Woman, 54, gets locked in her bathroom for three days - writes farewell message on the wall before rescue

webfact

1 hour ago, Chaspul said:

It is ñot the lock but a thinned metal connecting between handle and tapered flange that fit in door jambe. 

This break and you are locked in.

Seen 3 cases  in past 14 years.

Only way to free is to force and prise from door jambe.

Have written to company (no name) that lock should be fitted from outside using key they provide. So can be disassembled from outside.

No response from company.

I had a similar problem earlier this year when I wanted to use the toilet. The handle was turning but the lock tongue wasn't. I went down to my workshop and came back with several screwdrivers. The big FO one did the trick.

Now we use a simple bolt system. The door is cheap and flimsy so a good kicking would push out the slats. There is rarely anything in a toilet to use to break out with.

My neighbours toilet is a good sturdy wooden door (handle the correct way around) and if locked in it would be a hard job to break out of it.

6 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I do feel bad for the woman though.  Glad she is ok,  I’m wondering if anyone actually did hear her screams and did nothing

I thought the same thing.  Maybe the old Thai "don't get involved in anyone else's business" meant that a woman's screams coming from a house were quite normal and generally ignored.

It might be more likely that the bathroom didn't have a window, as they explained that she was deep inside the house.  A bit weird but it does happen.

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Of course, the British Police would nt go all the way to her house in Thailand  to rescue her 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/21/neighbours-of-woman-found-dead-in-london-raised-concerns-for-two-years

They left one woman 2 years just  reported  recently in the  papers.  Neighbours  reported the smell for months. However, perhaps  if the woman had been reported  for hate (non) crime they might have been more active. Of if they had thought she was attractive she might have got a visit.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They left one woman 2 years just  reported  recently in the  papers.  Neighbours  reported the smell for months. However, perhaps  if the woman had been reported  for hate (non) crime they might have been more active. Of if they had thought she was attractive she might have got a visit.

Your constant Brit bashing is likely to get yourself into trouble 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

But after finishing her business she was unable to get out. The door had always been like that with the knob on the outside.

The knob should always be on the inside... according to my missus.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:28 AM, JeezeLooeze said:

This incident reminds me of the time I popped outside my condo front door to get rid of a bag of garbage. I also live alone and in the brief 10 second time I was outside my condo a gust of wind came in from my condo balcony door and slammed my condo front door shut. The lock mechanism wouldn't allow me to open it without a key -which I didn't have with me. This wouldn't have been so bad as it just meant waiting around for a locksmith to come. The worst part was that I was only dressed in rather revealing underwear, expecting to sneak out and back to the garbage room without anyone seeing so no need to get fully dressed. Without my mobile phone I was forced to go down to lobby reception and organize a locksmith only to be met with the staring gaze of all and sundry passing through! No threat to life and limb as in this story but I could have died of embarrassment! Lesson learned: have key and dress modestly at all times!! 

lucky no one recorded you and posted it....you might have been on this forum

On 8/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Funny thing is she lived alone, the poor darling, why would she need a lock on her bathroom door.

I live in a house with 6 family members, when I use the bathroom, I lock the bedroom door, and leave the bathroom door open.

That's sad.  Can't trust your own family?  Hummm

• Confused 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, webfact said:

Capt Charnchai advised her to seek hospital treatment as she hadn't eaten for three days.

I do three to five day water fast a few times a year.  The only thing she needs to know is - don't eat a full meal!
She'd be right back in the bathroom again.  She'd end up with a condition called "Disaster Pants" in the fasting community.  Use your imagination.  As far as 'seek hospital?'  After a three day fast she is probably healthier then when she locked herself in.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

That's sad.  Can't trust your own family?  Hummm

With young girls in the family, I would think it only natural for a father to take the necessary steps to not to expose his daughters to the wiggly wiggly monster on him in the bathroom, children do wander you know, and that is exactly what had happened about 23 years ago when one of my daughters from a previous marriage was 2 years of age, she entered my bedroom looking for me, and of course I was in the bathroom shampooing my hair, door open, when all of a sudden she let out a loud screeching scream, unbeknownst to me that she was there as I had my eyes closed while shampooing my hair. Poor thing was traumatised, ran straight to her mummy and said daddy has a wiggly wiggly monster stuck on him in the bathroom.

I entered the living room moments later still wet with towel on wandering what happened, and when her mum explained, we couldn't stop laughing, and I told mum that it was time to explain to her the difference between the female and male parts which she did, although she was only 2, whether she got it or not, I don't know, but that won't happen again, besides my daughter are over 5 and under 14.

Nothing to do with trust, more so cautiousness. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:50 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Damn, if I got locked in the bathroom, I would just keep writing my weight on the wall after having bowel movements, water from the sink will keep you hydrated. I would have taken a long jacuzzi tub soak, and then used my towels to make pillows with for sleeping. If hungry I could eat the toothpaste, and if I wanted to get tipsy well maybe drink the mouthwash, as long as it contained alcohol.

check the medicine cabinet as well