Converting from Visa exempt (with Covid extensions) to Non-O Marriage

Hi, as per title, is there a "best way" to do this?

Currently, Thai bank account has less than 800k baht.

My plan:

Get single entry Non-O from Savannakhet.
Then season 800k in a Thai bank for 90 days, and get a 1 year marriage visa/extension at Thai immigration office.

Thank you

For non O based on marriage you need 400k in bank on day of application.

Obtain your non O at immigration in Thailand.

That gives a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days with the 400k having been in bank for 2 months obtain a 12 month extension.

No need to exit Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

For a non-o visa or the extension of it you only need 400k baht in a Thai bank if applying based upon marriage to a Thai.

Requirements for the non-o visa application at immigration is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

When applying for the one year extension based upon marriage the 400k baht needs to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers.

Unfortunately I have left it late and I don't have 15 days until my current stamp expires.

I could do a border bounce and get another visa exempt entry, which I believe would give me 45 days.

Then I could use that time to prepare for the non-O visa.

Does that sound like a sensible plan?

Thank you again, greatly appreciate your time and help here.

Edited by carbuyer

5 hours ago, carbuyer said:

Unfortunately I have left it late and I don't have 15 days until my current stamp expires

Have you obtained standard 30 day extension to visa exempt entry? 

Edit: just noticed you have had covid extensions so must already had 30 day extension.

If have used 60 day extension to visit wife then easiest border bounce for 30 day visa exempt would be an option

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, carbuyer said:

Unfortunately I have left it late and I don't have 15 days until my current stamp expires.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife if you have not applied for one since your last entry to the country.

• Like 1

I got the extension you suggested, thank you.

I just want to report that, in addition to the documents listed on the website, Jomtien office wanted:

-Both Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3 as proof of marriage  (Kor Ror 2 requires a visit to local gov office in North Pattaya and 40 baht, took 40 mins there and back, but only 15 mins to do)
-They also wanted to see scans of landlords ID and house book.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 4:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

For a non-o visa or the extension of it you only need 400k baht in a Thai bank if applying based upon marriage to a Thai.

Requirements for the non-o visa application at immigration is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

When applying for the one year extension based upon marriage the 400k baht needs to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Hi Joe, coming back to this comment:

When applying for a marriage visa (not the 1 year extension, I mean applying the first 3 month non-O based on marriage visa) do the funds need to be in the account for 2 months already? Or just on the day of application?

1 minute ago, carbuyer said:

Hi Joe, coming back to this comment:

When applying for a marriage visa (not the 1 year extension, I mean applying the first 3 month non-O based on marriage visa) do the funds need to be in the account for 2 months already? Or just on the day of application?

Day of application.

• Like 1

Strange...

Because I deposited 400k into my account today.

Went to immigration with all my docs.

The immigration officer chewed me out for expecting to be able to get the visa without the funds being in my account for 60 days.

She said the funds had to be in my account for 60 days prior to application.

I showed her the checklist from government site, she just got more angry for talking back to her. I was very respectful, I always am in immigration. She's crazy. She said she can remember me arguing with her before (I've never met her before in my life).

Edited by carbuyer

19 hours ago, carbuyer said:

Some other mods here are saying it needs to be held in the account 2 months prior to application, I'm a bit confused. Especially as the Thai gov website makes no mention of it being held for 2 months.

If you're applying for the Non O at Immigration, the 400K is only required to be in the bank on the day of submitting the application.
VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

Read 7.2
7.2 A letter of guarantee in Thai language from the commercial bank in Thailand (Attention: Immigration Commissioner) and copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a saving or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 400,000 ** (Documents under 7.1 and 7.2 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

When they issue the Non O you will be granted a further 90 days permission of stay.

When the 400K THB has been in your account for 2 months, you can then apply for the 1 year extension of stay.

327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 
Clause 2.18, item 6.
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

• Like 1

This is the document I (very politely and gently) showed to the immigration officer, asking if it was correct.

She got very angry and was practically shouting at me, saying they have been an immigration officer for 8 years, how dare I talk back to her and tell her how to do her job. I want to emphasise that I'm used to dealing with people like her in Thailand. I did nothing to set her off.

She insisted that there was no way to get a Non imm visa at immigration without having the funds on account for at least 2 months. She denied me the visa, and it is now too late to get it.

This was at Jomtien immigration. I spoke to the older woman with glasses in the small office at counter 7.

This is a problem.

10 minutes ago, carbuyer said:

This is the document I (very politely and gently) showed to the immigration officer, asking if it was correct.

She got very angry and was practically shouting at me, saying they have been an immigration officer for 8 years, how dare I talk back to her and tell her how to do her job. I want to emphasise that I'm used to dealing with people like her in Thailand. I did nothing to set her off.

She insisted that there was no way to get a Non imm visa at immigration without having the funds on account for at least 2 months. She denied me the visa, and it is now too late to get it.

This was at Jomtien immigration. I spoke to the older woman with glasses in the small office at counter 7.

This is a problem.

Sadly you can't avoid dealing with numbskulls.

She is wrong but that doesn't help you.

You could obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife (if you haven't used that as yet) 

If it was retirement you could just obtain the non O at another province however with the house visit (marriage) etc you might be best off with the 60 day extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

It's so strange though. She must have known the truth.
She just flipped a switch in her head as soon as I stepped in and wai'ed her. "Nope, he's not getting a visa today"

Or maybe it was something to do with the alternative solution she offered, that would have cost me 15,000 baht.
I assume they're not on commission, right?

I have been in Thailand for 10 years. I have seen my fair share of numbskulls in official offices here.
She was the worst experience I've ever had here, by far.

I walked in with a legitimate visa application and was more than polite.
Got shouted at for no reason.
Application refused.

An application for a father to stay in the country and support his children and family... I could be facing deportation if circumstances were different. It's insane.

As it stands, I will be getting the 60 day and returning with statements later, as you say, thanks.

Thank you for listening to me rant too, lol

Edited by carbuyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1