The "let's be friends" scam (live from Pattaya)

Baron Samedi

2 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

When someone wants to know every single detail of your stay, your name and your phone number, there is more to it than just "friendly". Imo anyway.

As said earlier, maybe he really liked you lol

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It would be unusual for another foreigner to be getting commission for bringing in a customer.

Why? Let's say you're in the business of organizing pool parties in luxury hotels or something like that. Wouldn't you hire a team of guys to run around Pattaya to "invite" people to your event?

Honestly I'm pretty sure you'd find many of these schemes out there today if you wanted to. A guy on the bus, a guy at the beach, a guy at the swimming pool, a guy at the pier, a guy at you name it.

My memories are a bit fuzzy but if I remember well Russians were very much into this at some point, weren't they?

6 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Why? Let's say you're in the business of organizing pool parties in luxury hotels or something like that. Wouldn't you hire a team of guys to run around Pattaya to "invite" people to your event?

Honestly I'm pretty sure you'd find many of these schemes out there today if you wanted to. A guy on the bus, a guy at the beach, a guy at the swimming pool, a guy at the pier, a guy at you name it.

My memories are a bit fuzzy but if I remember well Russians were very much into this at some point, weren't they?

Sounds far fetched to me in Pattaya, but I guess it's possible.

Many people feel nervous about being in a foreign country so they will set themselves up as a big brother, expert or advice giver and kind of seek out newbies who look up to them. It comes across as strange if your used to a location where that does not occur.

• Like 1

I have had similar occurrences. One was a white guy who started talking to me while we were sitting at a bar eating breakfast. All the same questions as i  the OP. He was clearly looking for a newbie so he could feel like a god when he doled out his wisdom. He soon figured out I knew more about I knew more about what was going on than he did and left me alone.

Interestingly enough, I rented a townhouse in the area and one of my neighbors wouldn't do anything without approval of the breakfast bar guy. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Many people feel nervous about being in a foreign country so they will set themselves up as a big brother, expert or advice giver and kind of seek out newbies who look up to them.

The guy was a self-proclaimed expert knowing everything about bars, pubs, gogos, massages, etc... Why would a guy like that be nervous about being in Thailand when he comes here every year or so? I don't know, man. You might be right but I'm pretty sure you ain't.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, Baron Samedi said:

The guy was a self-proclaimed expert knowing everything about bars, pubs, gogos, massages, etc... Why would a guy like that be nervous about being in Thailand when he comes here every year or so? I don't know, man. You might be right but I'm pretty sure you ain't.

Nervous was probably the wrong word I used. It's more like insecurity. He can be confident and outgoing, but he is insecure.

Pattaya is filled with people with problems. You will learn to see that the harder you look under the surface. Under the bright lights, cheap thrills and drinking is a lot of shady stuff about why people wash up here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...