Russia cuts off gas exports to Europe via Nord Stream indefinitely

Scott

23,076 Natural Gas Pipeline Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

File photo

London (CNN Business)Russia won't immediately resume exports of natural gas to Europe through its Nord Stream 1 pipeline, worsening a shortage that threatens to tip the continent into an energy crisis this winter.

On Friday, Russian state energy giant Gazprom said it would not resume flows through the pipeline on Saturday as planned because it had detected an oil leak at its Portovaya compressor station.  The pipeline has been shut since Wednesday for maintenance.

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Not sure whether Putin meant to do this, but he has certainly managed to expose the foolishness of German (no, Western) climate catastrophe alarmism.

Good luck, Europe, in getting through your winter without fossil fuels.

Looking at worldwide climate events the alarmism is very justified. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I hear the price of wood in Germany is sky high. What are they going to burn after they run out of trees?

Before the rise of Adolf, Germans were during German Marks by the wheelbarrow load. It was cheaper than buying wood for heat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RayC said:

I'm surprised that it has taken Putin this long to take this action. Shutting down/ Disrupting gas supplies is obviously his most effective non-violent weapon against the West.

Could be to do with funding his failing war.......Perhaps...????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Russia also needs the financial income from gas sales to the West

That's true to a degree but I would suggest Europe is more dependent on Russia in this instance. Europe needs to power its' industry and heat its' homes, and - in the short term - it cannot do so without experiencing severe disruption unless it imports Russian gas. 

Because of the huge increase in the price of gas, the value of Russian gas exports to Europe has remained roughly the same as it was before sanctions were imposed, despite volumes being significantly reduced.

I should withdraw my previous comment about being surprised that it took Russia this long to disrupt supplies. It makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, Russia holds most of the good cards here. It's possible (likely?) that Europe can look forward to a winter in which Russia turns the taps on and off quite regularly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And Putin needs to keep money flowing into the pockets of those propping him up.

To a degree. But those same people need to ensure that their depression does reach the stage whereby they feel inclined to leap through Russian hospital windows!

5 hours ago, blazes said:

Not sure whether Putin meant to do this, but he has certainly managed to expose the foolishness of German (no, Western) climate catastrophe alarmism.

Good luck, Europe, in getting through your winter without fossil fuels.

LOL. Seems the "renewable energy" isn't all it was cracked up to be!

Perhaps it's time for Germany to rethink nuclear- I believe they shut their nuclear plants a few years back and went for Russian gas instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Seems the "renewable energy" isn't all it was cracked up to be!

Perhaps it's time for Germany to rethink nuclear- I believe they shut their nuclear plants a few years back and went for Russian gas instead.

The only problem with renewable energy is that despite the various green parties in the EU warning about reliance on Russia for gas instead of moving to wind and solar faster and sooner they took the easy way out.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The only problem with renewable energy is that despite the various green parties in the EU warning about reliance on Russia for gas instead of moving to wind and solar faster and sooner they took the easy way out.

Not just Green Parties.

Ronald Reagan also warned of the dangers of relying on Russia for energy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Perhaps, when it comes down to it, they decided that renewables were never going to be enough, and they had to keep using fossil fuel.

As I see it, the real problem was the IMO misguided decision to stop using nuclear, the currently ( IMO ) only means of providing non carbon producing electrical power in sufficient amounts to satisfy multi million populations in countries without sufficient hydro resources.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RayC said:

I'm surprised that it has taken Putin this long to take this action. Shutting down/ Disrupting gas supplies is obviously his most effective non-violent weapon against the West.

The timing should not be a surprise. Doing this at the start of september is genius, it leaves plans to keep Europeans warm this winter in tatters and causes maximum disruption and fear. It leaves no time to build new coal or fossil fuel generators or reopen mothballed nuclear plants. If only Europeans had been warned of the dangers of relying almost solely on Russian energy imports to keep the lights and heaters on. All these government agencies around the world and literally NOBODY knew it was a dangerous situation?

If anybody did warn about this danger, please accept my apology, and name the one person that raised the alarm(and was mercilessly mocked for doing so).

• Thanks 1