Thai pig farmers call for genuine crackdown on smuggled pork

webfact

image.jpeg

Pig farmers are demanding that the Ministry of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives aggressively cracks down on unscrupulous traders, who have been flooding the domestic market with smuggled pork which, they claim, will ruin the country’s pig rearing business in the long run.

The demand was addressed to Agriculture Minister Chalermchai Sri-on by the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand and pig farmers’ associations, representing farmers in five regions of the country.

Surachai Sutthitham, president of the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand, told the media yesterday (Tuesday) that smuggled pork is normally sold in markets at between 130 and 135 baht/kg, compared to 190-200 baht/kg for locally-produced pork.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pig-farmers-call-for-genuine-crackdown-on-smuggled-pork/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Surachai Sutthitham, president of the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand, told the media yesterday (Tuesday) that smuggled pork is normally sold in markets at between 130 and 135 baht/kg, compared to 190-200 baht/kg for locally-produced pork.

It's called competition ..................LOL ????????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anterian said:

So whwew is it smuggled from and why can't Thai farmers compete with this price,

I recall a similar story last month and the pork was from Germany and Poland. Totally agree - how they can buy and transport pork from the EU and undercut local prices. 

2 hours ago, anterian said:

So whwew is it smuggled from and why can't Thai farmers compete with this price,

Because most pig farmers in Thailand are employed by CP, and CP sets he price for everything from feed to retail price. Obviously foreign imports are far cheaper than the Thai monopoly on pigs.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, warrima said:

I recall a similar story last month and the pork was from Germany and Poland. Totally agree - how they can buy and transport pork from the EU and undercut local prices. 

Because the market price here is not set by market forces but by the CP family who own all channels of distribution and sale with the exception of smuggled pork sold at markets. 

By the way, anyone know where I can buy some smuggled pork.  I will fill my freezer at 135 baht a kilo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Sounds like the locally produced pork is too expensive... 

demand is for affordable pork.