Does a passport name change invalidate visas/extensions of stay ?

Hello,

As the title suggests I need, for personal family reasons, change my passport surname, my head is spinning with the possible consequences of changing my surname in my passport (thus obtaining a new passport reflecting my new name) whilst all my stamps are in my old passport which will have a different surname. 

Whilst this is an easy process UK side, I'm dreading trying to navigate this the Thai side. I think trying to get a new passport through VFS with a name change at the same time via a deed poll certificate is going to be too difficult and they don't have a help facility to ask them. It might not be but I just can't find any information on it despite hours and hours of trying.

So I was thinking of going back to the UK, changing my name onto a new passport but this would then mean I'm flying back to Thailand effectively as a different person name wise, though would keep both passports. Do you think they are going to be able to get their heads around that/is it something anyone else has done ? or do you think I'm heading for choppy waters or even worse have my visa and extension of stay cancelled and have to start from scratch ?

Best case scenario armed with both passports they say no problem, and transfer over my stamps, but am I dreaming now ?

Thks

This scenario is probably a first for Aseanow thread, so will be interesting on what replies you get.

My feeling is that it would be hard for them to understand, but with patience it would be achievable.

One point that may help. My Embassy will stamp/sign a personal affadavit, for certain things, that you may have lost/or don't have (ie: old school records for a WP etc). With an Embassy stamped affadavit (which sets out the name change scenario), it would probably carry more weight when explaining to immigration. Some of the supporting documents might have to be translated (but thats easy).

Will be interesting to see how you do...good luck

I think you will have to start all over again after doing the name change and a new passport while in the UK.

The problem would start when entering the country with a new passport and being stamped in with it.

Normally you would show your new and old passports to use your re-entry permit to enter the country.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you will have to start all over again after doing the name change and a new passport while in the UK.

The problem would start when entering the country with a new passport and being stamped in with it.

Normally you would show your new and old passports to use your re-entry permit to enter the country.

I think the problem is likely to start even sooner. Most airlines are not going to be happy with a re-entry permit in a different passport than the passport, in a different name, you are using for travel.

I am wondering if the UK passport office would agree to issue the passport under the new name without cancelling the old passport. You would then be able to return using the old passport. Subsequently, you could get a letter to Immigration from the UK embassy in Bangkok requesting stamp transfer to the new passport, explicitly referencing the name change. There are still uncertainties, but it would give a better chance, I think.

Thais change their surnames for lots of reasons, including hope for better luck, so the Thai system is well capable of handling it.

Immigration can handle passport changes in-country (I.e. renewals), but I doubt they can do it at the point of entry, even if the name is the same.

I strongly suggest to do the change while in Thailand, get a letter / entry in the old passport, that refer the old and new passports, and of course an official document confirming your name change.

Than go to immigration and move your stamps.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that in order to change a passport name , a Deed Poll certificate need to supported by other officially recognized documents showing your new name . Such as tax office correspondence . This is to ensure that the name change is a genuine intention to use the new name.

56 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is my understanding that in order to change a passport name , a Deed Poll certificate need to supported by other officially recognized documents showing your new name . Such as tax office correspondence . 

Not correct. My son changed his name a few weeks after arriving in UK with just a deed poll certificate from the internet and signed by the next door neighbour.

VFS  should be able to process the application .

Note the application is not for a renewal but a Name change and requires both supporting documents and evidence of use of new name. The documents should come from list 1 and list 2 of the guidance notes.

11 minutes ago, BlueScouse said:

Not correct. My son changed his name a few weeks after arriving in UK with just a deed poll certificate from the internet and signed by the next door neighbour.

The information comes from the official guidance notes

Applying for a passport from outside the UK: guidance notes (accessible) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by cleopatra2

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is my understanding that in order to change a passport name , a Deed Poll certificate need to supported by other officially recognized documents showing your new name . Such as tax office correspondence . This is to ensure that the name change is a genuine intention to use the new name.

No, the deed poll certificate is enough - I've already had this confirmed by the UK passport office. Though if VFS could process it that would be a godsend, would they even know what a deed poll certificate is ? I tried for a long time to get answers from them but a) there is nothing on the website, no online chat or even a help email. So I guess I might have to jump in the car and head into BKK and ask them face to face.

So thanks for the other answers, I didn't want to hear them but that's what I asked for. If VFS cannot process it, I think to make it clean and not get turned around/refused at an airport I will probably have to follow Ubonjoes advice and start everything from scratch. But then what would I come in on if my re-entry is in an invalid passport ? A tourist visa I guess. A massive pain but then life throws the odd curveball so just have to get on with it. 

I'm married to a Thai national and of course after all this she needs to change her name, imagine the look I got from her when I ran that past her!

VFS do not process anything. They are simply the conduit for passport applications from overseas. They check the submission for errors and completeness. If the standard online passport application/replacement/renewal form has all the check boxes needed for a name-change passport issue and you provide all the evidence and documents the Passport Office requires, VFS are obliged to accept it.

If the procedures you have researched would result in a new passport being issued in your new name if you applied personally in the UK, there's no reason that VFS can say otherwise.

I would be more interested in what challenges your local immigration office may throw up when you submit your old/new passports for transfer of visa/extensions or whatever long-stay entitlement you currently have. That may be worth checking out first? For example, they may need something ratified or endorsed by the Royal Thai Embassy in London which could throw a spanner in the works for a 'remote' application via VFS. In lieu of that, it may need a trip to the MFA in Bangkok but they may need to see some form of affidavit from the British Embassy in Bangkok. You may need to check if the British Embassy consular office here offers any of the required support in their ever-diminishing list of services.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

VFS do not process anything. They are simply the conduit for passport applications from overseas. They check the submission for errors and completeness. If the standard online passport application/replacement/renewal form has all the check boxes needed for a name-change passport issue and you provide all the evidence and documents the Passport Office requires, VFS are obliged to accept it.

If the procedures you have researched would result in a new passport being issued in your new name if you applied personally in the UK, there's no reason that VFS can say otherwise.

I would be more interested in what challenges your local immigration office may throw up when you submit your old/new passports for transfer of visa/extensions or whatever long-stay entitlement you currently have. That may be worth checking out first? For example, they may need something ratified or endorsed by the Royal Thai Embassy in London which could throw a spanner in the works for a 'remote' application via VFS. In lieu of that, it may need a trip to the MFA in Bangkok but they may need to see some form of affidavit from the British Embassy in Bangkok. You may need to check if the British Embassy consular office here offers any of the required support in their ever-diminishing list of services.

Good luck.

First 2 paragraphs I was floating on air, last paragraph walking through treacle ! 

Though I guess if VFS have already issued me a new passport, then immigration would have to suck it up, but if they really dug their heels in, then as before just have to start from scratch I guess.

I think it's pretty pointless running this past immigration as they've probably never come across something this specific before and are unlikely to give me accurate advice even though my local immigration office are actually good. I'm thinking VFS should be my starting point which is progress as this morning I was about to book flights to the UK to get it done, but now am doubting that's a good move.

55 minutes ago, SteveBull said:

No, the deed poll certificate is enough - I've already had this confirmed by the UK passport office. Though if VFS could process it that would be a godsend, would they even know what a deed poll certificate is ? I tried for a long time to get answers from them but a) there is nothing on the website, no online chat or even a help email. So I guess I might have to jump in the car and head into BKK and ask them face to face.

So thanks for the other answers, I didn't want to hear them but that's what I asked for. If VFS cannot process it, I think to make it clean and not get turned around/refused at an airport I will probably have to follow Ubonjoes advice and start everything from scratch. But then what would I come in on if my re-entry is in an invalid passport ? A tourist visa I guess. A massive pain but then life throws the odd curveball so just have to get on with it. 

I'm married to a Thai national and of course after all this she needs to change her name, imagine the look I got from her when I ran that past her!

I would be cautious of only using the deed poll. The  supporting documents table provided with application form ( for group 2 ) requires evidence from table D , the deed poll certificate. However at the top of table D it states that documents from table A are required.  

These if required would have to be in your new name to support the name change. 

Applying for a passport from outside the UK - Supporting Documents - GROUP 2 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Table D specifies that documents from table A need to show your name in current use.

Edited by cleopatra2

If you reckon your local immi office aren't a total bunch of shysters and oxygen wasters, while you are still here, why not go and ask? Just because nobody on this forum has come up with a definitive answer (yet), there's no harm in getting affirmation or otherwise from them on what's do-able. Otherwise, you may end up lying awake at night pondering, "What if?"

• Like 1

OK different.

When my Thai wife came to England, with a Thai passport in her maiden name, we went to the Thai Embassy, they added an endorsement stamp to her passport stating that she now wished to be known as ##### #######, had to prove marriage, etc., never had any difficulties after with flights or Immigration either end using her existing Thai passport with the endorsement.

Don't know if this is possible with a UK passport, but if possible would retain your stamps and passport no until such time as you need a new passport.

Just a thought.

6 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Thais change their surnames for lots of reasons, including hope for better luck, so the Thai system is well capable of handling it.

Immigration can handle passport changes in-country (I.e. renewals), but I doubt they can do it at the point of entry, even if the name is the same.

I strongly suggest to do the change while in Thailand, get a letter / entry in the old passport, that refer the old and new passports, and of course an official document confirming your name change.

Than go to immigration and move your stamps.

what you said for thai people is very correct BUT it is totally wrong for farangs.

they will not think like thai way. 

I know a British citizen who changed their name while in Thailand.

1. They completed an unenrolled deed poll while in Thailand. Cost zero, was generated from the internet for free and witnessed by two Thai people.

2. Applied for a new passport through VFS/Trendy in the usual manner. VFS staff didn't want to accept the unenrolled deed poll because it didn't look impressive and wasn't covered in stamps and seals. The person insisted it was sent, and their new British passport came back with their new name in it.

3. At the same time they got a colour photocopy of their uninrolled deed poll translated into Thai and legalised by the MFA.

4. Old passport, new passport, letter from VFS and legalised translation of unenrolled deed poll was taken to Chaeng Wattana and Non B visa and multi re-entry was changed over to the new passport. 

5. When leaving Thailand the first time after this the exit immigration officer asked to see the old passport as well as the new passport, but never since.

It can be done.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, blackcab said:

I know a British citizen who changed their name while in Thailand.

1. They completed an unenrolled deed poll while in Thailand. Cost zero, was generated from the internet for free and witnessed by two Thai people.

2. Applied for a new passport through VFS/Trendy in the usual manner. VFS staff didn't want to accept the unenrolled deed poll because it didn't look impressive and wasn't covered in stamps and seals. The person insisted it was sent, and their new British passport came back with their new name in it.

3. At the same time they got a colour photocopy of their uninrolled deed poll translated into Thai and legalised by the MFA.

4. Old passport, new passport, letter from VFS and legalised translation of unenrolled deed poll was taken to Chaeng Wattana and Non B visa and multi re-entry was changed over to the new passport. 

5. When leaving Thailand the first time after this the exit immigration officer asked to see the old passport as well as the new passport, but never since.

It can be done.

Extremely encouraging thanks. The only slight difference is I would get an enrolled as opposed to unenrolled else there's no point in doing it as only with enrolled does it go on public record. If it's not I can see the passport officer raising a red flag as to why not. 

But I agree the starting point seems to be VFS but maybe take a few deep breaths before going in !

10 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

I would be cautious of only using the deed poll. The  supporting documents table provided with application form ( for group 2 ) requires evidence from table D , the deed poll certificate. However at the top of table D it states that documents from table A are required.  

These if required would have to be in your new name to support the name change. 

Applying for a passport from outside the UK - Supporting Documents - GROUP 2 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Table D specifies that documents from table A need to show your name in current use.

Yep I agree it's very black and white what you say but I spoke to a real person last week who didn't even mention these lists, only to send in the deed poll form signed by two witnesses. I also got that confirmed in writing, the passport office are very good and reply in minutes each time I contact them. Sounds like others didn't adhere to it either. Perhaps that page is outdated, don't know.

1 hour ago, SteveBull said:

Extremely encouraging thanks. The only slight difference is I would get an enrolled as opposed to unenrolled else there's no point in doing it as only with enrolled does it go on public record. If it's not I can see the passport officer raising a red flag as to why not. 

But I agree the starting point seems to be VFS but maybe take a few deep breaths before going in !

By all means use an enrolled deed poll if it makes you feel more comfortable, however I have attached the Home Office guidance for name changes on passports, and you will be able to see on page 12 that the guidance states:

"Customers may also decide to change their name for other reasons and do this using:

• enrolled deed polls, unenrolled deed polls or change of name deeds
  • statutory declarations
  • acts of Parliament
  • affidavits"

It won't raise any red flags with the examining officer because it is explicitly allowed. Be aware though that if you are a permanent resident overseas you cannot use a deed poll to change your name. Unless you have applied for and received permanent residency in Thailand that probably won't apply to you.

Names_-_Change_of_name_passport_applications.pdf

Good morning

I was changing my Name from double name back to my Single family name. So I went to the foreigners Minister in chaengwatrana having translated and certifitied my birthday certificate with the revised name. For me that was all I needed to do.

Cheers

Roobaa01

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

By all means use an enrolled deed poll if it makes you feel more comfortable, however I have attached the Home Office guidance for name changes on passports, and you will be able to see on page 12 that the guidance states:

"Customers may also decide to change their name for other reasons and do this using:

• enrolled deed polls, unenrolled deed polls or change of name deeds
  • statutory declarations
  • acts of Parliament
  • affidavits"

It won't raise any red flags with the examining officer because it is explicitly allowed. Be aware though that if you are a permanent resident overseas you cannot use a deed poll to change your name. Unless you have applied for and received permanent residency in Thailand that probably won't apply to you.

Names_-_Change_of_name_passport_applications.pdfUnavailable

Thanks again - the main difference is enrolled changes all public records whilst unenrolled doesn't. Correct you can still get a new passport either way.

So if you have completely left your home country behind either version will be fine. However if you still have an address, in this case in the UK,  or say credit cards from the UK, and especially if you wish to apply for anything in your home country, open any accounts etc you will need to go down the enrolled route else the credit agencies/financial providers won't have any evidence of your name change outside what you provide them (which can be printed off and completed in seconds with Daffy Duck as your new name if you wish) Not being on the local electoral roll (only done with enrolled route) 99% of providers will not touch you. So yes whilst both can work, enrolled just adds a little more padding to the same process I believe.

16 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Good morning

I was changing my Name from double name back to my Single family name. So I went to the foreigners Minister in chaengwatrana having translated and certifitied my birthday certificate with the revised name. For me that was all I needed to do.

Cheers

Roobaa01

Hello, and then changed your passport and stamps etc ?

My birth certificate is all hand written, with various signatures, god knows how you translate that, but interesting. Also I'm assuming you had to inform the UK (assuming UK) authorities right ?

42 minutes ago, SteveBull said:

Thanks again - the main difference is enrolled changes all public records whilst unenrolled doesn't. Correct you can still get a new passport either way.

So if you have completely left your home country behind either version will be fine. However if you still have an address, in this case in the UK,  or say credit cards from the UK, and especially if you wish to apply for anything in your home country, open any accounts etc you will need to go down the enrolled route else the credit agencies/financial providers won't have any evidence of your name change outside what you provide them (which can be printed off and completed in seconds with Daffy Duck as your new name if you wish) Not being on the local electoral roll (only done with enrolled route) 99% of providers will not touch you. So yes whilst both can work, enrolled just adds a little more padding to the same process I believe.

Enrolling a deed poll complicates the UK side. 

In addition to the deed poll a declaration needs to be completed by a UK householder. 

A solicitor or commisioner of oaths  needs to witness the documents before being sent to the courts of justice.

The courts tequire evidence of British or Commonwealth nationality .  (in most cases this would be a pasdport)

6 hours ago, SteveBull said:

if you wish to apply for anything in your home country, open any accounts etc you will need to go down the enrolled route else the credit agencies/financial providers won't have any evidence of your name change outside what you provide them (which can be printed off and completed in seconds with Daffy Duck as your new name if you wish)

After you receive your passport in your new name visit this gov.uk site and register to vote. You will be asked about any name changes during the application. This will update your name in the electoral register. Credit reference agencies heavily use the unedited electoral register and will link your old and new name in this way. 

Immediately afterwards you then apply for your driving license. You will need to send the DVLA the original deed poll (which you will receive back).

You then have your two primary pieces of identification, ie passport and driving license. You then contact your bank, credit card company, etc. one by one and change your name on any existing accounts/services. 

This process will automatically update credit reference agency files.

If you enrol your deed poll your current financial providers will not automatically change your name. You have to apply to each provider individually. Here are the requirements from Santander, Capital One and Barclays.

Later, when you apply for a new financial product you will always be asked about previous names you have held.  You will also be required to provide identity documents from list A and list B, which would be your new passport (list A) and your new driving license (list B). Financial institutions will not ask to see your deed poll when opening a new account.

I'm not trying to talk you out of enrolling your deed poll, just pointing out the unenrolled method does work, and that you will be completing exactly the same process regarding your passport, driving license and financial products whether your deed poll is enrolled or unenrolled.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:48 PM, couchpotato said:

This scenario is probably a first for Aseanow thread, so will be interesting on what replies you get.

My feeling is that it would be hard for them to understand, but with patience it would be achievable.

One point that may help. My Embassy will stamp/sign a personal affadavit, for certain things, that you may have lost/or don't have (ie: old school records for a WP etc). With an Embassy stamped affadavit (which sets out the name change scenario), it would probably carry more weight when explaining to immigration. Some of the supporting documents might have to be translated (but thats easy).

Will be interesting to see how you do...good luck

Women change their  names when they get married. No big deal!

Some years ago, so may not be relevant now, i got new UK passport and old one was stapled to it with a note explaining that this had been done by UKPA as old passport had a valid visa (for China) in it.

When i got new UK passport in Bangkok, I was given a letter to local Thai I/O asking them to transfer my current retirement visas into new passport.  No problems with local I/O and no charge.

Any questions, I would visit VFS office in BKK as they were incredibly busy and I can't see the bothering with e-mail questions.

If you are changing UK bank accounts, make sure  you transfer the money from old account to new before you close the old account. 

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

The thread is not about Thai women name changes. Get with the program.

I am with the  program.  Western women also change their name when  they married.  The OP is a westerner.  My point is that the mechanism  for changing names on passports and other documents  exist as it is common. I bet your mother  changed  her name when  she got married.

8 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Enrolling a deed poll complicates the UK side. 

In addition to the deed poll a declaration needs to be completed by a UK householder. 

A solicitor or commisioner of oaths  needs to witness the documents before being sent to the courts of justice.

The courts tequire evidence of British or Commonwealth nationality .  (in most cases this would be a pasdport)

Are you talking about the UK ? or even deed polls ? because I'm sorry but none of that needs to happen. You print off the form, you get it witnessed by two people (not family) that's it. Everyone from the milkman to the taxman will accept that form. Some will insist on an original and not copy.

Anyone can call themselves what they like, when they like, as many times as they like, outside of the simple form there are no formalities to go through at all.

However we're probably straying from the point of the thread now.