When the Humidity Persists at 100% for Days, And not Much SUN, then, How does your wife dry your clothes, bedsheets, and socks/jockstraps/etc?

GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have rarely come across a clothes dryer, not to mention a clothes dryer with enough wattage to do the job right. 

Please define "enough wattage" so others can assist you in your quest for perfect dryness.

To answer the OP, we have a drying rack, clothes go from the machine and either get ironed and hung up or go on the rack if ironing not needed. Never had anything go stinky even when the weather isn't perfect. Perhaps you need to update your laundry technique?

We also have a tumble dryer, Madam likes to use it for towels as it "makes them fluffy".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Wives are assets, not expenses. 

If one works out well, then why not two? 

But, really, how many wives does a man need to iron his shirt? 

One should, IMHO, have one wife for every shirt that needs pressing. 

Just as we don't wear the same shirt every day of the week, so should we have seven wives. 

Whatever floats ya boat.

For the last 15 years every place I’ve lived in (in Thailand) has a tumble drier which does the job perfectly well. 

Before that I’d use a service which picked up & dropped off my laundry, they did the job perfectly well. 

When I ‘sandboxed’ in Phuket for two weeks I found a laundry service.

Its all a bit simple isn’t it ???  What’s so hard ?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Please define "enough wattage" so others can assist you in your quest for perfect dryness.

To answer the OP, we have a drying rack, clothes go from the machine and either get ironed and hung up or go on the rack if ironing not needed. Never had anything go stinky even when the weather isn't perfect. Perhaps you need to update your laundry technique?

We also have a tumble dryer, Madam likes to use it for towels as it "makes them fluffy".

Good question:

Whirlpool dryers, for example, are about 2500 watts, just judging from my recent googling, but this varies by model. 

Also, I guess you are familiar with the drying canopy that dries clothes quickly. This type of canopy almost completely obviates the need for pressing. 

But, if no sun, then no worky the canopy. 

Furthermore, I REALLY like your choice to refer to your wife as "Madam" in the 3rd-person. I have noted your choice in your posted comments, for some years. I would follow suit, surely, if I had a wife to whom I could refer, in the third-person. 

Maybe Madam, in English, is the next best to Khun ___? 

Maybe you should read The Dream of the Red Chamber, in Chinese, because you might appreciate it. There are many interesting honorifics in this classic novel from China. 

Unfortunately, times have changed.

You must be either very old, or deeply in love, or both. 

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For the last 15 years every place I’ve lived in (in Thailand) has a tumble drier which does the job perfectly well. 

Before that I’d use a service which picked up & dropped off my laundry, they did the job perfectly well. 

When I ‘sandboxed’ in Phuket for two weeks I found a laundry service.

Its all a bit simple isn’t it ???  What’s so hard ?

What seems so hard for you, apparently, is that you might not know much about the availability of clothes dryers in Thailand, other than the tourist traps you might be frequenting. 

Truth be told, I seldom see a clothes dryer here, or anywhere I have lived during past decades. 

Most people in Thailand agree that clothes dryers are not necessary, and that they are a needless waste of energy. 

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I never wear socks, and never wear underpants, never wear a top. Buy 30 or 31 pairs of shorts for 40 baht each per month wholesale, delivered by Honda wave on the first of every month. Wear once and throw away. 

What's your name then, Tarzan of the Apes? ????

Here is a factoid from Forbes, 2013.. 

"There are 87 million residential dryers in the U.S. These clothes dryers account for 6% of residential electricity consumption, which is roughly equivalent to the electricity consumed annually by the entire state of Massachusetts (60 billion kWh per year). The annual cost of operating America‘s clothes dryers adds up to about $9 billion."

Soon, the world will consume energy, per capita, on par with Australians and Americans. 

And soon, we will be at 500 parts per million concentration of CO2, before you know it. 

I just hope that we all enjoy riding this exponential curve, this rocket, towards our mutual oblivion. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

So, then, concerning one's personal choice whether or not to resort to using a clothes dryer for personal use, regularly, at home:

In short, the answer is obvious. 

YES! By all means! 

You should buy one, even a used one in good condition, and use your clothes dryer in order to both enhance your quality of life, as well to impress your neighbors. 

Please feel free to put your new clothes dryer in your living room, to show your neighbors, as you once did with your electric refrigerator, decades ago. 

After all, are we not developing nations? 

Therefore, we should develop! 

And is there anyone who would disagree? 

Every home around the world should have a clothes dryer. Just as every family in the world should have a functional toilet, too. 

So, then, how many clothes dryers will be required to meet the demand? 

Just divide 8 billion by 4. We have a huge potential market for clothes dryers around the world. Also, who will service the 2 billion clothes dryers? 

By 2035, we may add another billion to our plentiful numbers, according to the most recent UN prediction. 

And this increase in population might require an additional 300 million clothes dryers. 

As divorce rates continue to climb, mostly due to spiraling TINDER marriages, so will the need for clothes dryers increase, as TINDER people become ever more disenchanted with finding a beautiful "face" to marry, and settle for living alone in a studio apartment with a clothes dryer, instead of hooking up. 

At least, for male ex-Tinder lonely hearts, they will no longer be subjected to continual vocal fry. The hum and tossing of clothes in the clothes dryer is so much more soothing. 

What is my point? 

Anyway? 

The POINT is that there is no science, no technology, that can cure Human Nature. 

And, if human nature cannot be cured, then all possible pathways for mankind lead to the same endpoint, the same terminus. 

This is why choosing whether or not to use a clothes dryer, from a moral perspective, is now irrelevant. 

The unstoppable momentum is already baked into the system. 

Thusly, I would encourage my friends to buy clothes dryers, and use them religiously. 

There is no longer any need for worrying about almost anything. 

James Hansen was a fool. 

Why was James a fool? 

James underestimated the power of human nature. 

James, the natural scientist, did not study the social sciences. 

If he had studied more of the social sciences, then he might not have taken the trouble to chain himself to the White House fence. 

Obviously, given what we now know, it is best for friends to just do what they like. 

The days of worry are OVER! 

E.O. Wilson, be darned! 

Everybody must get stoned. 

Do what you like. 

Our supertanker is heading for the shoals. And, there is nothing to stop her. Her momentum is ever forward and onward.

Please don't feel guilty, these days, for doing whatever you like. 

Too many people, these days, rely on BLIND FAITH.

Why?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

My wife has todays washing hanging on clothes horses ,

hanging on clothes hangers with fans blowing on them,

This year has been bad for drying washing as there has

been so much rain,but I  would still not buy a clothes dryer for

maybe a few days when you cannot put them out in the

Sun , which is better and free.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My wife has todays washing hanging on clothes horses ,

hanging on clothes hangers with fans blowing on them,

This year has been bad for drying washing as there has

been so much rain,but I  would still not buy a clothes dryer for

maybe a few days when you cannot put them out in the

Sun , which is better and free.

regards worgeordie

Regards. 

Thank you for understanding this topic, almost completely. 

Regards,

Regards 

As my GF does the washing, drying and ironing, my involvement is minimal.

We don't have a clothes dryer. It's simply a matter of hanging out the clothes, sheets and towels under cover. If it takes one hour, or three days, so be it.

Americans have some good qualities, patience is not one of them. Hurry hurry hurry.

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What seems so hard for you, apparently, is that you might not know much about the availability of clothes dryers in Thailand, other than the tourist traps you might be frequenting. 

Its patiently obvious that it is you who is suffering and complete disconnect from reality, particularly your complete lack of knowledge about the availability of clothes dryers in Thailand... 

... Just walk into any store which sells home appliances and they have a whole range. 

There’s a HomePro in pretty much very provincial town. Or buy online and have them delivered and fitted. 

So many different models from various well known brands. 

https://www.homepro.co.th/c/APP1302

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/th/catalogsearch/result?q=Drier

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

These tourist traps are the same place Thai’s are also getting their white goods ?

Fridges / Washing Machines / driers... 

Any HomePro, PowerBuy, PowerMall has loads of these products.

So how would you know these products are not very good ? (going by your earlier posts). 

How would you know that ?....    

Going by the topic itself is seems you believe drying clothes is an issue given the high humidity... so why are these dryers not necessary?

In 25 years here... I’ve found having a clothes dryer to be quite essential. 

As essential as owning a car... which you may also suggest is a needless waste of energy ????

What you mean by all of this is in ‘your understanding’ and you project this understanding (or more accurately assumption) on how everyone else should live. 

And... the Thai's who do not have tumble dryers - there are lots of laundry services, for those who do not use these laundry services there are loads of laundrettes around. 

I think not as essential as having a car Richard 

In our rural area I have never come across a dryer in a home, but almost every household has transport 

Now if I was to hazard a guess as to why a drier would be 'essential' to working city folk, I would suggest negating the need to iron, coupled with the reluctance to provide many sets of work clothing because good drying space is not readily available, and of course that crucial element of spare time not being utilised on a sit in the laundry 

I would however suggest also in the city a dryer falls well behind the transport requirement 

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Happy for you that you find it so convenient to keep your socks dry, wherever you go in Asia. 

But, more interestingly, what would you estimate the household ownership of clothes dryers in Thailand to be, perchance? 

And, for that matter, how many Bentley automobiles do you see rolling down the roads, on any given Sunday, in the countrysides of Thailand? 

I wonder why are you still living here?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please read the question posed in the topic's title. 

As far as I know, this question is on most everyone's mind at this particular time. 

We are, it seems, experiencing a most favorable very wet raining season, this year. 

I am tired of seeing farmers so stressed with worry about not receiving enough rain. 

It's a small price for me to pay, due to so much rain, that I should use my AC to dry my laundry. 

In addition, using an AC to dry laundry, as I do, is far more energy efficient than using a Korean clothes dryer. 

Why? 

Just because I could easily dry 200 kilograms of clothes in 5 hours using just one AC and two fans. 

And total energy expenditure for the entire process would amount to no more than about 4 kilowatt-hours. 

I could explain it to you, but 

When you post comments aside from your topic and people reply to them there's no need to read the title of your thread. 

40-60฿ into the industrial dryer at my nearest laundromat.  job done.  The place I go uses dryers that have proper exhaust and the clothes are dry in 30-45 min.  About 2 years ago, another coin-op laundry opened down the street with some new Bosch condenser dryers.  They were cute, but the clothes don't get dry in that type of machine for at least 2 hours.  They setup the time/cost of the coin machine part to be the same as other shops that have exhaust.  needless to say, that shop didn't last long.

I've used a hair dryer before when it's too damp outside for clothes to dry fast enough to not get funky.   Works on small items/small quantities, and then you save doing big laundry for when weather is better. 

I suppose if the damp weather lasted for weeks and you had to wash and dry bedding, then rigging something to suspend it indoors over furniture and using a box fan would work just fine. 

Then there is always the laundromat as one poster pointed out. 

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

We Americans love power, and the more the better, which is something you probably have heard about.

Power, especially world dominance, in clothes dryers, is just something that Americans know a lot about.

Anytime I see a tiny UK clothes dryer, I laugh my head off....sorry

How bizarre, but whatever floats your boat. FYI there are huge ones in the UK too, but what use does a standard household have for one just to say ‘we have a huge tumble drier’?

The large Otteri laundromat industrial driers are gas and electric powered and are all over Thailand. Would they be big enough or do you want to dry your entire tambon’s clothes all at once because you can? ????

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, then, concerning one's personal choice whether or not to resort to using a clothes dryer for personal use, regularly, at home:

In short, the answer is obvious. 

YES! By all means! 

You should buy one, even a used one in good condition, and use your clothes dryer in order to both enhance your quality of life, as well to impress your neighbors. 

Please feel free to put your new clothes dryer in your living room, to show your neighbors, as you once did with your electric refrigerator, decades ago. 

After all, are we not developing nations? 

Therefore, we should develop! 

And is there anyone who would disagree? 

Every home around the world should have a clothes dryer. Just as every family in the world should have a functional toilet, too. 

So, then, how many clothes dryers will be required to meet the demand? 

Just divide 8 billion by 4. We have a huge potential market for clothes dryers around the world. Also, who will service the 2 billion clothes dryers? 

By 2035, we may add another billion to our plentiful numbers, according to the most recent UN prediction. 

And this increase in population might require an additional 300 million clothes dryers. 

As divorce rates continue to climb, mostly due to spiraling TINDER marriages, so will the need for clothes dryers increase, as TINDER people become ever more disenchanted with finding a beautiful "face" to marry, and settle for living alone in a studio apartment with a clothes dryer, instead of hooking up. 

At least, for male ex-Tinder lonely hearts, they will no longer be subjected to continual vocal fry. The hum and tossing of clothes in the clothes dryer is so much more soothing. 

What is my point? 

Anyway? 

The POINT is that there is no science, no technology, that can cure Human Nature. 

And, if human nature cannot be cured, then all possible pathways for mankind lead to the same endpoint, the same terminus. 

This is why choosing whether or not to use a clothes dryer, from a moral perspective, is now irrelevant. 

The unstoppable momentum is already baked into the system. 

Thusly, I would encourage my friends to buy clothes dryers, and use them religiously. 

There is no longer any need for worrying about almost anything. 

James Hansen was a fool. 

Why was James a fool? 

James underestimated the power of human nature. 

James, the natural scientist, did not study the social sciences. 

If he had studied more of the social sciences, then he might not have taken the trouble to chain himself to the White House fence. 

Obviously, given what we now know, it is best for friends to just do what they like. 

The days of worry are OVER! 

E.O. Wilson, be darned! 

Everybody must get stoned. 

Do what you like. 

Our supertanker is heading for the shoals. And, there is nothing to stop her. Her momentum is ever forward and onward.

Please don't feel guilty, these days, for doing whatever you like. 

Too many people, these days, rely on BLIND FAITH.

Why?

Did you forget to take your medicine?

Our landlord installed an ingenious device that blows hot air on the clothes we hang on racks in front of it.  Another really useful feature is that while the hot air is drying our clothes, the other end of the device is cooling our living room.