Thailand’s new 10 year Long-term Resident Visa (LTR Visa) is now available

webfact

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Like I said before, for those who need a stable living situation a property and 30 year fixed interest home loan in your home country may be preferable (if you have credit and can afford the payment).

Most of us are old, I doubt I need a place to live for more than 5 years.

Then it's death or a care home.

I don't think they give people in their 60s and 70s a 30 year home loan, in any country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us are old, I doubt I need a place to live for more than 5 years.

Then it's death or a care home.

I don't think they give people in their 60s and 70s a 30 year home loan, in any country.

Exactly, I am in my 70's. I still like new scenery. But, at this age I will head back to the US in the next few years and sell my home and chill out.  Just pick a stable country that you think will be around for a while and you like and forget about it.

All this money , money, money nonsense in Thailand is for the younger crew.  

Thailand is comical IMHO, just waiting for the next one to roll out.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

you just stated you spend like 2 million baht per year and worry about 800k tied up? doesn't make much sense you know... I spend 40k a month and don't worry about 400k locked away. I still don't understand what's so good about this 'opportunity' 

Why does it not make sense to you.  800k in a bank here makes jack squat, reinvested elsewhere during the lost 3 years it was tucked away here as I did just to qualify for the visa without doing 12months of statements, could have increased its value considerably.....Do you think people that have money just let it sit idle for grins and giggles.  I did not obtain what I have now by leaving all in a bank savings account making .03%....foolish thoughts you have, or is it more to do with jealousy I can spend what I do.  Without investments I could not spend and would be reduced to living a low end lifestyle so my money made it until my end of life....

What is good about this opportunity is this:  If you can qualify, then you can travel in and out without re-entry permits which are needed to keep the current extensions alive, you can also keep your money elsewhere where it can make you money instead of sitting dormant, you only need to do 90 day reporting once a year (I realize it is easy to do 90 day reports), and when you travel back into the country you have the use of a designated I/O for speedy entry.  

26 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Exactly, I am in my 70's. I still like new scenery. But, at this age I will head back to the US in the next few years and sell my home and chill out.  Just pick a stable country that you think will be around for a while and you like and forget about it.

Guess as a late 50 year old, I have a long time to go and so this is a useful visa for myself.  Having lived in Thailand for many years as a retiree, and prior to that coming and going while married and on a Non Imm O visa for many years.  I started coming here in my 30's, use the Visa exempt entry and then would border bounce to return, before heading back to the US and work. Once I married I played the game with the Non -Imm O visa, then went to the O-A Visa after divorcing and turning 50, now a few years in since Covid I gave the O-A visa a rest and instead, and because of Covid,  went the extension of stay route.  Now the LTR will fit the bill just fine.  Could have done the elite visa but why throw money away, and ergo why the 800K was parked in the bank.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Like I said before, for those who need a stable living situation a property and 30 year fixed interest home loan in your home country may be preferable (if you have credit and can afford the payment).

Could always buy in your home country and rent here. I actually rent a home here and own one. The bought one is a bondage. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Could always buy in your home country and rent here. I actually rent a home here and own one. The bought one is a bondage. 

I agree. I tried that, rented my place with a property management company because it's a waste to just let it sit empty. One problem after another. It was like a part time job getting the rent and fixing every little problem.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I agree. I tried that, rented my place with a property management company because it's a waste to just let it sit empty. One problem after another. It was like a part time job getting the rent and fixing every little problem.

Agree 100%. I tried renting for about 4 years. What a nightmare. Constant hassle.  I keep mine vacant most of the time now. But, it stays in good condition and when I am ready it will go up for sale. 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:49 PM, JimTripper said:

One big reason is that if your a Us citizen you can get a home loan. So it's possible to live in a much nicer house in the Usa then one could otherwise afford without the hassles of renting or feeling like a pauper.

In Thailand, one would need to buy a condo or rent which is basically a small box and the size would be limited to cash on hand.

So the answer to your question is basically that you can't afford to not live in a small box.

First you have to qualify for a home and a lot of people can not unless it is a total dump.

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, but you are renting at the mercy of the landlord. Rent could go up or they may want to sell. If we are talking about retirement is that really how you want to live?

Not a big deal with a glut of rental properties available, but for some people that's not really 'home', it's just a temporary arrangement. Also, as one gets older moving all the time is a hassle to put it politely.

As far as buying property you can by a condo box which all look pretty similar to my eye sans the furniture, or you need the land in a Thai's name, or someone said you could do it under a company name but that option does not appear to be very popular (don't you need 51% Thai owned ????‍♂️).

Your statement, '...you can buy a condo box which all look pretty similar...' shows you have likely not done much looking at what is available in regard to condos available both in Thailand and in Pattaya, where I live.  I don't mean that as a dig; just that there is a tremendous variety of condos here--much, much more than what I had to choose from where I lived in the US.     

Certainly, there are lots of condos in those low-rise 'theme park' projects and they can, indeed, look alike--mostly small units, usually with identical furniture packages.  If that's all you've seen, you might think all condos look pretty similar.

But, they are just one type of condo.  There are plenty of other choices.  Looking for something bigger?  You can buy a full-floor condo at Northshore, right on Beach Road.  You have the entire floor to yourself and enter your condo via a bridge from the main tower.  4 bedrooms, 4 baths, 269 sqm.   Not exactly a 'condo box' and you can swing that cat to your hearts content.  Still not big enough for your needs?  There's the penthouse at 954 sqm.

Something similar is also available at Reflection condo at the southern end of Jomtien Beach--the A Building is entirely very large beachfront condos, just 2 to a floor.   Royal Cliff, Saranchol, The Cove, and many other projects all offer interesting condo choices, some with very large unit sizes available.

Looking for a condo high in the sky, beachfront, and it absolutely has to have it's own, private lap pool?  Copacabana in Jomtien has it.  The pools have a glass front so you'll feel like you're  swimming right into the sky and the ocean.   If you're ok with low-rise, Serenity condo has ground floor 3-bedroom condos with their own private pools.  Cetus condo in Jomtien offers what they call villa condos, some also with private pools.

Thinking a 2-floor duplex condo might be fun and different with a dramatic double-story living room?   They're available at Axis, Zire, Baan Plai Haad, and others.

Are you super-lazy and you just can't bring yourself to undertake that excruciating trek from the elevator in the hallway to your condo door down the corridor?  No problem.   Wong Amat Tower, Sanctuary condo, and some other projects all have condos available with the elevator stopping right in your condo.   

Do you crave a beachfront condo with a bathtub on the balcony to soak in while you sip a glass of wine and watch the sunset?  You'll find it at Arom condo, and likely others.  Hot tub balconies also available at a number of projects.

Maybe you'd like to own a house but you will only buy something in foreign quota, which limits you to condos.  Try Garden Cliff condo in Wong Amat.  My partner and I lived there and we felt like we were living in a beach bungalow, rather than a condo.  Direct oceanfront and just 6 units per floor.  We had an open walkway to our front door, flanked by windows with, yes, window flower boxes.  We even had a house-like screen door and a house-type mailbox.  3 big bedrooms with en suite baths, nice great room with living, dining and kitchen areas, and a large balcony overlooking the pool, with the ocean about 25 meters away down the cliff steps.  Really a special project, and about as different from a 'condo box' as you can get.

Just a few examples to, hopefully, show the variety of condos available in Pattaya.   Whether one prefers to rent or to own, there's something for just about everyone in all sizes and price ranges.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Your statement, '...you can buy a condo box which all look pretty similar...' shows you have likely not done much looking at what is available in regard to condos available both in Thailand and in Pattaya, where I live.  I don't mean that as a dig; just that there is a tremendous variety of condos here--much, much more than what I had to choose from where I lived in the US.     

Certainly, there are lots of condos in those low-rise 'theme park' projects and they can, indeed, look alike--mostly small units, usually with identical furniture packages.  If that's all you've seen, you might think all condos look pretty similar.

But, they are just one type of condo.  There are plenty of other choices.  Looking for something bigger?  You can buy a full-floor condo at Northshore, right on Beach Road.  You have the entire floor to yourself and enter your condo via a bridge from the main tower.  4 bedrooms, 4 baths, 269 sqm.   Not exactly a 'condo box' and you can swing that cat to your hearts content.  Still not big enough for your needs?  There's the penthouse at 954 sqm.

Something similar is also available at Reflection condo at the southern end of Jomtien Beach--the A Building is entirely very large beachfront condos, just 2 to a floor.   Royal Cliff, Saranchol, The Cove, and many other projects all offer interesting condo choices, some with very large unit sizes available.

Looking for a condo high in the sky, beachfront, and it absolutely has to have it's own, private lap pool?  Copacabana in Jomtien has it.  The pools have a glass front so you'll feel like you're  swimming right into the sky and the ocean.   If you're ok with low-rise, Serenity condo has ground floor 3-bedroom condos with their own private pools.  Cetus condo in Jomtien offers what they call villa condos, some also with private pools.

Thinking a 2-floor duplex condo might be fun and different with a dramatic double-story living room?   They're available at Axis, Zire, Baan Plai Haad, and others.

Are you super-lazy and you just can't bring yourself to undertake that excruciating trek from the elevator in the hallway to your condo door down the corridor?  No problem.   Wong Amat Tower, Sanctuary condo, and some other projects all have condos available with the elevator stopping right in your condo.   

Do you crave a beachfront condo with a bathtub on the balcony to soak in while you sip a glass of wine and watch the sunset?  You'll find it at Arom condo, and likely others.  Hot tub balconies also available at a number of projects.

Maybe you'd like to own a house but you will only buy something in foreign quota, which limits you to condos.  Try Garden Cliff condo in Wong Amat.  My partner and I lived there and we felt like we were living in a beach bungalow, rather than a condo.  Direct oceanfront and just 6 units per floor.  We had an open walkway to our front door, flanked by windows with, yes, window flower boxes.  We even had a house-like screen door and a house-type mailbox.  3 big bedrooms with en suite baths, nice great room with living, dining and kitchen areas, and a large balcony overlooking the pool, with the ocean about 25 meters away down the cliff steps.  Really a special project, and about as different from a 'condo box' as you can get.

Just a few examples to, hopefully, show the variety of condos available in Pattaya.   Whether one prefers to rent or to own, there's something for just about everyone in all sizes and price ranges.  

Looks like you stayed at garden cliff resort & spa, not garden cliff condo's. The condo's look like boxes to me. The resort is nice like you say but it's 1,900 baht a night.

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Looks like you stayed at garden cliff resort & spa, not garden cliff condo's. The condo's look like boxes to me. The resort is nice like you say but it's 1,900 baht a night.

We owned at Garden Cliff 1, the condo, not the resort/spa.  As I said, it was actually like a 3-bedroom bungalow.   There was an open walkway to the front door.  Two bedrooms looked to the front, the master bedroom and great room looked to the ocean.  Lived more like a house than a condo.  Not sure how you get a 'box' out of that.  My idea of a box would be a 1-room studio. 

In any case, my post was to point out the very wide variety of condos available here, much more than the selection I had in the bedroom community I lived in outside of Washington, DC.  The condo choices there were mostly 3-story projects with very little in the way of amenities--even the nice ones.  I lived in about 6 of the condo projects and never had covered parking.  Only 2 of the 6 had a small gym and a pool.  Covered parking, a gym, and a pool would be considered average amenities here.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, wwest5829 said:

Retired over a decade ago to a lower cost country since I could not afford a working middle class retirement in my own country. Bring in over a million Thai baht a year and support my Thai Wife and Stepdaughter. A win - win if those incapable of thinking long term stability don't try to grab at only "high worth" individuals. Millions of westerners in the same boat, plus the "sweet spot" of serving medical services (especially appealing to the Americans as they reject a national healthcare program).

One suspects they don't want the average pensioner in LOS, despite us collectively spending billions of baht on families, houses etc.

One has to wonder why?

On 9/5/2022 at 11:44 AM, Gknrd said:

That's fine so long as you no longer want attractive female company in their 30s or less.

IMO only really rich guys get that in western countries.

On 9/5/2022 at 6:31 AM, Gknrd said:

am not sure of the all the in's and out's of this visa but, If all you have to show is a couple of years of 80K / yr and get a 10 year visa then there are literally millions of guy in the west that wold qualify. If you are fixing to retire and know you want to retire in Thailand then it would be a dream come true.

Remember that to qualify for the retirement version, you must show $80k USD per year from pensions or similar, not employment. Now that becomes more of a select group of people. I have some decades up my sleeve, so am still gainfully employed. I would need to look at the other options, of which even fewer would qualify or care to park investments. The government has set a lofty goal of the number of visa applicants. I think they will be pulling up very short given the current terms.

• Like 1

I sadly have to agree. Thailand has a “sweet spot” appealing to the western working middle class. Especially Americans looking for an exotic tropical vacation location at reasonable prices, a location of a comfortable retirement and a location for world class medical care (since the U.S. has refused to provide a national healthcare program for its citizens). It seems, consistent with some folks attitude here of reaching for the quick earnings from the wealthy (thus the reported pyramid schemes, the Thai workers taken advantage of seeking work in other countries). Someone is either purposely ignoring the reality of marketing Thailand or so out of touch they cannot identify with the market. I suppose I cannot fault them, being an American who cannot afford to retire in my own country where some folks do not comprehend that the country is dependent on that numerous working middle class.

8 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Let me guess: As with the Thailand Elite Visa, the holders of this new visa won't be exempt from all the usual Thai immigration bull <deleted>, i.e., TM30s, 90-day reports, etc., etc?

Did you even bother to look at the LTR Visa benefits before you just decided to write non-sensical reasons you think are true.....No 90 day needed, just a 1 year report to Immigration, if returning to a residence you have a TM-30 for on file there has never been a need to complete a new TM-30.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like we are coming up on that first full year window and it will be time for the Annual report to be done.  My date to do mine was initially October 6th, but with flying out and back in in November it is now November 15th.  However, I will be headed out to the US in October and will not return until well after the Report date, so my 1st year full year report will be washed.  

For those of you coming up on the reporting date keep us up to date as to how you did it and how it went.