Expired Por Ror Bor for 2 years

ExpatO

Hello,

I left Thailand when Covid hit's and now my Por Ror Bor is expired for 2 years. What would happen if caught driving with the car ? We need to drive it to I renew the document, it’s a 5km drive in Bangkok and I’m a bit worried what can happen if stopped by the police.

Thanks.

Edited by ExpatO

Who's "we"? If you are risk averse, let the Thai partner do the trip? Especially if they've been using the car without the mandatory insurance minimums in your absence.

Anyway, the chances of a traffic check or a prang within those 5 km must be as high as winning the lottery, no? If it's just a traffic check, it's just a ticket. So you either pay the fine on the spot or surrender your license and get a ticket, go get the insurance and then go back to the issuing police station with proof of insurance and get your license back?

I would be more worried about your delinquent road tax unless "we" have been taking care of that in your absence.

The car was parked for 2 years in a secure building. I'm not going to do the driving but a thai person is. Just wondered what would happen. Nobody has driven the car since I left it there. First stop is the Por Ror Bor place which is not really far.

3 hours ago, ExpatO said:

The car was parked for 2 years in a secure building. I'm not going to do the driving but a thai person is. Just wondered what would happen. Nobody has driven the car since I left it there. First stop is the Por Ror Bor place which is not really far.

They give you a ticket, no big deal 500-1,000 baht, but you'll have to be very unlucky to be stopped, just go there and get the tax

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExpatO said:

Get a taxi and get your CTPL first if you're bothered.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Get a taxi and get your CTPL first if you're bothered.

This...    there is no need to go to the DLT with the car.. 

Just take the Blue registration book to the DLT and buy the Por-Ror-Bor....  

You’ll also have to pay the tax for the last couple of years

EDIT:  You mentioned your car is 2011... so it will need to be inspected before you can tax it and get the Por-Ror-Bor etc... 

A bit silly being forced to take an uninsured car on the road... but well, TiT !!!... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ExpatO said:

What would happen if caught driving with the car ?

Very little....   I got caught without Tax a number of years back (got the wrong month of renewal). 

I gave the police officer 100 Baht and drove off while he was still asking for 200 Baht !!!.... 

I went straight to the DLT......   

The chances of being stopped while driving to the DLT are minute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

EDIT:  You mentioned your car is 2011... so it will need to be inspected before you can tax it and get the Por-Ror-Bor etc... 

Drive to the nearest inspection shop and let them handle to whole stuff (test, PRB, tax payment/sticker). No riding around for insurance and DLT for tax/sticker.

You can use a taxi to pick up the paperwork, blue book and sticker at the test station if you want to minimize any risk. Usually next day.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This...    there is no need to go to the DLT with the car.. 

Just take the Blue registration book to the DLT and buy the Por-Ror-Bor....  

You’ll also have to pay the tax for the last couple of years

A bit silly being forced to take an uninsured car on the road... but well, TiT !!!... 

you can buy the compulsory insurance without driving the car, any testing station will supply it. and online insurance companies, i personally as a non Thai would not drive without some sort of extra insurance class1, 2 2a or 3, who would also do the compulsory insurance about 600ish baht extra

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:41 AM, ExpatO said:

First stop is the Por Ror Bor place which is not really far.

why don't you use English, instead of using the Thai title, this is, after all, an English language forum.  Not all on here know what you are talking about, including me, until I figured it out.  You don't do yourself any favours asking advice when you try to be too clever. Too much of this goes on on this forum.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

why don't you use English, instead of using the Thai title, this is, after all, an English language forum.  Not all on here know what you are talking about, including me, until I figured it out.  You don't do yourself any favours asking advice when you try to be too clever. Too much of this goes on on this forum.

In the time it took you to post this, a Google search using Por Ror Bor would have supplied you with the answer.

You can do it via most insurance companies/agents online.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You can do it via most insurance companies/agents online.

As the car is over 7 years old, it needed to be inspected before it could be taxed. 

The tax needs to be shown to purchase the Por Ror Bor. 

Effectively, the Por Ror Bor and Tax are obtained together.

----

Online works for vehicles younger than 7 years. 

In this case the Por Ror Bor can be purchased along with the Tax.

OR, the Insurance broker can do all when renewing 1st Class insurance. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

As the car is over 7 years old, it needed to be inspected before it could be taxed. 

The tax needs to be shown to purchase the Por Ror Bor. 

Effectively, the Por Ror Bor and Tax are obtained together.

----

Online works for vehicles younger than 7 years. 

In this case the Por Ror Bor can be purchased along with the Tax.

OR, the Insurance broker can do all when renewing 1st Class insurance. 

Incorrect. The Por Ror Bor is part of your insurance policy and must be bought BEFORE taxing the vehicle.

My insurance is due in July on the anniversary of my taking it new from Toyota. However the road tax is due in August on the anniversary of getting the plates.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Because I don't know the name of Por Ror Bor in english... I thought it was like a thai kind of form or something, never knew until now that it was just an insurance.

• Like 1