Most of Thailand’s foreign arrivals in July were Malaysian tourists

snoop1130

With the reopening and dropping of restrictions --You expect--short term- -the closer the country, the more the visitors.

Most European/American  families  would plan 1 year ahead for an Asian  holiday, many are still trying to get their deposits back from travel agencies/Airlines etc.

Some hard times  (world wide) Yes-but In spite of it all--it doesn't look like Thailand is about to collapse--or the Baht being any worse off.

I know its a great disappointment to some of the posters on here---sorry Guys.............:coffee1:

Why is the THB strong?---Bloomberg-15 August 2022 at 7:00 am GMT+7Updated on15 August 2022 at 11:47 am GMT+7

Tourists Pouring Back Into Thailand Underpin Outperforming Baht

Baht’s 2.3% gain this month leads the region by a wide margin

Narrowing current-account deficit, weak dollar helped baht too

Thailand’s baht rebounded so rapidly in the past few weeks on optimism about

the country’s tourism-led growth that it’s already hit year-end analyst targets.

The currency jumped 2.3% to about 35.45 per dollar this month, leading gains

in Asia by a wide margin. In addition to rising forecasts for tourists arrivals, the

advance is also being driven by a narrowing current-account deficit due to falling oil prices.

The surge means the baht has already touched the 35.2 level forecast for the fourth quarter

by analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. The rapid gains also feed into the debate over whether the

dollar has peaked, as analysts start to weigh in on the right time to return to emerging markets,

which had seen capital outflows as the US embarked on aggressive rate hikes.

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Indeed Indians won't spend on booze [and ST] as much as the single Brits and Ozzies, they [their wives] spend on Louis Vuitton, while they stay on 4 and 5 star hotels.

I find it interesting that your only measure of tourist spending be alcohol consumption.

But the isn't such thing as a perfect tourist.

Don’t forget about us Americans—we love to party, too.

Edited by Isaan sailor

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats not true. Visited 6 cities great weather everyday. Not 1 day was rained out. Rained 4 or 5 nights, small amount during the day.

Stop watching the tv.

So what country are you visiting? As floods are everywhere up northern Thailand.306493447_2242700989231530_399792013861092484_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s110x80&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=557-GcpK19YAX8JMCP7&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=00_AT869bQXB6KCSxI3tw-QNBfffILPcWwxp793ZQyN5YLq-A&oe=6325D8C1

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 2

Yes, Hat Yai is busy, almost getting back to normal.

It's school break in Malaysia so holiday time. Money's tight, as it is for many in the current economic climate, so a near home holiday in Thailand is a great option. I've a Malaysian friend visiting Hat Yai next week, bringing wife and kids up on the train, it's only about 5 hours from KL to Padang Basar. 

No flooding here, weather here has been very pleasant this last week.

1 minute ago, bang saen guy said:

Do Malay visitors that cross the border, go ST, then return to Malay counted as tourists?

Yep, same as the western farangs that save all year for that 1 week of hooker sex in Patts ????

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

So what country are you visiting? As floods are everywhere up northern Thailand.306493447_2242700989231530_399792013861092484_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s110x80&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=557-GcpK19YAX8JMCP7&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=00_AT869bQXB6KCSxI3tw-QNBfffILPcWwxp793ZQyN5YLq-A&oe=6325D8C1

Chiang Mai is in Northern Thailand I think. No flooding there at least that I know of - it does rain on and off as it should in this season. Plenty of tourists. Ping river level very high, but still about 1m below critical.

54 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Malaysian tourists, Interesting.  Definitely not a wealthy country.  Mostly Muslim., No drinking.  Malaysian beaches are much nicer.  

They must be coming for the temples and Thai culture.  

you obviously don't know Malaysians. Border cities have always been bustling with Malaysian tourists and they are big spenders. They love to dine and love drinking. 

i do agree that Malaysia has beautiful beaches. Its an amazingly beautiful country with great food and nice warm people. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Malaysian tourists, Interesting.  Definitely not a wealthy country.  Mostly Muslim., No drinking.  Malaysian beaches are much nicer.  

They must be coming for the temples and Thai culture.  

were there muslim holidays/long week ends in July, usually that's when they cross the border but wonder if they make it all the way up to BKK, the majority of them drive thus mostly would stay in the south

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

were there muslim holidays/long week ends in July, usually that's when they cross the border but wonder if they make it all the way up to BKK, the majority of them drive thus mostly would stay in the south

That's good reasoning.  

There's plenty of Muslims food, minarets,etc. 

Edited by MrJ2U

Comparing farang tourists to asian tourists and lumping them as one number of arrivals is obfuscating the picture. Farang tourists stay on average 4 weeks. One Malaysian tourist will spend much less time, often only a weekend, that is 10x less time and money than a typical farang. Both will be counted as equal. On the other hand, a Malaysian tourist may visit more times in a year. What can show a more real picture of what is happening is a count of tourist-days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Comparing farang tourists to asian tourists and lumping them as one number of arrivals is obfuscating the picture. Farang tourists stay on average 4 weeks. One Malaysian tourist will spend much less time, often only a weekend, that is 10x less time and money than a typical farang. Both will be counted as equal. On the other hand, a Malaysian tourist may visit more times in a year. What can show a more real picture of what is happening is a count of tourist-days.

In 2019, European tourists stayed an average 16.8 days in hotels; Americans, 14.4 days.  Not 'an average 4 weeks'.  The average for all international hotel guests that year was 9.26 days.  Sounds about right to me.   My sisters visited in 2017 for 10 days.  That average stay has remained pretty consistent since 2010--always 9 days and change except 2012 when it was 10.2 days.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of my friends and I are referring to ourselves as foreigners these days. I am not a PC guy, nor am I thin skinned. But, I leave that term farang to those who do not know any better. At a minimum it means white skinned outsider. 

Every Thai uses it. We are farangs.