COVID infections on the rise in 44 provinces, over 30,000 new cases a day

snoop1130

Antobody-COVID-WHO_web.png

(Photo by Viktor Forgacs)

COVID-19 infections in 44 of Thailand’s provinces, including Bangkok, have been increasing, with an average rate of 31,148 cases a day between August 7th and 13th, according to Spokesman for the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.

The death toll, during the same period, was 236, most of whom were people over 60, those with underlying diseases and pregnant women. There were also 853 serious cases, including 436 on ventilators.

Dr. Taweesin said that he would like the public to continue to wear face masks while they are outdoors and among people, noting that not getting infected is the best means of protection.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-infections-on-the-rise-in-44-provinces-over-30000-new-cases-a-day/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

MOPH also released an interesting graphic today showing a breakdown of nearly 9,400 COVID deaths in Thailand since the start of the year, by vaccination status.

The unvaccinated accounted for the largest share of the COVID deaths on average at 56.1% for the entire period, followed by the vaccinated but not boosted at 35.5%, and then the vaccinated and boosted at 8.4% averaged over the seven-month period.

But the chart also shows a slight increase in the share of deaths among the vaccinated but not boosted comparing January vs. July, the latter month being when the more infectious and vaccine resistant BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variants become predominant.

The chart also showed a more significant increase over time in the share of deaths among the vaccinated and boosted, which went from just 1.1% of deaths in January to 20.2% of deaths by July, presumably also because of the newer more resistant variants and waning efficacy of vaccines as months pass post injection.

I can't quite tell from the TH language title of the graphic whether it's counting all Thai COVID deaths since the start of the year, or only those in the government's so-called "608" group (which would be most deaths anways) -- "608" being those age 60 and older along with any age people with any of 8 specified chronic health conditions.

714575403_2022-09-19THCOVIDDeathssinceJanbyVaxStatus.jpg.090001ca73124ce09728ddba05325c1a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/626391565645838/?type=3

Yes, from what I can see (I speak and read Thai at intermediate level) the Thai text says it's the "608 old-age group from January to July". An essential factor is the underlying health conditions (if any) of the said "old people", but if (as I suspect) this is missing then this graphic is just correlating "unvaccinated" and death, which would be biased and irrelevant.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I'm finding it very hard to believe it's only 30k per day, I wonder where they get this number from.

I would have expected something between 100 and 500k per day at the peak (which we may not have reached yet) in a country this size.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

FRankly, what does it matter how many are infected?

What matters is the serious cases and fatalities, this is written in the article and it seems to me little reason to live in fear. Mostly are elderly, non-vaccinated, with previous conditions.

Those who fall in these categories should be extra careful, the rest can carry on with their lives.

It matters because it's how we measure our progress through the curve of the current wave.

Are there only 30k cases right now because it's just getting started?

We don't know - that's why it matters.

In any case, there's no reason for fear at all.

• Like 1