Scammers are bombarding Thai customers with spam numbers

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

Over the past few weeks, many have been receiving calls from various numbers that start with +697.

It is very annoying and although you must not answer, the ringing goes on for over 60 seconds.

According to Thailand's Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DES), they say it is most likely a scam call centre trying to swindle you out of money.

If a number starting with +697 rings you, don't answer, as it can be extremely dangerous.

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry warned people against answering calls with the prefix “+697”, saying that the prefix was used by call-centre scammers.

The warning was made by DES spokesperson who explained that the +697 prefix was assigned to numbers based on IP (Internet Protocol) telephony.

They said that since IP phone numbers do not have to be registered with the authorities, call-center scammers tend to use them to make untraceable calls to victims.

As a result, the DES asked the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission and mobile phone operators to assign incoming IP calls with the +697 prefix to alert customers of the potential danger.
“To avoid being deceived, people should not answer such calls.”

The DES recommends that people who receive SMS messages or calls from suspicious numbers can tell their mobile phone operators to block them.

It has now happened to a colleague who wrote down the numbers that had tried to call them and called DTAC their phone provider. He was told to use his own phone to block these calls.

In view of the large numbers being affected, you would have thought that providers would be more proactive!!!

Scammers seem to be everywhere especially using celebrities to endorse products. You see a photo of a well-known international celebrity investing in a particular fund that can make you instant profits.

It is so obviously a scam it is surprising that Facebook with all its clout cannot stop them immediately.

Anyway having blocked the +697 numbers on his mobile it will be interesting to see if they stop calling.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Like 2

I get those calls all the time (I have a Thai number). Usually I answer and then just lay the phone down and let it run out by itself. Most of the time it's a recorded message that blabs away about some stupid stuff. But my wife tells me there are actually Thai people that fall for it in the news.

Then I get the occasional call with someone asking for my name in a very British accent, I just tell them it's not me, wrong number etc. That is always about investing in some retirement fund or something.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, happysoul said:

Answer and put the phone down. It makes them loose time so they cannot call another person. Once they hang up, blacklist the number.

Yes I answer them... but as soon as they start shouting at me in Thai I hang up!

I take all calls as most are legit ones. Grab drivers, Kerry delivering Lazada orders, or the dentist asking me to confirm my appointment for tomorrow. If it is a call centre I give my phone to my Thai wife who starts shouting at them until they hang up.

Edited by Roel
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Also 065 and 092. On the 20thAugust I got three in one day. Never answer anyone that's not in my contacts.

065 and 092 calls are something completely different from what the topic is about.

They are spam calls from local numbers.

The OP is about scam calls, from a foreign number.

Spam calls are difficult to avoid, unless you want to risk that you block your friend who just called you with his new number.

A call with a strange international prefix, is a different story, and easy to block without answering.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Not only Internet protocol numbers but during my days on Fiji, my overseas calls required the country code +697. Just for all those selected few who might get a genuine call from the South Sea ........

Fiji is +679, there is no +697 country code

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Not only Internet protocol numbers but during my days on Fiji, my overseas calls required the country code +697. Just for all those selected few who might get a genuine call from the South Sea ........

What they can do now is spoof your own country code/city code so you think it is actually in the country you are is at the time.    I get spam calls all the time to +1 808 - which is Hawaii, but might be someone in India...........best to answer, stay silent, it will hang up, then block the number............works for me.       Peace

• Like 1

My Missus has been constantly bombarded with calls saying she owes Money and to send Her payments now to avoid Court Action.

Before the " pot half empty brigade "  --- No She does not owe any Money 

All the numbers are withheld, so cannot tell where the calls originated

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I answer them... but as soon as they start shouting at me in Thai I hang up!

If possible it is always good just to wait for the person to start speaking...and then just give them a full blast of the stereo down the telephone line. Didn't call back ...must be my taste in music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get now also those crooked calls on a phone which I open not more than once a week and with only 3 correspondents for the LINE app :  how did the crooks get my number ...or werre my provider's data hacked and then sold ?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

If a number starting with +697 rings you, don't answer, as it can be extremely dangerous.

Answering any spam - scam or whatever call can not do any harm, as long as you have a functioning brain.

Edited by peterfranks
  • Like 2

I recall a couple of years ago when we first applied for an Australian Visa for my wife. Wife had a very persistent caller on her phone, that she didn't answer (using the "not in my contacts" logic). 2 days later we got an email denying the Visa, and one of the reasons was "un contactable"

As others have said, there are legitimate calls everyday, delivery people etc

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It has now happened to a colleague who wrote down the numbers that had tried to call them and called DTAC their phone provider. He was told to use his own phone to block these calls.

In view of the large numbers being affected, you would have thought that providers would be more proactive!!!

"..you would have thought that providers would be more proactive!!!

Why, when not every organisation or individual that uses IP phone systems is a scammer?