Gras cutting machine?

Hummin

Our 3 year old gras cutter is dead, and Im not there at the moment, and father in law need a new one. He wants a 4 stroke.

Anyone have a good tip to a decent machine to get us through until Im back and can do a search myself. 

I can waste 2k for a machine as long it last until I can buy a replacement myself, but if anyone have good experience with a decent brand let me know. Honda is not an option, no local can get spareparts, and the shop is 86km away. 

Here is a few I found. 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.SQiJD

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.SQTrU

• Like 1

Those Laxada ones are Chines rip off Honda 's,at that price it should be OK .........for a short time,places like Home Pro sell them ,but where you can get them repaired I would not know ,I would say main problem would be the diaphragm in the carb going.  

You can get a Chines 2 stroke one for about 3500,a bit over your budget .a lot about and most locals can fix them ,the carb is the problem ,they do not like gashol fuel .

Anything half descent will cost you, I got a Mitsubishi  2 stroke good strimmer ,that was 4 years ago cost 6000,only last month I got a new set of rings and pistons, from my locale motorbike repair shop ,who also repair strimmers ,so they are repairable, have seen Stihl ,they are good ,on the net for about 7000.,I used them in the UK for a few years ,no problems.,

• Like 1

Great prices and over 1,400 sold.

Anything made in China is still better than anything made in Thailand IMOP. 

My Honda was really expensive, about 8000 baht.  It's still working. 

I know my because I see my brother-in-law using it all the time.  He borrowed it and I never got it back. That was 4 years ago. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Haha 2

I bought a 1800thb special from Thaiwatsado bout 2+ yrs ago, only use it bout one hr /week, still running. had it to the shop bout 3 times. My next one will be one of the 8000thb 4 stroke hondas.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

Send 4000 baht for a machine, it may then be quite a while before you have to replace it, also the machine bought locally will be easily fixed locally 

We have one must be 10 years old, works a couple of hours every day, not even sure of the make, its gets fixed for a few baht every now and then

Perhaps that is your though on the 2000, problem would be finding a local one at that price 

We did recently buy a back up reconditioned for 2k offer from a friend, has already required a new blade but is going well 

23 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Depends on what you mean by gras/grass cutter.  My grass is a lawn and I use a Makita lawn mower.

From the example links in the OP it  should be very clear that this is about a brush cutter not a lawn mover?

There are many nationalities who post on this site. We all need to be multi lingual or less pedantic ???? ????

Below could be a brush cutter 

spacer.png

Below could be a weedeater, a strimmer, or a whipper snipper 

spacer.png

It all depends from whence you came.

The OP gave an example of what he wanted so there cannot be any confusion????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

I find it very curious :      seems that all my tools, etc   last a lOT longer when i use them

then they do when someone else "borrows"  them .

hmmmmm?

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

He probably won't buy on Lazada but the local farm shop. Ask him how much they are?

I order and get what they need home to us, but agree a local bought machine might be the best thing, considering service, parts and repairs. 

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I find it very curious :      seems that all my tools, etc   last a lOT longer when i use them

then they do when someone else "borrows"  them .

hmmmmm?

He is working for us, cutting gras on the land for our sheep, and I find him good to take care of my things, and our (wife) farm and our animals. No bullpie from her family so far. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My next one will be one of the 8000thb 4 stroke hondas.

Honda GX35, BIL has one of these it's in use almost every single day to cut grass for his cows, he has it now for over 3 years and not a problem

Edit: And if something goes wrong with it, spare parts are easily available unlike the cheap copy ones

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Great prices and over 1,400 sold.

Anything made in China is still better than anything made in Thailand IMOP. 

My Honda was really expensive, about 8000 baht.  It's still working. 

I know my because I see my brother-in-law using it all the time.  He borrowed it and I never got it back. That was 4 years ago. 

"Anything made in China is still better than anything made in Thailand IMOP. "

You know nothing about textiles!

Name me some products made in China  that are superior  to Thailand

I have had Honda and Kawasaki powered brush cutters.  Honda much more reliable and locals appear to know how to repair them.

Noted that all Thai workers cutting grass verges use Honda, so probably proved reliable.

Spares?  local mechanic appears to be able to get parts from local shops in Phayao, so I have always assumed tha spares are easy for Hondas, but why go further afield to Honda if local shop has what you need.

I suspect that half the battle is knowing what the part is called in Thai

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robin said:

Spares?  local mechanic appears to be able to get parts from local shops in Phayao, so I have always assumed tha spares are easy for Hondas, but why go further afield to Honda if local shop has what you need.

I suspect that half the battle is knowing what the part is called in Thai

Tip, If you don't know the name of the spare part, just type in Honda GX35 into Lazada Search box and you find all the spares (approx 20 pages) you need. Then save the picture on your phone and show it to them ????

No experience with Honda, Makita etc.

Stihl is the only brand I would consider for a brush cutter. Expensive.

You get what you pay for, Stihl appliances can go for 15-20 years with minimum maintenance. OTOH, Chinese stuff will have anyone on first name terms with the repair shop owner, because they will be seeing each other quite often.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Stihl is the only brand I would consider for a brush cutter. Expensive.

Agreed, but the issue with a brand like that is where to get it repaired when something goes bad.

For example: I just couldn't say to my BIL, sorry to get your Brush Cutter repaired you have to send it to BKK to get it repaired and you will get it back in 1 week.

He needs it every day (when the season is there) and thus they go for a machine with Spare Parts readily available.

He had a copy of the Honda before he got the "real deal" Honda, and as soon as he started using the Honda, he said 2 things

- Wow quiet

- Doesn't use a lot of petrol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You know nothing about textiles

Are you talking about clothing? 

Textiles

textile

[ teks-tahyl, -til ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: textile / textiles on Thesaurus.com

noun
"any cloth or goods produced by weaving, knitting, or felting."

I get my XXL shirts in Pattaya.  There still looking good.  For 200 baht you can't beat it. 

Tools though, in general manufactured in Thailand tend to be of very low quality.  

Like there workforce, you get what you pay for, unfortunately. 

Edited by MrJ2U

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Are you talking about clothing? 

Textiles

textile

[ teks-tahyl, -til ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: textile / textiles on Thesaurus.com

noun
"any cloth or goods produced by weaving, knitting, or felting."

I get my XXL shirts in Pattaya.  There still looking good.  For 200 baht you can't beat it. 

Tools though, in general manufactured in Thailand tend to be of very low quality.  

Like there workforce, you get what you pay for, unfortunately. 

Textiles. You can assume that as I used the word I do know its meaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Agreed, but the issue with a brand like that is where to get it repaired when something goes bad.

For example: I just couldn't say to my BIL, sorry to get your Brush Cutter repaired you have to send it to BKK to get it repaired and you will get it back in 1 week.

He needs it every day (when the season is there) and thus they go for a machine with Spare Parts readily available.

He had a copy of the Honda before he got the "real deal" Honda, and as soon as he started using the Honda, he said 2 things

- Wow quiet

- Doesn't use a lot of petrol

My point is a Stihl has a very low probability of giving problems or needing servicing, although your point is valid as well.

It's a really good brand, although I suppose at some point the bean counters will get in there and screw up the products  in the name of the bottom line.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My point is a Stihl has a very low probability of giving problems or needing servicing, although your point is valid as well.

It's a really good brand, although I suppose at some point the bean counters will get in there and screw up the products  in the name of the bottom line.

In Thailand  you can get anything  fixed  anywhere. My motor sai work shop does lawn mowers, snake removals, belt buckle soldering, hammering things noisily

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

In Thailand  you can get anything  fixed  anywhere. My motor sai work shop does lawn mowers, snake removals, belt buckle soldering, hammering things noisily

You can get anything fixed anywhere, whether it stays fixed is a different question.

I am fortunate to have a good car mechanic and scooter mechanic in Chiang Rai. They've both been independents in the game a long time, most of the dealership mechanics don't know their a##e from their elbow.

• Thanks 1