Bangkok: Aim to get 100% of school kids to wear helmets - 50K prize - but what about helmet quality?

webfact

I remember police a few years ago trying to get school kids to wear helmets when riding their bicycles to and from school in Queensland (it is the law).  Asked why they didn't the most given answer was "it wasn't cool".

Fat chance of getting it to happen here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Chadchart Sittipunt

Make this man PM. 

Why? all he's done so far is had a nice photo shoot.

They've been talking about the helmet wearing for many years.

Sad as it may be can't see it happening in the provinces.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, proton said:

what about stopping those who are underage with no licence from even ridding a bike to school?

Exactly, many of them not even old enough.

It's very dangerous, they've no idea how to position themselves on the roads and with most of the nation driving so fast everywhere, well, we know how it ends......

Nothing changes.

16 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

They've been talking about the helmet wearing for many years.

Sad as it may be can't see it happening in the provinces.

Why? You said it yourself, they've been talking about it for many years at least now they are doing something about it........jeez

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why? You said it yourself, they've been talking about it for many years at least now they are doing something about it........jeez

OK, let's see what happens then......

Send me a photo when you see all the helmets in use..........lol.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Maybe a joke to you but if it saves a few kids lives in Bangkok its all been worth it

Not a joke at all.

I hope it's a success and i see all children with these helmet but, well, i've been here a long time and heard a lot of great plans, most of which never came to fruit after the press and pretty photo shoot tp promote one politician or another..

• Sad 1

Just now, PJ71 said:

Not a joke at all.

I hope it's a success and i see all children with these helmet but, well, i've been here a long time and heard a lot of great plans, most of which never came to fruit after the press and pretty photo shoot tp promote one politician or another..

If you hope its a success then look out yourself for kids wearing them why ask me? Especially since I live in Phuket. There seems to be more than a photo shoot going on here by the way:

"Chadchart said that so far 255 schools had received 56,555 of the smart looking green helmets."

"several companies and organisations is providing 126,117 helmets to children in the capital."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN NOW notes that the Daily News article did not mention the quality of the helmets. 

In pictures published by the media there appeared to be two styles - one with a visor that covered most of the head and one just propped on the top of the child's head. 

Why would AN be cynically and negatively suggesting that they were, perhaps, unsafe in an otherwise very positive article?

"one with a visor that covered most of the head and one just propped on the top of the child's head".

No, that's incorrect.  In the photos in the link, none were "propped [sic] on the child's head", all the helmets were being worn fastened as they should be. 

3 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Back when I rode a motorcycle I wore a full-face Bell helmet, which was probably the best that you could get in those days.  However, I recall reading a study that showed that while there was a measurable difference between the protection offered by a really good helmet and a cheap helmet, the difference was very slight compared to the difference between any helmet and no helmet at all.  So even wearing a cheap, low quality helmet will make a huge reduction in fatal or serious injuries.

Absolutely,  Asean Now should "note" (as it is so fond of doing) that.

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you hope its a success then look out yourself for kids wearing them why ask me? Especially since I live in Phuket. There seems to be more than a photo shoot going on here by the way:

"Chadchart said that so far 255 schools had received 56,555 of the smart looking green helmets."

"several companies and organisations is providing 126,117 helmets to children in the capital."

It's you that seems to be getting bent out of shape about it but when (if) i do see the green helmets in use i'll be sure to send you a photo.

In the meantime, i hope you have a great day.

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's you that seems to be getting bent out of shape about it but when (if) i do see the green helmets in use i'll be sure to send you a photo.

If you say so.............

42 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

OK, let's see what happens then......

Send me a photo when you see all the helmets in use..........lol.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

who travel to and from class by motorcycle to wear a helmet. 

What about school children who have to use a pedal cycle to get to school??

Here in Siem Reap (Cambodia) many pupils and students wear them. There are more pedal cycles than motorbikes amongst the school kids.

Ending poverty in Cambodia: Giving children a chance to return to school

https://blogs.worldbank.org/eastasiapacific/ending-poverty-cambodia-giving-children-chance-return-school

1 hour ago, pattjock said:

Every school should have someone at the gate checking that all drivers have a valid drivers license, everyone is wearing a helmet and no more than two people on a bike

Yeah, like the police - lol.

19 hours ago, PJ71 said:

wrong.. he started with flooding issues, and other things.

Now he's trying to sort out the roads.. which ole fatty toad hasn't achieved in 8 years.

I was cycling past a chiang mai high school the other day in the afternoon when the children were leaving. A policeman was directing the traffic as the unhelmeted kids came out of the school on their motorbikes. The police, the kids, the parents and the school, I guess don't perceive any danger.