat in your house.  Would you accept the legal argument that even though it is undeniably your house and you want it back, the law doesn't specifically state that I can't squat in your house?

Sounds like BS to me.

It is a general principle of law that everything is legal........ until there's a law that says it isn't. 

For example, Roe v Wade did not make abortion legal. It said the States could not have laws that made it illegal. Same with "gay marriage."

Yes, the effect is the same, but the circumstances are very different: There were LAWS that said you couldn't.......... then........ those laws got struck down! Then, suddenly, you could!

Generally speaking, if there's no law saying you can't.......... then you can!

And if there are two laws that contradict each other, it's the passive position that must win, not the aggressive position.

(Laws that are in opposition to each other......... have the same effect as there being NO law. The individual cannot be punished for being unable to read the mind of the judge who might eventually decide!)

31 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Because of this, we cannot know the value of an opinion until we know how the person arrived at it-----what they considered......... and what they overlooked or ignored.

You, of course, are trying to use "opinion" as a perjorative. You're trying to dismiss it because it's, ahem, "just an opinion." [My words, not yours]

But the author[s] of the Wall Street Journal piece believe they have a basis  for having that opinion.......... (just like the judge believed there was a basis  for his, yes, opinion  that a warrant was justified!)

--------------

Personally, I think it's probably safe to assume you are incapable assailing the basis  for the proffered "opinion," since you stayed well clear of even mentioning it. Maybe you didn't even read it? 

Instead, you went for the perjorative: "Opinion!"............ hoping, I assume, others will dismiss it, accordingly.

Except opinions can be well-informed, can't they? They can be very well-informed! They can be very well-informed, as......... I hope........ the judge's opinion was, when he issued the warrant!

-------------

So.......... did you have anything you wanted to say about the CONTENT of the opinion piece, or, say, how the Presidential Records Act [PRA] does or does not apply to this situation?

Or were you planning to just dismiss it based on where  it happened to appear, rather than what it actually says?

---------------

Ok but did the poster, who introduced this article, present it as an opinion?

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Rubbish. The judge has establish probable cause. While, strictly speaking it is an opinion it is substantiated. Exactly the same standard as we are required to meet here.

--------------

-------------

I dismiss nothing based on who said it unless it contains no evidence or can't be further supported.  This falls into that category. This is the single link I could find, an unsubstantiated opinion from a Murdoch source.

---------------

Edited by ozimoron