Thailand’s new 10 year Long-term Resident Visa (LTR Visa) is now available

webfact

47 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

What is your problem?

There's a visa for people like you already, in fact there are many: marriage visa, child support visa, retirement visa etc...

Here's another visa, for other people, why on earth does this bother you?

I do not currently face a problem with my O-A Visa but.  The insurance requirement caused heartburn when it was implemented as I have heart (colesterol) issues and, at my age cannot afford any health insurance, esp. excluding pre- existing conditions.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Some seriously bitter people who can not accept the new visa class as it is. Did you all  become moaners when they created the O-X visa which folks use.....

WRONG.......The O-X visa is virtually not used at all....Ask around....I bet its used by well under 1% of expats....

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is now welcoming applications for its new 10 year Long-term Resident Visa (LTR Visa), which is aimed at attracting foreigners of “high potential” to live and work in the country.

And hand over their money to bail-out cash strapped Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand is one of the  easiest countries to retire to, regarding visas. Just <deleted> 800k in the bank once a year, or pay an agent 14,000 baht a year for an illegal visa. 

I, as a Thai, woukd have to invest 17 million baht to get a similar visa in the USA 

Yet, many complain about immigration. 

Well, the US doesn't need your little money, while Thailand is begging these days.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Most here are retired and not working? What country pays 80,000 usd  a year unless they are talking about 80,000 baht.

Yes, most are, but why do we need to have anything against another option for some of us? And, how can you even bring up a measly sum of 80 000 baht when they are talking per year? Are you living on 6 000 - 7 000 baht per month?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Total waste of time and money. The 1 year renewable visa takes about 30 mins once a year at Immigration if you've prepared the documents. Costs peanuts. This govt are such scamsters. Quite a few wealthy friends currently overseas  have looked into it and decided its worthless. 

Again it is a visa for those that can qualify, and if I were to travel in and out once a year using my current retirement extension sion that's 2900 thb a year plus misc. Fees.  In the end this 10 year visa allows multiple ins and outs and runs almost the same if you were to get a ME reentry permit yearly, minus having to keep 800k on the bank.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

So you make over $80K USD a year 'eh?  <laughs> 
I love when farang 'go native' and adopt the Thai social standing model of "Rich people 'high' and the rest of you poor slackers 'low' and 'bitter.''"  :thumbsup:  Hysterical, but that divide is discussed many times each year and accentuated by the 'I'm richer than you' folk.  Well, at least we can sort out who is who.  

In the meantime, I could care less.  If Thailand thinks they can appeal to the "well-heeled, snooty wealthy" class of foreigners?  More power to them.

It is what it is and if you can qualify why not.  I could have bought an Elite but chose to save money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Its a stamp on your passport that allows you to stay in the country. 

Is bypassing immigration requirements, of course that is illegal. 

The discussion has been had before. There is provision in the regulations for an Immigration Officer to sign off on some requirements..... that is the 'loophole' often cited. 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The discussion has been had before. There is provision in the regulations for an Immigration Officer to sign off on some requirements..... that is the 'loophole' often cited. 

But NOT to get 14,000 baht for doing it! 

That's why they send the passports upcountry. 

Edited by Neeranam

Just now, jacko45k said:

You said the 'visa' was illegal.... I dispute that.

What, you expect a Thai official in a position of authority to sign off on something for free? :unsure:

It is illegal, but the chances of being prosecuted are slim.  However, I know some who have been made continue to pay for this illegal service, when trying to do it legally. Also, know a guy who had a fake 'education' visa who was refused entry to the country. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It is illegal, but the chances of being prosecuted are slim.  However, I know some who have been made continue to pay for this illegal service, when trying to do it legally. Also, know a guy who had a fake 'education' visa who was refused entry to the country. 

Good, I personally don't mind if they come down on this type of matter....but I assure you, it will be the foreigner who will be 'guilty', not the IO. I used an agent for the first time last renewal, but simply to avoid attending immigration as there were queues down to near the beach. 

People have to be aware, if they use an agent to bypass the 800k in the bank  requirement, they will likely have to do the same again next year. They are unlikely to meet the full prior year compliance of 800/400/800k for months 0-3, 4-10 and 11+12.

52 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, most are, but why do we need to have anything against another option for some of us? And, how can you even bring up a measly sum of 80 000 baht when they are talking per year? Are you living on 6 000 - 7 000 baht per month?

No it was a joke, like 80,000 USD a year.

18 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Absolutely, for a retiree it is. Hardly enough to cover costs of settling in US, and not enough for most European countries. 

17 million baht is plenty to settle into the US. However when you add on the 17 million to invest, that's $1 million. 

Do you really think this is small money or are you just being a member?

My prediction is that it will be more successful than the doomed Smart Visa, but not by as much as they hope.

That's because I think it will mostly cannibalize other visas rather than attract large numbers of fresh expats to Thailand. I can easily see why some people who qualify for the new LTR will switch to it from their current visa or extension, due to its unique benefits. For anyone who wasn't attracted by the existing options, on the other hand, I think those additional benefits won't be enough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

17 million baht is plenty to settle into the US. However when you add on the 17 million to invest, that's $1 million. 

Do you really think this is small money or are you just being a member?

You'd be lucky to find a decent home fo half a million. And than CoL is lower that in EU but still requires of 7 or 8k a month to have a good living. 

But then lest get back to your original post, requiring 17 Million to allow a Thai retiree to settle in US isn't asking too much. It is a risk benefit ratio, half a million USD isn't much, so what if you let in an illegal worker, mafia member, etc ? 

You see, admitting a young Thai with a good Masters degree and no money, is a much better deal than getting a Thai geezer with a modest bank account. 

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

pay an agent 14,000 baht a year for an illegal visa. 

Extensions/visas issued by Immigration offices, assisted by agents, are not "illegal visas", if they were, the many thousands of people who have used them over the past many decades would have had issues with them.   No reports of that at all.   The process of obtaining them may be a grey area but that does not make the visas illegal.

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You need to understand something. Each of Prawit's watches costs more than you'd bring into Thailand in a lifetime.

You need to look at it from Thai politician's perspective. Farang rich. Farang love Thailand. Farang must pay.

PS: And your wife and stepdaughter are quite high maintenance if they cost you over a million a year.

He didn't suggest that his wife and stepdaughter cost him over a million a year, just you stirring for no valid reason. 

What's possibly in the picture (unsaid and just my assumption, same as with many other farang incl., me), the 'over a million a year' brings him great happiness and comfort.

Good news, good value for money (if you want to equate it to money).  

• Like 2