Reception at Suvarnabhumi immigration for Filipina

30 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I have seen a similar thing happen in Singapore, when Thai girls or Filipinas  try to enter at immigration.

That is a little sad. What I used to observe years ago is that young Thai women entering without visas would be given a 30-day permission to stay the first time, but often only seven days subsequently if the previous visit was recent. This occurred with little or no questioning, and I considered the approach quite smart. It made visits for illegal work scarcely feasible.

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Immigration officers in all countries might overly question someone.  Based on the persons entering the countries history.  And they probably do profile certain people.  That is the way immigration functions.  

That's probably the most reasonable explanation. Do you have any idea how many illegal immigrant workers from other Asian countries stay here? And what explanations they come up with when entering the country?

• Like 1

Here’s my take… Like most all countries, Thailand does have a fairly established set of objective standards for admissibility under one of the multiple entry methods provided for by law.. So, to that end, Immigration officers can’t independently “create” their own individual law…

that said, they DO have the legally established right to verify all of the facts, documents etc that a person presents for entry under their chosen method.. 

So, I see nothing overtly wrong with an officer stopping and questioning - to their satisfaction - any non-citizen passenger to verify their status against the entry method the passenger has stated earlier.

This doesn’t mean they can or should be impolite, unprofessional etc… but speaking to their legal right to temporarily detain and question, for purposes of determining admissibility, to me, seems well within their jurisdiction.

Its always an uncomfortable experience and not one that i’d hope on others, but i cede that it is a tool that immigration can and should use *with discretion and tact* to ensure compliance. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iaminwa said:

A lot of guys living in Thailand prefer Filipina girlfriends over Thai girls. I am one of them.

I know quite a few guys living here in retirement who bring in their girlfriends from the Philippines to live here with them.

He still comes out way ahead in costs with his Philippine investment!

<removed>

so a choice of partner is based on cost

At the end of all this, I'm left wondering what the purpose of immigration controls are at all. According to many on this forum, Thailand is chock full of guys on the run. And in the news, there seem tobe call centre scams operating out of every condo. Human trafficking is a multi billion THB business. Drugs pour in and out of the country with just the occasional bust. Counterfeit goods are everywhere, alongside Ferraris and Rollers.

But a young Filipina turns up. Has a return ticket. Has the correct entry visa. Has a wealthy bf with a totally legit address with whom she's lived for many years. Returning from a family visit. What do they think she's going to do here? Why is she of any interest to them at all?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bradiston said:

(I've changed the names)

They do this on telly and in newspapers and cover their voices up sometimes.. The only people who will know who they are from their REAL names or voices, are people who know them and so would know the story anyway.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

They do this on telly and in newspapers and cover their voices up sometimes.. The only people who will know who they are from their REAL names or voices, are people who know them and so would know the story anyway.

It's partly to avoid any repercussions from any one of a number of sources. Otherwise, nothing to hide.

• Like 1

I suspect there is more to this episode than the poster is aware of. Having said that, immigration officials all over the world question multiple visits by people with no apparent means of support. Nothing unusual in that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

I suspect there is more to this episode than the poster is aware of. Having said that, immigration officials all over the world question multiple visits by people with no apparent means of support. Nothing unusual in that.

Agreed....  it was touched upon how a 32 year old single female from the Philippines with repeated long term visits to Thailand would be profiled by immigration and questioned....  even more so when it turns out the lady in question was staying with a 77 year old man who paid for everything..... 

But...   We can’t discuss what immigration were 'probably' thinking and why the extra effort to question the lady was made because someone people became offended so the comments were removed. 

• Like 1

I am not surprised at all as the same thing happened in Brunei and strangely enough in MANILA AIRPORT ,again the passenger was attractive 30 y.o Pinay.

REASON UNTOLD IS ,IMMIGRATION SUSPECTS THE LADY IS COMING TO WORK AS A PRO. ASEAN has agreement on free 2 weeks entry amongst the member countries  for all their citizens but, certain immigration officers are BREAKING THE LAW.

WHAT CAN ONE DO? 

I would stand my ground firm and ask for an embassy official to attend the refusal interview and to enforce the legal right for entry.

I am hoping to bring my very attractive Pinay gf to Thailand before new years eve and hope we will not fight else I  will lose my temper badly. SOS ,ADVICE !!!

9 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

SOS ,ADVICE !!!

First, ensure she is entering with a visa. Next, do research to find a well connected legal firm that can help in the event of trouble at Immigration. Make sure your GF has the phone number and name of the correct person to call. In the event of an attempt to deny your GF entry, she should contact the lawyer who can successfully issue the appeal on her behalf, even though immigration would (illegally) almost certainly block any attempt by your GF to appeal directly herself. The few cases of which I am aware where this approach has been used lead to a rapid climb down by immigration as soon as they became aware of the submitted appeal.

20 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

REASON UNTOLD IS ,IMMIGRATION SUSPECTS THE LADY IS COMING TO WORK AS A PRO. ASEAN has agreement on free 2 weeks entry amongst the member countries  for all their citizens but, certain immigration officers are BREAKING THE LAW.

WHAT CAN ONE DO? 

ASEAn does not have a common entry rule for its member countries. Each country has there own rules.

For Thailand it is a 30 day visa exempt entry for those from the Philippines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Is that the Philippines has some unusual rules"

This is incorrect. You do not need a 'return' ticket but, same as Thailand, a ticket to anywhere out of the country. 

Furthermore, you can enter on a 30 day visa free entry, as in Thailand, but you can extend this every few months upto 3 years! without any hassle from immigration. I have several friends here who have done this

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

This is incorrect. You do not need a 'return' ticket but, same as Thailand, a ticket to anywhere out of the country. 

Furthermore, you can enter on a 30 day visa free entry, as in Thailand, but you can extend this every few months upto 3 years! without any hassle from immigration. I have several friends here who have done this

Are you trying to say that you can enter on a 30-day visa free entry without a return/onward ticket?

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Are you trying to say that you can enter on a 30-day visa free entry without a return/onward ticket?

No, you need an onward ticket out of the country. They check at check in at your point of departure. You have a choice there if you don't have one. Book one at the airport before checking in, which tends to be expensive compared to what you'd pay for a return, or abandon your flight.

I’m a U.S. citizen and I got drilled at LAX while my foreign wife went straight through. I asked what is it with all the questions I’m a U.S. citizen….. because I have a common name and their looking for someone…. They’ve got a job to do and as long as you don’t try to pull the wool over their eyes you be ok…

Its the the kind of treatment that thai and Philippina girls get in UK and Europe but usually the prejudice prevents them getting any kind of visa. This sounds like she's beeb here on a few dodgy  visa and I think more people who did the covid extensions will get gip in future...and we all now the Ed visa is heavily  abused. I wish her well. Pity we don't know the name of the Thai school not cooperating with the immigration  department

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

At the end of all this, I'm left wondering what the purpose of immigration controls are at all. According to many on this forum, Thailand is chock full of guys on the run. And in the news, there seem tobe call centre scams operating out of every condo. Human trafficking is a multi billion THB business. Drugs pour in and out of the country with just the occasional bust. Counterfeit goods are everywhere, alongside Ferraris and Rollers.

But a young Filipina turns up. Has a return ticket. Has the correct entry visa. Has a wealthy bf with a totally legit address with whom she's lived for many years. Returning from a family visit. What do they think she's going to do here? Why is she of any interest to them at all?

"According to many on this forum, Thailand is chock full of guys on the run. And in the news, there seem tobe call centre scams operating out of every condo. Human trafficking is a multi billion THB business. Drugs pour in and out of the country with just the occasional bust. Counterfeit goods are everywhere, alongside Ferraris and Rollers."

This is of course is a gross exaggeration as  indicated by the first 7 words  of the paragraph.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

"According to many on this forum, Thailand is chock full of guys on the run. And in the news, there seem tobe call centre scams operating out of every condo. Human trafficking is a multi billion THB business. Drugs pour in and out of the country with just the occasional bust. Counterfeit goods are everywhere, alongside Ferraris and Rollers."

This is of course is a gross exaggeration as  indicated by the first 7 words  of the paragraph.

Yeah, ok, so I'll tone it down and, leaving this forum aside, say simply according to what I read every day.

But don't the IOs have bigger fish to fry? No. Those fish are not for frying, obviously. It would make sense if they really thought she was part of a criminal gang, or maybe even vulnerable to one scam or another. But I guess they go for the easy targets. Can't mess with the Mafia.

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What do they think she's going to do here? Why is she of any interest to them at all?

if OP or his mate have to ask that question then they have no business living in South East Asia ????

@The Hammer2021sorry, comment is for OP. couldn't find that post.

Edited by Lemsta69

44 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Isn't this  a story of Thai immigration doing their job? I understand Jenny never overstayed, but no one can blame immigration to give extra scrutiny to people who seem to reside in Thailand on visas or exemptions destined to tourists.  

She was stuck here during COVID. She went home for 3 months. She came back. Where's the problem? It's just absurd. Destined for tourists? Like there's only so many they're going to issue? As Joe has pointed out, ASEAN citizens are allowed a 30 day visa. The IOs just have nothing better to do.

38 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

if OP or his mate have to ask that question then they have no business living in South East Asia ????

@The Hammer2021sorry, comment is for OP. couldn't find that post.

What on earth are you talking about? Yeah, I've no business for sure. Do you? Do you wave a WP?

You assume a single (actually not, she has an English boyfriend here, been here for 15 years off and on) Filipina is going on the game, just like that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

What on earth are you talking about? Yeah, I've no business for sure. Do you? Do you wave a WP?

You assume a single (actually not, she has an English boyfriend here, been here for 15 years off and on) Filipina is going on the game, just like that?

you really are clueless aren't you?